Politics and Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I want to post a few quotes by Bono in one of his recent speeches. You can find the whole article in "The Goal is Soul" - Forum, aWAKE thread.

I do think this is also a political topic, and therefore demands to be discussed on FYM as well.

Those quotes are intended to make us think about the extent to which we integrate the Scriptures into our daily life - business decisions we make, politicians we support or not, smiles we give or refuse to give, what we teach to the next generation,...

"In the Scriptures we are not advised to love our neighbor, we are commanded."

"God is not looking for alms; God is looking for action"

"We are daily standing by while millions of people die for the stupidest reason of all: money."

"There are 2,300 verses of Scripture pertaining to the poor. History will judge us on how we deal with this crisis. God will judge us even harder"

"We must wake up the sleeping giant of the Church; we must set alarm clocks to rouse our politicians who also slumber. The choice is there before each and every one of us: to stop and tend to the distant pilgrim sick on the side of the road, or, a nervous glance, and we turn away . . . away from the pilgrim, away from God?s grace"

Are we living up to what the Bible says? Are the Scriptures part of our concrete daily life? Do they influence our political actions or opinions? Do they show us the way to go? Are we believing in the Bible theoretically, like a kind of far ideal we should strive for, but do nothing in concrete? Or are we following God?s words?

What are our beliefs based on? Are our actions following our beliefs?

While it may seem common sense, it has always been a difficult part of living by faith.

There are those who fill themselves with the Word, but fail to turn it into consistent action.

There are those who fill their lives with good deeds, but substitute their own judgement of what is good and subordinate the Word.

When working with kids, I always try to have them identify a Truth about God from Scripture and create an application for themselves to put into action that week. We can fill our heads with God, but until we ask ourselves "How do I ...." and commit to changing our lives, the head knowledge is all for nothing.

nbcrusader said:
While it may seem common sense, it has always been a difficult part of living by faith.

There are those who fill themselves with the Word, but fail to turn it into consistent action.

There are those who fill their lives with good deeds, but substitute their own judgement of what is good and subordinate the Word.

When working with kids, I always try to have them identify a Truth about God from Scripture and create an application for themselves to put into action that week. We can fill our heads with God, but until we ask ourselves "How do I ...." and commit to changing our lives, the head knowledge is all for nothing.

:up:

nbcrusader said:

I agree. It's an interesting topic. Politics and Religion, the two most common reasons for war yet ideally both oppose it.

It's interesting to me because there are so many people who try to live a life of faith yet when it comes to politics their faith is put on the sidelines.

Then there are those who try and force their faith into the politics often resulting in exclusion, intolerance, and division.

The lines between the two are very fine lines and often dangerous ones. Personally I feel the only way to have the two exist without contradiction is to allow faith to be in your politics, but not to have politics be of your faith. If that makes any sence.

My faith guides my actions.. not the other way around . The scriptures hold much truth and they leave much to interpretation.
I have always beleived in love thy neighbour not as an religious ideal but as a guideline for humanity . I also think God believes in me much more then I believe in him sometimes.

I have to be able to look at myself and be morally responsible everyday for my actions

A favourite quote from Bono goes something like" Don't ask god to bless what you are doing, find out where god is and do that , it is already blessed". ( I might have gotten it a little mixed up)

Another setiment that god doesnt need our help.. he wants us to help each other..

I think we can do our part by voting our values not just for a political party.

It's always gonna be a fine line church and state

I pretty much agree with all of you :up:

nbcrusader, the example with the kids is great!

Back
Top Bottom