Political Bias in Summer Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Good luck with that...

I'd really hate to live in some of these people's world where everything they see and touch is so liberal and heathen. It sucks to live in a world where tolerance and love is written about in novels that become classic literature.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
^ Good luck with that...

I'd really hate to live in some of these people's world where everything they see and touch is so liberal and heathen. It sucks to live in a world where tolerance and love is written about in novels that become classic literature.

I dunno, I'd really like to live in that world they inhabit where everything around me is liberal.....

I don't have issues with reading lists having more modern works in them. I do have issues, though, if such lists contain "disposable" literature. There are many books that are considered to be "contemporary classics," and they deal with any variety of subjects. I would like to hope that those kinds of books would be included. Perusing through some of those example lists, though, make me not so optimistic.

Varitek said:

I dunno, I'd really like to live in that world they inhabit where everything around me is liberal.....

Well that statement was dripping with sarcasm.

I agree, it would make a much better world.

If it's going to have biases it should be equally biased from both/all sides. If it does I think that's acceptable. Personally I think it's important to expose yourself to viewpoints that you don't agree with, you can't exist in a vacuum.

As to whether that's literature, I think that books other than the classics can have merit. Isn't that Denzel Washington book about mentoring? I think that's worth reading.

My books were Shut Up and Sing, When Character Was King (a book about Reagan which I haven't touched yet), and Flags of our Fathers.

Shut Up and Sing just continued to get worse. She intentionally blurred the line from a select few to the entire democratic party. She gave the whole "Democrats hate religion and hate America" without batting an eye. Just a completely stupid book all the way around. The only thing that I thought had any legitimacy to it was her section on immigration.

martha said:
I guess "put up or shut up" has never been explained to the boy.
I think the fact that this is an old thread and shart hasn't visited the site in 2 weeks might have more to do with it...

I can't remember much of what we had to read over the summers in high school, apart from Ethan Frome, Macbeth, and Silas Marner. I looked at my old high school's website expecting to see something horrible and terrifying, but it doesn't look like they've changed much in the past ten years (apart from The Devil in the White City, they're all similar to books we had to read).

English I:
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

English II:
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Awakening by Kate Chopin

English III:
The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
1984 by George Orwell

AP English Language:
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson