Police shoot 'dead' a suspect, London... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:35 PM
This just in from BBC--the man shot was not connected to the bombings.

Ask me again why I objected to this over the protests of those who were satisfied that the cops must have known what they were doing??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4711021.stm

Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Major cock up.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Shocking yet predictable turn of events especially with shoot first ask questions later policy. Terrorism is not the biggest threat to society, statistically they are a nuisance, dramatic and effective, but still hardly an everyday threat to the average human being unlike automobile accidents, household or workplace deaths, etc. Sorry but I think the more governments attempt to "make people feel safer" gives more power and voice to the terrorists, we are empowering their agenda since after every attack we seem determined to implement more security policies which erode civil rights and freedoms, which some argue is what terrorists want, well, we are giving it to them on a silver platter.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Shocking yet predictable turn of events especially with shoot first ask questions later policy. Terrorism is not the biggest threat to society, statistically they are a nuisance, dramatic and effective, but still hardly an everyday threat to the average human being unlike automobile accidents, household or workplace deaths, etc. Sorry but I think the more governments attempt to "make people feel safer" gives more power and voice to the terrorists, we are empowering their agenda since after every attack we seem determined to implement more security policies which erode civil rights and freedoms, which some argue is what terrorists want, well, we are giving it to them on a silver platter.
While you are 110% correct in your view that governments exploit the issue to steal more power for themselves, and you are also totally correct in implying that in almost all countries, auto accidents kill far more than terrorism, I would say the London police have been under a lot of pressure, without trying to excuse their action.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 PM
This is one of those days I'm glad I'm white.

It's crazy how everyone else is "suspect" merely by the color of their skin.

Melon
Old 07-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
It's crazy how everyone else is "suspect" merely by the color of their skin.
I don't disagree that people of a particular appearance are more likely to be viewed as suspicious by the police, but it's hardly the only reason they had for being suspicious of this man. He'd left a building the police had under surveillance in connection with the previous bombings, he repeatedly ignored police requests to stop, he ran from the police for quite a distance before entering a tube station, again he ignored the police telling him they were armed and requesting he stop, then he ran onto a tube train which was about to leave.

I'm not in any way excusing the actions of the police, nor am I suggesting that someone's appearance isn't a factor when the police decide someone looks suspicious, but in this case he wasn't a suspect merely because of the colour of his skin - his actions were suspicious as well.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM

Was the victim one of these four men?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

^No.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I realise that it must be a very stressful job, where you are forced to make split-second decisions under immense pressure but still, SO19 do seem to be shooting an awful lot of people who are later proved to be unarmed. And I'm talking months before these terrorist attacks and after the 2002 Real IRA bombings (so it's not like tension was especially high). One guy was shot holding a wrapped-up chair leg that officers thought was a shotgun.

I'm not saying that the people mistakenly shot are entirely blameless (if armed police tell you put the weapon down, YOU PUT IT DOWN!) but just these are professional firearm officers who do this day in day out, I kinda expect more of them but perhaps I'm expecting too much, they are human after all.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I listen to BBC radio
and heard the Police say emphatically
that the dead guy was involved.

The public always feels reassured when a suspect is caught or identified.

I wonder who these four guys are?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #26
War Child

This is tragic but if they did warn the guy, why the hell did he keep running? I don't envy the police at times like these as they would catch major hell if they had a chance to stop a suicide bomber but held off cause they weren't 100% sure.

I imagine the police are pissed off cause they were caught off guard by the recent bombings and are probably over-compensating to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Yeah, the police did fuck up in this instance but the ultimate responsibility for this lies with the terrorists as this guy would never have been shot if 7/7 hadn't happened.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by karls77
This is tragic but if they did warn the guy, why the hell did he keep running? I don't envy the police at times like these as they would catch major hell if they had a chance to stop a suicide bomber but held off cause they weren't 100% sure.

I imagine the police are pissed off cause they were caught off guard by the recent bombings and are probably over-compensating to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Yeah, the police did fuck up in this instance but the ultimate responsibility for this lies with the terrorists as this guy would never have been shot if 7/7 hadn't happened.
If I went out tonight and drank 10 beers, then drove home and knocked someone over, could I claim the 'ultimate responsibility' lies with the bar-owner for selling me the beer? Or maybe we could trace it back to the person who invented alcohol, and say it was his fault?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

If I went out tonight and drank 10 beers, then drove home and knocked someone over,

if you look muslim or even east asian

i will shoot you

you fucking terrorist!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
if you look muslim or even east asian

i will shoot you

you fucking terrorist!
If you did that you would have f**cked up but it wouldn't be your fault, it would be the fault of the terrorists.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I listen to BBC radio
and heard the Police say emphatically
that the dead guy was involved.
Really? I check the BBC news website regularly and listen to BBC Radio 4 news and I didn't hear any such comment. When did you hear that? (I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you because I do, I'm just curious about who said that and when.)