Police: DNA proves man fathered grandchildren

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green Eyes

War Child
Road Trippin' Across The Universe to Zoo Station
Police: DNA proves man fathered grandchildren
Austrian has confessed to holding daughter captive in cellar for 24 years

Helmut Fohringer / EPA
Austrian police are surrounded by reporters Monday as they arrive at the house in Amstetten where the alleged abuse occurred.

Austrian house of horrors
April 28: An Austrian man says he imprisoned his daughter for almost 25 years and fathered seven children with her. Dan Abrams discusses the case with former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt

AMSTETTEN, Austria - DNA tests have shown that Austrian Josef Fritzl, who had kept his daughter prisoner for 24 years and abused her sexually, was the father of her six surviving children, police said on Tuesday.

Police also said that 73-year-old Josef Fritzl did not build secret hiding places at his other properties.

Fritzl told investigators that one of the seven children died in infancy and he tossed the body in the furnace of his apartment building in the town of Amstetten, west of Vienna, authorities said.

Prosecutors said earlier Tuesday they are looking into the possibility of charging Fritzl with "murder through failure to act" in connection with that child's death.

Fritzl would face up to 20 years in prison if tried and convicted on such a charge.

Investigators were searching the 645 square feet cellar beneath the electrical engineer's two-story home, Franz Prucher, head of security in Lower Austria said.

"Down there it is just chaos at the moment. We have to go over every detail very carefully," Prucher told Reuters by telephone.

Fritzl is expected to be put in investigative custody for 14 days. After this period, a further hearing will decide whether he can continue being detained.

Lured into cellar
Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, says her father lured her into the cellar of their home in 1984 and drugged and handcuffed her before imprisoning her.

Three of her children, aged 19, 18 and 5, had been locked in the cellar with her since birth and had never seen sunlight. The younger two were boys, the eldest a girl.

Three other children — two girls and one boy — were adopted and brought up by Fritzl and his wife Rosemarie.

Police said Fritzl had admitted to burning the body of a seventh child in a furnace used to heat the building when the baby died soon after birth.

Hospital officials also told The Associated Press Tuesday that members of the Fritzl family met each other on Sunday and that the scene was "astonishing."

'Self-satisfied society'
Authorities have been asking how events in the house, situated in a busy street with shops in the small industrial town of Amstetten, 80 miles west of Vienna, passed unnoticed for so long.

Commentator Petra Stuiber wrote in Austria's Der Standard newspaper that what she termed a rich, self-satisfied society needed to examine why it was allowed to occur.

Ghastly confession
April 28: A man in Austria reportedly confesses to holding his daughter captive for 24 years, and fathering her children. NBC's Dawna Friesen reports.
MSNBC.com

"How is it possible that nobody heard or saw anything? How can it be that nobody asked questions?" said Stuiber.

The case has shocked Austria, less than two years after an Austrian teenager, Natascha Kampusch, escaped from the basement where she had been locked up by an abductor for eight years.

Fritzl kept his daughter and three of the children in a complex which was in some places no more than 5 feet 6 inches high and contained a padded cell, according to authorities.

Photographs of the cellar show a narrow passageway leading into other rooms that included a cooking area, with children's drawings on the walls, a sleeping area and a small bathroom with a shower.

Fritzl had hidden the entrance to the cell behind shelves and only he knew the code for the concrete door.

Emergency hospital visit
The case unfolded when the 19-year-old girl became seriously ill and was taken to hospital with severe cramp caused by lack of oxygen. Doctors appealed for her mother to come forward to give details of her medical history.

Fritzl brought Elisabeth and her remaining two children out of the cellar, telling his wife their "missing" daughter had chosen to return home, police said.

Elisabeth agreed to make a thorough statement to the police after receiving assurances she would have no further contact with her father, who she said abused her from the age of 11.

Police believe Josef's wife did not know what happened to her daughter when she disappeared in 1984.

Fritzl had said Elisabeth had joined a sect and that she had left three of the children on the doorstep. He forced Elisabeth to write letters by hand to prove his claims, said the police.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24363811/

:ohmy: :( Just really terrible.

I saw this a few days ago.. I still can't quite wrap my head around it :| I don't even know where to begin..

It is really inconcievable how anyone could be so utterly utterly evil and manipulative and how these poor kids could go unnoticed for so long.

I read somewhere that he used to have his cellar checked routinely by gas or electricity workers and they were none the wiser despite being right next to the secret rooms. Can't imagine the psychological horrors the children must have gone through - euch.

It's just sad :sad:
Hope the :censored: gets what he deserves

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Disgusting. This entire story makes me either want to cry, or vomit.

Exactly how I feel. I can't stop thinking about this story. I really hope this evil psychopath gets the punishment he deserves. Such as locking him in that dungeon for the rest of his life, and throwing away the key.

JCOSTER said:
Totally unbelievable, such evil people in this world. Animals take better care of their children than some humans do.:(

Yes..
I can't believe it, it's too much
I don't know what it deserves a person like that.

Stories like this make me sick to my stomach and I'm constantly amazed by the new levels of evil that mankind is capable of.

This monster should be skinned alive, boiled in oil, hung by his balls and left to die in the same prison where he kept his daughter and her children captive. There is no punishment on earth that is too harsh for him.

Stories like this make me feel that movies such as "Hostel" and "Saw" are not so far-fetched and that somewhere in this world there are people who actually get off on torturing people and having them under their control.

The only thing that surprises me about this story is that people are shocked by it, humanity is at an all time low and at the tender age of 18 nothing shocks me any more. This case indeed seems something out of a horror movie, movies will be created and fiction wont be necessary im afraid.
The family in the dungeon communicated with grunts and grumbles and its widely rumored that one of the kids cant walk straight and moves around like some sort of primate but im not sure if thats true.

When i first seen this guys face i immediately though it was Vincent price, none of the movies he starred in could come even close to the horrors that took place in Fritzl's basement.

OK, I'm Austrian and I tell you there is nothing other than this story in the news. There are shocking details every day and a lot of rumours. Foreign media is already calling us the "land of cellars", because just two years after the Kampusch case, there is yet another case of a man holding people captive in a secret cellar. It's so hard to imagine that someone can do this to anyone, let alone his own daughter, and also to his grandchildren, and it's also hard to imagine that the other people living in this house, most of all the wife/mother/grandmother, had NO CLUE during all this time. Our political parties are already starting to exploit this story for their own means and the media is going crazy.

What I find really perverted is that they are comparing this latest case to the Kampusch case and most of them are saying that the Kampusch case is not interesting anymore because Natasche Kampusch was hold prison for ONLY eight years, while in this latest case the victim has been held for 24 years. Natasche was able to escape, God knows what would have happened if she didn't and how long this would have been going on. I dont understand how one evil deed can be played out against another one.

No, he's not a monster. He's a human being. People like to throw around the word "monster" to make it easier to swallow that a human being did these things.

AchtungBono said:
Stories like this make me sick to my stomach and I'm constantly amazed by the new levels of evil that mankind is capable of.
This monster should be skinned alive, boiled in oil, hung by his balls and left to die in the same prison where he kept his daughter and her children captive. There is no punishment on earth that is too harsh for him.

Right.

Maybe I'm thinking this way because the initial shock of this story is over, but I think he should be the subject of psychological studies and tests. Meaning, to understand how and why someone could do something like this, exactly how are their brains wired to be like this, how can they lack empathy and so on.

I know it probably sounds absurdly kind, but I think if it were possible to stop this from happening again, or probably cure psychopaths, I think psychiatrists should get started on finding ways to do so, and start with him.

And once every test and study is done, lock him away and throw away the key. In the very cell he put his poor daughter in :yes:

corianderstem said:
No, he's not a monster. He's a human being. People like to throw around the word "monster" to make it easier to swallow that a human being did these things.

Exactly. Because the thought that anyone, just any average joe, could do this is terrifying but sadly true.
What happened to that man to make him want to do that to someone? Nevermind the fact it was his daughter.

vaz02 said:
The only thing that surprises me about this story is that people are shocked by it, humanity is at an all time low and at the tender age of 18 nothing shocks me any more.

When you're 18, it's not that uncommon to think that.

When you start approaching 30 or so, perhaps, you might realize that, while events like these are truly terrible, a cursory glance at history would reveal that, as a whole, our world is not all that bad. We've seen far, far worse than this in our history. We've progressed substantially since the Middle Ages or even the 19th century, where horrible civil rights abuses were the norm, rather than the exception.

Back
Top Bottom