Politics/Philosophy of Trek Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Eddington to Sisko
You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious; you assimilate people, and they don't even know it.
Okay this quote was about the Federation, the Federation is being described as worse than the Borg in that in a sense freedom of choice, freedom of choice is surrendered in the Federation under an illusion of freedom ~ a tangiable freedom is surrendered so that you feel free but in fact are not. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Governments seek to control people by constantly introducing regulations in the guise of protecting citizens while in reality continually enhancing their own powers. That's my take on it anyway.

A fascinating question. It has always made me smile when I've heard characters talk about how 'the Federation' is mostly benevolent - but is it? I remember one great analogy posed by Quark in DS9, when he compared the Federation to prune juice. The Cardassian tailor/spy (what was his name?) called it 'insidious', to which Quark responded 'the scary thing is, if you get enough of it, you start to like it'. I sometimes feel sorry for all those planets that entered the Federation in a half-hearted way. I've always seen the Federation as a futuristic European Union; mixed intentions, mixed results, and no one completely happy.

It is wonderful that you raised the Borg issue because until the Borg were introduced in TNG, we always took it as given that the notion of the Federation was good, and that it was 'the' best way to bring planets together. However, the Borg collective didn't really strive for a union, but 'perfection'. I suppose, the question is thus - is the Federation a perfect union?

One would argue not; look at all the wars we had, be it wars with Klingons or Cardassians, Borg or Dominion, and lets not even get started on the internal struggles. As a union, I would argue that the Borg works better - they essentially work as one because they are one, but where does that leave the federation?

The quotation in question is not right about everything, however. I agree that the Federation does attempt to assmilate people, but I would argue that the Federation isn't aware of it themselves, let alone the people they are assimilating! On this basis, they are inherently more naive than the Borg and less realistic - hence the many problems.

Ant.

You forgot the :eyebrow:

I do think that the Federation has a much darker underbelly and that is in it's relationship with Starfleet. Now while the Federation is government Starfleet is millitary, it seems that they can get to loggerheads because they each wield a fair ammount of power. When push comes to shove it is entirely possible for Starfleet to sieze control (as almost happened in DS9).

And another thing, what about Section 31 ~ that is part of starfleet and it existed before the federation. They engage in the very forms of warfare that go against the principles of the Federation in order to protect it. It that allright?

On one hand you had the Cardassians with the Obsidian Order ~ a fascist police state. On the other there was the Federation with it's own secret intelligence service. There is a difference between the two of course but it is interesting to think about, which would be more effective.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom