'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the latest on CNN:

Plane plot involved 'explosive cocktail,' official says
Air travel in chaos after plot to bomb airliners exposed

Thursday, August 10, 2006; Posted: 4:24 p.m. EDT (20:24 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terrorists planned to concoct an "explosive cocktail" using MP3 players and sports drinks to blow up as many as 10 jetliners bound for the United States, authorities said Thursday.

U.S. intelligence officials said the plotters hoped to stage a dry run by Friday, The Associated Press reported. The actual attack would have followed days later, the officials told AP.

A senior congressional source said it is believed the plotters planned to mix a British sports drink with a gel-like substance to make an explosive that they would possibly trigger with an MP3 player or cell phone.

The sports drink could be combined with a peroxide-based paste to form a potent "explosive cocktail," if properly done, said a U.S. counterterrorism official.

"There are strong reasons to believe the materials in a beverage like that could have been part of the formula," the official said.

British and Pakistani authorities joined forces to block the plot to bomb the airliners, officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/10/us.security/index.html

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No it means your true knowledge of the Muslim religion is flawed.
My first instinct on 9/11 was NOT to buy a Koran. I'm more concerned with finding the lowlifes that were behind it than understanding the "true knowledge" to justify their evildoings.

If it was 10 planes with an average of 300 per plane, then yes it could have been on the scale of 911.

Macfistowannabe said:
My first instinct on 9/11 was NOT to buy a Koran. I'm more concerned with finding the lowlifes that were behind it than understanding the "true knowledge" to justify their evildoings.

:huh: Ok, but don't speak for the true law of Muslims if you don't truly know it.

if these people succeeded and detonated bombs on 10 planes w/ approx. 200 people on board each plane, you'd have 2,000 dead bodies in the atlantic ocean. How is that not comparable to a 9/11 event?

financeguy said:
If it was 10 planes with an average of 300 per plane, then yes it could have been on the scale of 911.
While the loss of life in its calculation may be important, it's even more important to realize the horror, the destruction, and the impact it would have had, had this attack had not been foiled. Numbers aside, there are many similarities, including the religious misguidings behind them.

this could have been really, really awful. it wasn't supposed to happen today, either. they said a test run was in the work in about a week or so. my guess is the actual event was probably scheduled for the 5 year anniversary.

again, good work Scotland Yard.

Numb1075 said:
if these people succeeded and detonated bombs on 10 planes w/ approx. 200 people on board each plane, you'd have 2,000 dead bodies in the atlantic ocean. How is that not comparable to a 9/11 event?

Yes the amount of lives would be close to the same.

The information of 10 planes, hadn't been released when I made the comment.

:|

bottom line: the plan was foiled and we need to be just as creative as these killers and counteract what they WILL do and not what they HAVE done.

MrsSpringsteen said:

It doesn't. Cargo on planes is not all screened- my local news said packages under 16 oz (they said either 16 or 32, not sure) are allowed in the cargo holds without being screened. Commercial cargo is transported sometimes on passenger planes, according to what I have heard and read. I'm talking about cargo, not passenger baggage. Ed Markey has been talking about this for ages and trying to get bills passed, with no success.

TSA/FAA requires 10% of all freight/cargo that is intended for passenger aircraft to be screened. So, if you have ten boxes being shipped, one will be randomly screened. If you are shipping ONE box...it will be screened. Screening is often done manually.

Only specific companies approved (after an extensive approval program from the TSA/FAA) can ship on a passenger aircraft.

In fact, I just read an article Monday about three companies that lost their certification (meaning, they can no longer ship on airlines). They failed FAA inspections (did not follow the proper procedures).

The only cargo not requiring any screening: human tissue or blood.

^^Very true. Many agencies appeared to work very well together to prevent this sick plot from occuring.

My comfort level with flying would be much higher in the future if carry-ons were permanently limited to a very small clear bag, like what was in use today. Even that's not fool-proof, but it looks like it would be easier to thoroughly screen people's possessions.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Did you read the article? The plot was to blow the plane with explosives, how the hell would this be a deterent?

It would just cause more problems having arms on a plane.

If you have ever had the opportunity to encounter a Federal Air Marshall, you would understand how "armed security" on an aircraft could potentially be a deterent and NOT cause additional problems.

Richard Reid (the shoe-bomber) had to light his shoe and created a bit of a stir on the aircraft (and hence, he was caught). I am not sure what was involved in the plot (how they would connect the items to create the IED), but I imagine that at least one of the 21 would have to fumble and and make a scene.

No security system is perfect.

Macfistowannabe said:
The doctorine of Islamic Jihad hurts Islam as a whole, just like the Nazi Party hurt Germany and non-violent Germans as a whole.

I have no doubt in my mind that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is serious about his anti-Semitic agenda. He hates America, Israel, and Jews in particular more than any other "infidel." How are his Hitlerisms inconsistent with the doctorine of Islamic Jihad?

Islamic extremism surely hurts the good name of Islam but what’s hurting Islam even more is the constant linking between terrorism and Muslims in general. The constant demand many Muslims feel to distance themselves and justify themselves. We can’t directly control terrorism but we certainly can control how we react – and that includes not taking the easy way out by mentally throwing together Al-Qaeda, Islamic Jihad, Ahmad-the-Barber-down-on-the-corner, Ahmadinejad, Iranian nukes, the imam from the local Mosque, the Israel-Lebannon conflict, the bits and pieces we know about the Holy Q’uran, and the justifiable fear we all feel.

Peroxide-based paste mixed with a sports drink? If that paste is what I think it is then that would indeed be potent enough to blow one hell of a hole in a plane. I've seen something like that make a decent sized hole in a lawn once - and that was without the benefit of an enclosed space.

ETA: As for limiting carry ons, I hate checking my PC through and it's not as if I have a choice whether to bring it or not. I'd hate if they did that without convincing the bagage throwers to be a bit more gentle (do you think they know the word 'gentle' at all).

Last edited:
abcnews.com

The suspected terror plotters arrested in Britain had planned to conceal their liquid or gel explosives inside a modified sports beverage drink container and trigger the device with the flash from a disposable camera.

ABC News has learned exclusively that the plotters planned to leave the top of the bottle sealed and filled with the original beverage but add a false bottom, filled with a liquid or gel explosive. The terrorists planned to dye the explosive mixture red to match the sports drink sealed in the top half of the container.

This, they thought, would ensure that they would be able to pass through security -- even if they were asked to unseal and drink the beverage.

The flash in a disposable camera has enough electrical power, they apparently believed, to set off the homemade explosive.

There are any number of homemade or modified commercial liquids that would have made effective explosives, with enough energy to damage or destroy a plane.

zoney! said:

If you have ever had the opportunity to encounter a Federal Air Marshall, you would understand how "armed security" on an aircraft could potentially be a deterent and NOT cause additional problems.

Richard Reid (the shoe-bomber) had to light his shoe and created a bit of a stir on the aircraft (and hence, he was caught). I am not sure what was involved in the plot (how they would connect the items to create the IED), but I imagine that at least one of the 21 would have to fumble and and make a scene.

No security system is perfect.

But I guess my point is, if they had already snuck the bomb on the plane and seated, what's going to deter them from pushing the buttom on the cell phone, camera, or whatever the reported device was going to be?

As far as making it worse. What's to stop someone with 1/2 of Jack Bauer's ability to take away these arms and turn them on to the passengers?

MrsSpringsteen said:

The flash in a disposable camera has enough electrical power, they apparently believed, to set off the homemade explosive.

There are any number of homemade or modified commercial liquids that would have made effective explosives, with enough energy to damage or destroy a plane.

"Improvised Explosive Device"

There are a number of plastic explosives they could have used.

zoney! said:

"Improvised Explosive Device"

There are a number of plastic explosives they could have used.

Yes, but most that I know of would not detonate from a high-voltage spark.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I guess my point is, if they had already snuck the bomb on the plane and seated, what's going to deter them from pushing the buttom on the cell phone, camera, or whatever the reported device was going to be?

As far as making it worse. What's to stop someone with 1/2 of Jack Bauer's ability to take away these arms and turn them on to the passengers?

In order to make your explosive "explosive" - you need to connect the explosive material to a detonator. Fiddling like that could draw some attention.

I am not sure who Jack Bauer is - or anything about his "ability" - but if a Federal Air Marshall is doing something to take over a situation...every passenger on the plane would know. I think with the Marshall...and a plane full of post 9/11 passengers could over power two, four, or five "terrorists."

Like I said, no program is perfect...and I would think they would find success...but ten planes is not realistic.

zoney! said:

In order to make your explosive "explosive" - you need to connect the explosive material to a detonator. Fiddling like that could draw some attention.

Possibly. But from what I've heard, it's pretty simple and quick.

zoney! said:

I am not sure who Jack Bauer is - or anything about his "ability" - but if a Federal Air Marshall is doing something to take over a situation...every passenger on the plane would know. I think with the Marshall...and a plane full of post 9/11 passengers could over power two, four, or five "terrorists."

Like I said, no program is perfect...and I would think they would find success...but ten planes is not realistic.

You need to watch more 24 my man. Jack Bauer took out an undercover Air Marshall took his badge and arm in one blow and it was 20 minutes before anyone knew it. He's a bad ass.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You need to watch more 24 my man. Jack Bauer took out an undercover Air Marshall took his badge and arm in one blow and it was 20 minutes before anyone knew it. He's a bad ass.

:lol::up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Did you read the article? The bombs were to be detonated mid-flight. And did they say how many?

Yes it would have been tragic, but no 9/11.

I saw on the news today that there could have been approximately 3,000 people killed if the terrorists had succeeded..

Sleep Over Jack said:

I saw on the news today that there could have been approximately 3,000 people killed if the terrorists had succeeded..

Yes, yes this has been pointed out but didn't show up until the later in the afternoon. Everything I read this morning made it sound like 2 or 3 planes, not 10.

here's how to stop terrorists from blowing up and hijacking planes:

1.) you arent allowed to carry ANYTHING on the plane

2.) all luggage is checked

3.) when you get on and after they close the door, but before the plane takes off, they pump the gas that puts you to sleep like when you go into surgery. So everyone except the pilots sleep through the whole fight. Then when the plane is ready to land, the gas flow stops and people wake up on the ground.

i guess it would also help people that are afraid to fly.

Kinda crazy, but i think it'd work. :lol:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:
3.) when you get on and after they close the door, but before the plane takes off, they pump the gas that puts you to sleep like when you go into surgery. So everyone except the pilots sleep through the whole fight. Then when the plane is ready to land, the gas flow stops and people wake up on the ground.

Laughing gas on all planes. THIS is an idea I'd vote for.

Earnie Shavers said:

Laughing gas on all planes. THIS is an idea I'd vote for.

I say we pump pot. Everyone would too mellow to want to do anything violent, everyone would start to get along, and the restaurant industry would thrive.

melon said:

You certainly find it easy to hate and dehumanize a group of people you've never met too. It doesn't take a lot of effort.

If you don't like what I'm saying, then tell me. What is the root cause of Islamic terrorism?

Melon
Literalism, seperatism and imperial aspiration.

JMScoopy said:
here's how to stop terrorists from blowing up and hijacking planes:

1.) you arent allowed to carry ANYTHING on the plane

2.) all luggage is checked

i guess it would also help people that are afraid to fly.

Kinda crazy, but i think it'd work. :lol:

:yes: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom