Politicians who vote AGAINST hurricane relief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
I think we can find a balance between the two. Government is best suited to build and maintain infrastructure (the build highways, patrol streets, dam rivers, etc. you cite). But I think the other groups cited by iron horse would be better at listening and responding to those in need.

on a Katrina-sized scale?

no way.

and, further, what's to prevent a private organization from making their "aid" contingent upon acceptance of a particular worldview? you know, all those prison "mentors" Bush talked about in his 2002 State of the Union address when he talked about faith-based initiatives?

also, do you think that groups who are opposed to the use of condoms are really the best people to be combating HIV/AIDS?

Last edited:
the iron horse said:

In my view this should be left to local/national charities, churches, synagouges, other religious organizations,schools, individuals, and local and state agencies.

Last time I checked none of these organizations had helicopters, armed guards, or anything really that gives them the ability to handle a disaster this size. It has absolutely nothing to do with Big Brother.

I think you would be surprised at the amount of aid arriving by from NGOs, both in money and manpower. They are the ones taking care of the people while the government repairs the levees and rebuilds the infrastructure.

And I doubt any church or other group would make their aid contingent on acceptance of their worldview.

BonoVoxSupastar:

"Last time I checked none of these organizations had helicopters, armed guards, or anything really that gives them the ability to handle a disaster this size. It has absolutely nothing to do with Big Brother."

Has the Federal government banned these tools from the people?

*just thinking they are trying to ban everything* (whole milk is next :eek)

I'm not saying the Federal govenment should not help, I am just saying that the help should come from the people,

not Big Brother.

Last edited:
the iron horse said:

Has the Federal government banned these tools from the people?

*just thinking they are trying to ban everything* (whole milk is next :)*

I'm not saying the Federal govenment should not help, I am just saying that the help should come from the people,

not Big Brother.

So then how do you vote against it if you want them to help?

Do you honestly want a church that has armed guards and helicopters?:huh:

Sorry but I'm just not following your logic.

"Do you honestly want a church that has armed guards and helicopters?"

Just to answer your question BonoVoxSupastar,

Yes, that sounds better than armed guards and helicopters from Big Brother.

the iron horse said:
"Do you honestly want a church that has armed guards and helicopters?"

Just to answer your question BonoVoxSupastar,

Yes, that sounds better than armed guards and helicopters from Big Brother.

I'm being completely honest when I say this; You scare me.

We'd have a nation of mini holy wars if that ever occured.

"I'm being completely honest when I say this; You scare me."

I guess we see things differently BonoVoxSupastar.

You prefer having a Federal gorvernment with all the power and arms.

I would like to keep this freedom and responsibilty in the hood.

I voted LIbertarian last election, who did you vote for?

the iron horse said:

You prefer having a Federal gorvernment with all the power and arms.

I would like to keep this freedom and responsibilty in the hood.

I prefer an organization that has checks and balances have the arms, not the church, KKK, or any other organization with an agenda.

the iron horse said:

I voted LIbertarian last election, who did you vote for?

Not the dude that's in office right now.

MrBrau1 said:
There weren't any Dems voting against it. They all supported it.

Only 11 Republicans voted against it.
:up: Close your eyes and make it go away,...pray .

nbcrusader said:

And I doubt any church or other group would make their aid contingent on acceptance of their worldview.

I think you are naive if you truly believe that no church or other group would make aid contingent of accepting their view, especially if there was no big government organisation to go to instead.

I don't think all church groups would do this, but I think some sure as hell would.

So I am naive because I don't share your bias? Nice.

Having worked with church groups providing relief, I know first hand. And I've not read reports of church groups turning away non-believers.

Back
Top Bottom