Political Campaigning Is Hurting America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

I'd miss it. Big time. There are at least ten shows I watch weekly.

But that's another thread.
I DVR (TiVo) my shows, which works out well because I'm often doing something that has me busy past 8 (or 9, whatever). When I'm done tucking in my kids or whatever I start the shows, and just fast-forward past those nasty attack ads. I honestly don't know what I ever did without the DVR, and I'm not really that much of a TV nut...movies mostly.

Down here in FL the gubernatorial race has been pretty nasty...I know the attack ads do work but for me it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth about both candidates.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:27 PM
The problem is that your pre-elections in the US are too long. As soon as the midterm elections are over, you'll essentially get 2 years of campaigning for President. It's ridiculous.

Because we don't have fixed elections in Canada, they can essentially be called anytime. Then you're given 5 weeks to campaign before election day and that's that. It's nowhere near as hysterical.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The problem is that your pre-elections in the US are too long. As soon as the midterm elections are over, you'll essentially get 2 years of campaigning for President. It's ridiculous.

Because we don't have fixed elections in Canada, they can essentially be called anytime. Then you're given 5 weeks to campaign before election day and that's that. It's nowhere near as hysterical.
I have noticed this too. There is a slight period of no election crap but for the most part, from up here it does seem to be one long election wasting millions of dollars on negative and divisive advertising.

Generally, I feel that democracy is a joke now anyway. Yes, there is representation but by whom? Does the average representative represent the average constituent? Hardly. The politicians generally act in their own self-interest. There are some exceptions and it is refreshing to see a rich politician give away their salary to charity as Danny Williams, Premier of Newfoundland is doing. As Tommy Douglas once said, it's time for the mice to stop electing cats and elect mice. Unfortunately, mice can't afford to participate in the highest echelons of public office.

Aren't the Cons trying to legislate fixed elections for Canada? Of course, legislating and passing a bill are two different things considering the only legislation passed by the current House has been the budget. Great to see our humble public servants working so hard on our behalf.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

oops, double post
Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually campaigning for President begins one day after the last Presidential election. They're just not spending the money yet. They're raising it.

I don't even notice the negative campaigns much anymore. There is a race for the one Congressional seat in Vermont (I think) that is getting national coverage because it has been a nice campaign.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #21
War Child

I've watched the DeWine/Brown ads, and, yes, I find all of them annoying. However, one difference I noted is that Brown's ads focus on DeWine's record, whereas DeWine's ads are generally nothing but laughable attack ads that show a man desperate to cling on to reelection. His accusations of unpaid taxes (which were paid--one of DeWine's attack ads even said so [albeit, with a misleading, "scary" voice]) and drugs in the office really just make me chuckle.

I was under the impression that DeWine was a relative moderate in Congress, but after watching all these stupid ads, I have nothing but contempt for the man. Too bad I can't cast a vote against him, because I live just across the border in Michigan.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #22
New Yorker

I agree with all of you (especially Ormus - DeWine is sad, he even has Vionovich begging for him in some new ads in Cleveland). The only real solution is public funding for elections and mandatory limited free tv ads. Everyone gets x amount of dollars depending on the position running for. It would limit all the tv ad buying and constant fund raising. It would also allow people with limited funds to run for office, not only millionaires or billionaires anymore. One of the main things is it would allow more actual work done in the Congress.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Actually I meant to turn off the tv entirely, not just during commercials. In a few weeks you'd be surprised how little you miss it.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
Hell no you're not weird! I own a TV, but only to watch DVDs. I spend all the $ I saved by not getting cable on booze. I haven't watched TV regularly for about 3 years now. I only do on occasion when visiting people, and believe me as soon as I turn it on, I wish I hadn't.

Erm...back to the topic about ads. One of my friends thought that the next thing would be pop-up campaign ads on websites. The day that happens is the day I leave the country for good.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

More evidence for the title of this thread, or for the statement "Political Campaigning is Hurting Democracy in America":

my roommate was just on the phone with her mother, who lives in Tennessee, key battleground state. My roommate was encouraging her mother to vote and her mother said "I really can't see the point in voting. They've only said bad things about eachother, not what they will do for us."
Old 11-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah I was just going to say, when both candidates act like douchebags attacking each other in commercials, it only gives people more incentive NOT to vote.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
More evidence for the title of this thread, or for the statement "Political Campaigning is Hurting Democracy in America":

my roommate was just on the phone with her mother, who lives in Tennessee, key battleground state. My roommate was encouraging her mother to vote and her mother said "I really can't see the point in voting. They've only said bad things about eachother, not what they will do for us."
Tell her mom that she must vote! But to get her and her friends to write my name in instead of choosing the candidates bashing each other.

I stand for love and justice, and cookies!!!

But yeah, it's ironic how they come up with these ads to sway voters into one direction, but it ends up turning them off to the whole democratic process instead.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The less people who vote, the less people they have to manipulate. No wonder lobbyists rule Washington, so many people have become disenfranchised with the system, they are willing to allow a minority of people elect the government. If I was campaign organizer, this is sweet. We only have to pander to a small number of people and convince them we are the lesser of two evils. It's hard to appeal to 100% of the electorate. But much easier to appeal to evangelical Christians or hardcore liberals since they are smaller representations of a large society.

Perhaps they want to encourage ambivalence towards voting? Seems that way sometimes, don't it?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
The less people who vote, the less people they have to manipulate. No wonder lobbyists rule Washington, so many people have become disenfranchised with the system, they are willing to allow a minority of people elect the government. If I was campaign organizer, this is sweet. We only have to pander to a small number of people and convince them we are the lesser of two evils. It's hard to appeal to 100% of the electorate. But much easier to appeal to evangelical Christians or hardcore liberals since they are smaller representations of a large society.

Perhaps they want to encourage ambivalence towards voting? Seems that way sometimes, don't it?
Well that's cynicism if I ever saw it. A scary thought. But these days I can't say for sure that there isn't a grain of truth in it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I admit to being a cynical SOB!!

Until I start seeing otherwise, I vote for the politician who will do the least damage, not the best job. Cause in the end, they all get kicked out on their asses. At least I still vote, voter turnout numbers are shrinking every election. Sad sad sad!!