Police shoot 'dead' a suspect, London... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
I am in California, USA and listen to BBC on my NPR stations.

I heard immediately after it occurred.

I believe it was BBC and not NPR news service.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

If I went out tonight and drank 10 beers, then drove home and knocked someone over, could I claim the 'ultimate responsibility' lies with the bar-owner for selling me the beer? Or maybe we could trace it back to the person who invented alcohol, and say it was his fault?

OK maybe the phrase "ultimate responsibility" isn't correct but you can't say that they are entirely blameless for that man's death. The police have to straddle a razor-thin line between civil liberties and protecting the populace and they're only human - thus some mistakes will be made. They're dealing with quickly changing situations and partial information but in the end we've got to trust someone to make the call.

As for your example, if some bartender sold you enough alcohol to get you that drunk then I would think that the should share some of the blame for your actions whilst drunk. Thus why responsible establishments stop serving people when they've had too much.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Right, I guess the BBC must use different correspondents for the news they broadcast in the US because here the only comment made by the police was to confirm a man had been shot, it took them several hours even to confirm that he had died, much less make any comment on his identity or connection to Thursdays events.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #34
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Right, I guess the BBC must use different correspondents for the news they broadcast in the US because here the only comment made by the police was to confirm a man had been shot, it took them several hours even to confirm that he had died, much less make any comment on his identity or connection to Thursdays events.
I was following it on the web for the whole day and I ready pretty much the same thing.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I listen to BBC radio
and heard the Police say emphatically
that the dead guy was involved.

The public always feels reassured when a suspect is caught or identified.

I wonder who these four guys are?

to be fair

BBC may have only said that the shooting was directly related to the bombing investigations.

My NPR station plays one hour of Canadian public radio 11pm- midnight and BBC from midnight till 3 am.

My nightstand radio is on until I fall asleep.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

to be fair

BBC may have only said that the shooting was directly related to the bombing investigations.

My NPR station plays one hour of Canadian public radio 11pm- midnight and BBC from midnight till 3 am.

My nightstand radio is on until I fall asleep.
Canadia radio? BBC? Why do you hate America?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #37
War Child

When the IRA used to be actively bombing why weren't all the white folk rounded up and treated this way?

It's bullshit.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:56 PM
^I think it's fair to say the police/army probably killed at least one innocent Catholic during the troubles. More than one if you ask some people.

In any case this is tragic. I don't know if you can really blame the police, the guy was running from them onto a subway. It'd be so much better if they could've taken him out in a non-fatal way, I suppose they thought he'd trigger an explosive, I dunno. The guy's response was unwise, but it's horrible that he's dead.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
When the IRA used to be actively bombing why weren't all the white folk rounded up and treated this way?

It's bullshit.
Firstly, nobody has been rounded up, this is one incident -- a horrible, tragic incident, but not indicative of a policy of "rounding up" people of a particular ethnicity.

And secondly, let's not forget that there were horrible miscarriages of justice during the IRA's campaign - the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six, for example.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
^I think it's fair to say the police/army probably killed at least one innocent Catholic during the troubles. More than one if you ask some people.
The history of Northern Ireland is full of incidents of the British army and the RUC killing innocent people. The Stalker Inquiry in 1983 led to four RUC officers being charged with murder after numerous unarmed civilians were shot at checkpoints and there are many other instances of collusion between the RUC and loyalist paramilitaries, notably in the murder of Pat Finucane.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #41
shy
War Child

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Unfortunatly the man was Brasilian, living and working legally in London. The London cabs were following the guy since he went out home until the subway, when the shots happen.
Our Minister is going to London.
The Scotland Yard admited the wrong procedure.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Yes, I read that he was Brasilian. A terrible error, for which the officers will be held accountable.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #43
shy
War Child

Local Time: 01:56 AM
"This tragedy has added another victim to the toll of deaths for which the terrorists bear responsibility."

I'm so sorry for Londons inoccent people!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:56 PM
But didn't this guy actually run from the police? Why would've he ran if he had nothing to hide?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
From the Associated Press:

Quote:
LONDON (AP) - London police identified a man mistakenly shot dead in a subway station Saturday as a 27-year-old Brazilian citizen. Authorities said Jean Charles de Menezes was killed Friday at Stockwell station as police investigated the series of botched transit bombings a day earlier and the attacks of July 7 that killed 56, including the four bombers. A London police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man was not connected to either set of attacks.

A day earlier, the police commissioner said the man was "directly linked" to Thursday's attacks, in which bombs on three subway trains and a bus failed to detonate properly. No one was injured.