political harrassment happens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
The back end of my parents' car got smashed in. We didn't know how on earth this happened. Then someome suggested that it was their Kerry/Edwards bumpersticker that someone was after. The thing had indeed been ripped off. Gosh, what's happened to our democratic rights to vote as we see fit? This is certainly not going to get GWB our votes. I am really pissed off. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

You're not kidding SD. This is childish, undemocratic, and idiotic. It actually makes me feel a little less guilty about a screw-up I committed last week. I didn't do anythng *intentionally* wrong. I made an "Aspie mistake", something we Aspies do naturally. We are notorious social misfits who make alot of mistakes socially. My good friend NBCrusader is also an Aspie, and I have alot of respect for all of the amazing things he's overcome to have the life he has. Congrats, NBC!:madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I get heckled all the time at school because of my support for Kerry/Edwards. From the typical "JOHN KERRY SUCKS!!!" to the stupid "THERE ARE NO DEMOCRATS IN THE SOUTH!!" Uh huh. Bull. I try to keep a cool head and ignore it (what's the point in arguing with people who a. won't listen b. don't have a clue what they're talking about). I'm shocked that my car hasn't been vandalized yet. Every day as I walk out of school I inspect my car to make sure it hasn't been purposely damaged.

My parent's Kerry-Edwards sticker was ripped off of their car. And signs supporting Kerry-Edwards have been stolen throughout my parents neighborhood. The police have been driving in and out of the neighborhood to prevent further problems. Not one Bush sign has been lifted. I think it is a shame that this is going on.

Last edited:
Around here there's vandalism of both Bush and Kerry signs. Some bush signs were actually burned. As much of a temptation it is for me to rip the Bush signs (yes i admit it it's a temptation!) I don't do it because i think of how i would feel if someone stole my kerry/edwards stuff. It's just stupid and nothing is accomplished.

Last edited:
U2democrat, an Aspie is someone with Asperger's Syndrome. It's a mild form of autism. It's basically a "nuisance". We basically are "social misfits" who have trouble fitting in any of these nice, neat boxes people want to put us in. I'm an idealogical oddball. I'm a practicing Catholic and a liberal. Some people claim that's incongruous. I couldn't disagree more, because that is what I am.

Yeah, we've had harrassment of both Democrats and Republicans around here. There have been reports of both getting their signs ripped off. It's all so f:censored:d up. What about our rights?

verte76 said:
U2democrat, an Aspie is someone with Asperger's Syndrome. It's a mild form of autism. It's basically a "nuisance". We basically are "social misfits" who have trouble fitting in any of these nice, neat boxes people want to put us in. I'm an idealogical oddball. I'm a practicing Catholic and a liberal. Some people claim that's incongruous. I couldn't disagree more, because that is what I am.

Thanks for clarifying!

There's no such thing as a social misfit here at interference. :)

I am so sorry to hear about the vandalism and sign pilferage that has happened to you, Verte and MVD. This does not help Bush's cause. Ripping up and burning Bush signs does not help Kerry, either.

I was thinking of putting a Kerry bumper sticker on my car...until it got egged two nights ago. If it got egged for no apparent reason, imagine if I'd put the sticker on the car!

Dang Diane, that's horrible!

As I was driving to church this evening I saw a man putting an obviously bent up Kerry/Edwards sign back in his yard, and several that i usually see were missing. Stupid people.

I believe in no other law as strongly as I believe in the first amendment. I love Kerry but I love the right to vote and speak your opinion more.

Ah, so my partner is an "Aspie". I wasn't aware of this term before, I thought you meant you were from Aspen and that all people from Aspen are notorious for making mistakes.

<--- not american

furry

foray said:
Ah, so my partner is an "Aspie". I wasn't aware of this term before, I thought you meant you were from Aspen and that all people from Aspen are notorious for making mistakes.

<--- not american

furry

haha i thought the same thing!

verte76 said:
You're not kidding SD. This is childish, undemocratic, and idiotic. It actually makes me feel a little less guilty about a screw-up I committed last week. I didn't do anythng *intentionally* wrong. I made an "Aspie mistake", something we Aspies do naturally. We are notorious social misfits who make alot of mistakes socially. My good friend NBCrusader is also an Aspie, and I have alot of respect for all of the amazing things he's overcome to have the life he has. Congrats, NBC!:madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Sorry about the violence you have experienced. It seems as if society is putting so much emphasis on the election, that we are missing the bigger picture. We will be no better off on Nov. 3 if either side continues harboring hatred in their hearts.

You are too kind in your words regarding Ausperger's. There are times when I feel I can "cover it up". Having a 9-year old son with the same condition, there are days when I see his "mistakes", remember the same mistakes from my childhood and the mistakes I make today. It can take its toll, but I see my role as giving my son far better preparation for life than I ever received. I am thankful to God for showing this all to me.

nbcrusader said:

Sorry about the violence you have experienced. It seems as if society is putting so much emphasis on the election, that we are missing the bigger picture. We will be no better off on Nov. 3 if either side continues harboring hatred in their hearts.

You are too kind in your words regarding Ausperger's. There are times when I feel I can "cover it up". Having a 9-year old son with the same condition, there are days when I see his "mistakes", remember the same mistakes from my childhood and the mistakes I make today. It can take its toll, but I see my role as giving my son far better preparation for life than I ever received. I am thankful to God for showing this all to me.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "mistakes"? And, is there medication to take for Ausperger's, or do you have to deal with it? This is interesting to me

U2democrat said:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "mistakes"? And, is there medication to take for Ausperger's, or do you have to deal with it? This is interesting to me

I take stuff for it, but not everyone does. It depends on the individual case. Some use resources like OASIS, an online resource information for Aspies, and a whole slew of other resources are out there also. Uh, "mistakes". We make alot of mistakes in social situations. Sometimes we're rude, or do something else inappropriate, and don't have a clue we're making a mistake.

Oh, yes, I hope people can put the partisan stuff aside after the election. Unfortunately whoever wins, half the country is going to feel ripped off and bitterly disappointed. This scares me. I can't imagine what the newspapers are going to be writing about the guy who loses. He'll get raked over the coals. Why? No one's perfect.

U2democrat said:

In a nutshell, social interaction does not come naturally for a person with Asperser’s. Everything is learned academically.

Think of it this way. Social interaction appears as a curve. An Aspie only understands straight lines. At first, the Aspie tries to mimic appropriate social behavior, but is always missing the curve. Over time, appropriate responses and interactions are learned and the straight lines become smaller and smaller, more closely matching the curve.

The “mistakes” occur when we realize that the social response (or lack thereof) made was not really appropriate for the situation. Going into new social situations is our worst fear.

As an organic brain “disorder”, there are no medications for the syndrome. In fact, the syndrome wasn’t really known in the US until the early 1990’s.

Wow, NBC. I have a degree in psychology, and I don't remember ever hearing or researching this type of disorder. (So natrually, I've spent the last hour doing quick "internet research.") This is really quite fascinating.

To both NBC and Verte, I'd like to say that both of you handle this difficulty extremely well. You both have wonderful personalities that shine through on this message board, and have brought many good ideas, insights, and opinions to our shared reading. Your courage and steadfastness is a tribute.

Back to the topic, I've seen signs and stickers destroyed on both sides of the political system. Friends of mine at my church (both Republican & Democrat) have had to replace their lawn signs numerous times, and even our church itself has had to face the problem. Our head pastor will not allow any candidate to post signs on Church property, yet people are actually putting them up in the middle of the night! He just had to remove two more yesterday morning.

My mother told me another horror story today. A friend of my parents' went to see his son in Pittsburgh. He had a Kerry sticker on the car he left in the airport parking lot. When he came back from Pittsburgh someone had put a Bush sticker over his Kerry sticker. He promptly removed the Bush sticker and went and got another Kerry sticker and put it on his car. Man, people are acting like maniacs about this election. I'll be glad when the whole thing is over, I'll just accept the outcome as the voice of the people. There's no sense in all of this craziness.

verte76 said:
My mother told me another horror story today. A friend of my parents' went to see his son in Pittsburgh. He had a Kerry sticker on the car he left in the airport parking lot. When he came back from Pittsburgh someone had put a Bush sticker over his Kerry sticker. He promptly removed the Bush sticker and went and got another Kerry sticker and put it on his car. Man, people are acting like maniacs about this election. I'll be glad when the whole thing is over, I'll just accept the outcome as the voice of the people. There's no sense in all of this craziness.

Has this happened as frequently in previous elections? I think I remember it in 2000.

PS-thanks for explaing Verte and NBcrusader! I would never have known that y'all were "Aspies."

U2democrat said:

Has this happened as frequently in previous elections? I think I remember it in 2000.

I don't remember this happening in 2000. But then again, Gore didn't even have an office in this state in 2000, and Kerry does have several. Alabama is *not* a swing state, so we don't have commercials.

Unsinkable Kerry Fan in a Sea of Bushies

Steve Lopez

October 22, 2004

Larina Corbell, 16, slapped a Kerry-for-president sticker onto her candy-apple red 1971 Volkswagen Beetle on Monday morning and drove to Valley Christian High School in Cerritos.

This, she knew, would kill any chance of being voted Miss Popularity.

Larina, a junior, says she knows of one other student at Valley Christian who likes Kerry. Earlier this year, when Larina pasted a Kerry photo onto her binder, she heard taunts of "four more years" as she walked the halls.

Still, it took her by surprise when she was motoring home after school Monday and happened to check her rearview mirror.

The Kerry sticker was gone, replaced with one for President Bush. At home in Long Beach, Larina found out what happened to the Kerry sticker that had been peeled off. It was wrapped around her chrome muffler like melted cheese.

All right, Larina said. Enough is enough. So she sat down and fired off a letter to the editor of the school paper.

So why was she so angry over what sounded like a typical high school prank? It is a Christian school, after all, so you wouldn't expect young lefties to roam the halls talking revolution.

"I guess it was the last straw," says Larina, who was less bothered by the melted bumper sticker than by fellow classmates falling into such predictable lock step.

"Some say they want to debate," says Larina, "but I always say that unless they can give me one good reason why they're voting for Bush, I won't debate.

"What I'm hearing from them is their parents' beliefs, recycled through them. They don't say much, except that Bush is a Christian and Kerry's not, or Bush is pro-life, or Kerry gets Botox. It's not substantial."

Besides, she said, "Kerry is Catholic, and I don't think that because he practices a different theism, he's less active in his faith."

I should note that Larina, whose parents are both longshoremen, is a veteran debate club member. This past summer, she was invited to the National Student Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C., where she studied politics and law at American University.

"Since she was 6 or 7, she would talk about having dreams that she lived in the White House," Larina's mom, Marina, told me at their kitchen table before Larina left for school Thursday.

It's true, says Larina, who doesn't remember when or why she developed a passion for politics. But she'd definitely like to run for office one day.

On the principle that it's never too soon to start grilling politicians, I asked Larina to explain why she prefers Kerry to Bush. She and her family describe themselves as devout Christians, and, as her mom puts it, "God is first in our lives."

"One of the things that scares me about Bush," Larina says, "is the idea that he is, quote-unquote, ordained by God to do good things…. He's a human; we're all imperfect."

She has problems with the war in Iraq and Bush foreign policy in general, and although she respects the president's religious beliefs and his right to express them, faith-based politics make her nervous.

Not only will Kerry be stronger on foreign relations, she argued, but she likes his take on abortion rights.

"I personally don't agree with abortion," Larina said. "I think life begins at conception … and I know I would never have or consider an abortion." But she doesn't think a president should "dictate to the country whether it's right or wrong" based on his religious beliefs.

Larina wanted me to make clear that she had no intention of badmouthing her school (she loves it) or fellow students (many of her best friends are Bushies). But she wanted to make a point about free speech and encourage students to resist the polarizing forces that turn people into parrots.

"This is pro-Bush country," Valley Christian Supt. Kevin Kaemingk told me in the principal's office. "I would say 90% of the parents are Bush supporters, and if you go to a football game, you'll see a lot more W than Kerry stickers."

Kaemingk told me that in a meeting with Larina and her mom earlier this week, Larina argued that supporting Kerry didn't make her any less Christian than her classmates. Kaemingk said he hoped Larina's letter to the editor, which runs next week, will be used by teachers to spur debate.

"It is difficult to support Kerry among so many 'compassionate conservatives,' " Larina's letter says. "However, I love the fact that I'm entitled to my own opinion.

"Embracing this right, I have studied the election and politics at great length to form my own opinions. I hope that anyone reading this will respect … themselves enough to form their own opinions. They might be different from your parents' or the status quo, but at least you'll know what you believe."

When Larina drove to school Thursday, she left the Bush-Cheney bumper sticker on the back window of her car, with one alteration. Above it, she added a strip that says, "America can't take four more years of … "

i get taunted with "four more years!" all the time. i resond with "four more years of hell!" :wink:

today at a school wide debate i was booed but the cheers drowned them out :D some bushies told me i had some points that made them think. :D

grrr today as i was in my car waiting to pull out of the school parking lot some guy pulled up next to me and threw a tennis ball at my car. It bounce from my trunk to my rear window. don't you just love immature, stupid high school boys?

Back
Top Bottom