Police shoot 'dead' a suspect, London... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
New Yorker
 
Sherry Darling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,857
Local Time: 09:35 PM
This just in from BBC--the man shot was not connected to the bombings.

Ask me again why I objected to this over the protests of those who were satisfied that the cops must have known what they were doing??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4711021.stm
__________________

__________________
Sherry Darling is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Major cock up.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Shocking yet predictable turn of events especially with shoot first ask questions later policy. Terrorism is not the biggest threat to society, statistically they are a nuisance, dramatic and effective, but still hardly an everyday threat to the average human being unlike automobile accidents, household or workplace deaths, etc. Sorry but I think the more governments attempt to "make people feel safer" gives more power and voice to the terrorists, we are empowering their agenda since after every attack we seem determined to implement more security policies which erode civil rights and freedoms, which some argue is what terrorists want, well, we are giving it to them on a silver platter.
__________________
trevster2k is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Shocking yet predictable turn of events especially with shoot first ask questions later policy. Terrorism is not the biggest threat to society, statistically they are a nuisance, dramatic and effective, but still hardly an everyday threat to the average human being unlike automobile accidents, household or workplace deaths, etc. Sorry but I think the more governments attempt to "make people feel safer" gives more power and voice to the terrorists, we are empowering their agenda since after every attack we seem determined to implement more security policies which erode civil rights and freedoms, which some argue is what terrorists want, well, we are giving it to them on a silver platter.
While you are 110% correct in your view that governments exploit the issue to steal more power for themselves, and you are also totally correct in implying that in almost all countries, auto accidents kill far more than terrorism, I would say the London police have been under a lot of pressure, without trying to excuse their action.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:35 PM
This is one of those days I'm glad I'm white.

It's crazy how everyone else is "suspect" merely by the color of their skin.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
It's crazy how everyone else is "suspect" merely by the color of their skin.
I don't disagree that people of a particular appearance are more likely to be viewed as suspicious by the police, but it's hardly the only reason they had for being suspicious of this man. He'd left a building the police had under surveillance in connection with the previous bombings, he repeatedly ignored police requests to stop, he ran from the police for quite a distance before entering a tube station, again he ignored the police telling him they were armed and requesting he stop, then he ran onto a tube train which was about to leave.

I'm not in any way excusing the actions of the police, nor am I suggesting that someone's appearance isn't a factor when the police decide someone looks suspicious, but in this case he wasn't a suspect merely because of the colour of his skin - his actions were suspicious as well.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:35 PM




Was the victim one of these four men?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 01:35 AM
^No.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
TheQuiet1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N.Yorkshire UK
Posts: 3,816
Local Time: 02:35 AM
I realise that it must be a very stressful job, where you are forced to make split-second decisions under immense pressure but still, SO19 do seem to be shooting an awful lot of people who are later proved to be unarmed. And I'm talking months before these terrorist attacks and after the 2002 Real IRA bombings (so it's not like tension was especially high). One guy was shot holding a wrapped-up chair leg that officers thought was a shotgun.

I'm not saying that the people mistakenly shot are entirely blameless (if armed police tell you put the weapon down, YOU PUT IT DOWN!) but just these are professional firearm officers who do this day in day out, I kinda expect more of them but perhaps I'm expecting too much, they are human after all.
__________________
TheQuiet1 is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:35 PM
I listen to BBC radio
and heard the Police say emphatically
that the dead guy was involved.


The public always feels reassured when a suspect is caught or identified.


I wonder who these four guys are?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #26
War Child
 
karls77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southeast UK (formerly Tucson, AZ)
Posts: 689
Local Time: 01:35 AM
This is tragic but if they did warn the guy, why the hell did he keep running? I don't envy the police at times like these as they would catch major hell if they had a chance to stop a suicide bomber but held off cause they weren't 100% sure.

I imagine the police are pissed off cause they were caught off guard by the recent bombings and are probably over-compensating to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Yeah, the police did fuck up in this instance but the ultimate responsibility for this lies with the terrorists as this guy would never have been shot if 7/7 hadn't happened.
__________________
karls77 is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by karls77
This is tragic but if they did warn the guy, why the hell did he keep running? I don't envy the police at times like these as they would catch major hell if they had a chance to stop a suicide bomber but held off cause they weren't 100% sure.

I imagine the police are pissed off cause they were caught off guard by the recent bombings and are probably over-compensating to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Yeah, the police did fuck up in this instance but the ultimate responsibility for this lies with the terrorists as this guy would never have been shot if 7/7 hadn't happened.
If I went out tonight and drank 10 beers, then drove home and knocked someone over, could I claim the 'ultimate responsibility' lies with the bar-owner for selling me the beer? Or maybe we could trace it back to the person who invented alcohol, and say it was his fault?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy


If I went out tonight and drank 10 beers, then drove home and knocked someone over,

if you look muslim or even east asian

i will shoot you

you fucking terrorist!
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
if you look muslim or even east asian

i will shoot you

you fucking terrorist!
If you did that you would have f**cked up but it wouldn't be your fault, it would be the fault of the terrorists.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I listen to BBC radio
and heard the Police say emphatically
that the dead guy was involved.
Really? I check the BBC news website regularly and listen to BBC Radio 4 news and I didn't hear any such comment. When did you hear that? (I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you because I do, I'm just curious about who said that and when.)
__________________

__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com