Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Why are people so supersensitive today? Why can people not take a joke anymore? people get mad at the silliest, most insignificant things these days.

Did you hear that the Latin American community was peeved at George Lucas because, on his last movie, he had a villain (Jango Fett) played by a Latino? Or that the African American community was angry that Darth Vader was voiced by an African American? Did you know that in reality it's a social commentary implying that all Latin Americans are criminals and all African Americans abondon their sons? No? Me neither, you politically correct sissies. Or how about the Black woman who was insulted because no hurricanes were named after Africans? How about the law that's passed in certain states stating that if any of us were to call an Asian on "Oriental" we can be sued.

Do people try to find things to whine about? What the heck is the deal with this kind of crap? I'm not just talking about Star Wars here, I'm talking about this attitude in general. It's getting to the point where a person of color can no longer be portrayed as a villian or it has some deeper meaning. Guess what, people of ALL races can be bad, NOT JUST WHITES! *GASP*!!! Is it really true? Nooo it can't be...!!!

A West Side Story was too politically incorrect to be played at my community college so they brought in... that's right, the VAGINA MONOLOGUES!!! In which teenage students faked orgasm! Oh, the irony of our society is simply staggering!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:16 AM
You know, don't you think it's about time the term 'political correctness' was buried?

I mean, you do live in a nation almost entirely under conservative control. Surely that is the political benchmark we're supposed to be 'correct' to. Right? I mean, am I crazy or am I not!

Oh the irony!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Why are people so supersensitive today? Why can people not take a joke anymore? people get mad at the silliest, most insignificant things these days.

Did you hear that the Latin American community was peeved at George Lucas because, on his last movie, he had a villain (Jango Fett) played by a Latino? Or that the African American community was angry that Darth Vader was voiced by an African American? Did you know that in reality it's a social commentary implying that all Latin Americans are criminals and all African Americans abondon their sons? No? Me neither, you politically correct sissies. Or how about the Black woman who was insulted because no hurricanes were named after Africans? How about the law that's passed in certain states stating that if any of us were to call an Asian on "Oriental" we can be sued.

Do people try to find things to whine about? What the heck is the deal with this kind of crap? I'm not just talking about Star Wars here, I'm talking about this attitude in general. It's getting to the point where a person of color can no longer be portrayed as a villian or it has some deeper meaning. Guess what, people of ALL races can be bad, NOT JUST WHITES! *GASP*!!! Is it really true? Nooo it can't be...!!!

A West Side Story was too politically incorrect to be played at my community college so they brought in... that's right, the VAGINA MONOLOGUES!!! In which teenage students faked orgasm! Oh, the irony of our society is simply staggering!
No I didn't hear any of those. But I find it ironic coming from someone who just complained about how a sitcom made conservative and Christians look stupid.

I agree everyone's become oversensitive. That's why I love equal opportunity comedy.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

there are times when political correctness is overdone, and then there are times when its not done enough. for instance when a person gets frustrated with something and says "well that's just gay!" it offends me even though i'm straight.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Acrobat

I love the Dave Chappelle Show because it's politically incorrect
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No I didn't hear any of those. But I find it ironic coming from someone who just complained about how a sitcom made conservative and Christians look stupid.

I agree everyone's become oversensitive. That's why I love equal opportunity comedy.
There's a difference between not liking something and trying to put an end to it.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Re: Re: Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

There's a difference between not liking something and trying to put an end to it.
True now please spread the word to the rest of conservative Christians.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Re: Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:

Hahaha!

What I notice is that many of the people bitching about how oversensitive others are tend to be just as touchy when it comes to their triggers. Just read through a few posts....
Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
I love the Dave Chappelle Show because it's politically incorrect
Me too. He's a funny, funny man. I wish he hosted The Daily Show.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I know there have been times when political correctness has driven me crazy, like when I was a history student and we were having all sorts of crazy disputes over Cleopatra's ethnic background. I think initially (possibly) the people who started this meant well but it went crazy fast, and stopped making sense.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #11
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:

True now please spread the word to the rest of conservative Christians.
Or the Muslim organizations wanting to ban "24".

Or the right wing organizations burning the "Da Vinci Code" (people, it's in the "Fiction" section....)

etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum
Old 01-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
for instance when a person gets frustrated with something and says "well that's just gay!" it offends me even though i'm straight.
My gay friends use this expression all the time. When I ask them about it they say, "Well, it means bad gay, like you know, stereotypical bad-taste gay." I've even heard the guys on Queer Eye say it. As they're rummaging through someone's awful stuff they'll pick up something really ugly and go, "that's so gay." I find that this expression is generally more offensive to gays' well-meaning and protective straight friends than it is to gays, especially gays who have been out for a long time. Still, I tiptoe around the expression myself because it may be a matter of who says it and how they say it.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Political correctness: Oversensitive people are really annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Or the Muslim organizations wanting to ban "24".

Or the right wing organizations burning the "Da Vinci Code" (people, it's in the "Fiction" section....)

etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum
Yup! They're all loons. Everyone should follow all my ideas...the world would be so great then....
Old 01-18-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 AM
first we will burn books

then we will burn people

Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

My gay friends use this expression all the time. When I ask them about it they say, "Well, it means bad gay, like you know, stereotypical bad-taste gay." I've even heard the guys on Queer Eye say it. As they're rummaging through someone's awful stuff they'll pick up something really ugly and go, "that's so gay." I find that this expression is generally more offensive to gays' well-meaning and protective straight friends than it is to gays, especially gays who have been out for a long time.
I think it depends on how it's meant when it is said. For instance I can call myself a "know it all Bitch" or just a Bitch (note the capital B!), and some of my friends can also -- and it's fine, even a term of affection. But said by some people, especially in certain circumstances, it is definately a slur, and I take it that way.

So I think you have to be careful with various comments that can be both affectionate and cutting, depending on the tone and situation.