'Plot to blow up planes' foiled - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think screening all cargo would be more effective than armed poilce and military.
Except that supposedly happens already. Well, that's assuming that the security guards are doing their job.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 PM
I don't think they currently screen all bags.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by silja

The allure of Al-Qaeda has little to do with religion but is principally easy explanations and easily understood enemies using religion as veneer. It is a hate-based ideology and to label it ‘religion’ impedes understanding.

this i disagree with.

what religion gives someone is a reason to die, a way of detaching yourself from all others so you feel no empathy, no connection to the humanity of others.

of course, religion isn't the only possible thing that can spark thoughts of suicide-as-virtue, but it is certainly what is motivating Islamist terrorism. i can think of no more powerful a motivator than God. after all, you want to get to Paradise, don't you?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Except that supposedly happens already. Well, that's assuming that the security guards are doing their job.
It doesn't. Cargo on planes is not all screened- my local news said packages under 16 oz (they said either 16 or 32, not sure) are allowed in the cargo holds without being screened. Commercial cargo is transported sometimes on passenger planes, according to what I have heard and read. I'm talking about cargo, not passenger baggage. Ed Markey has been talking about this for ages and trying to get bills passed, with no success.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161870,00.html

(2005)WASHINGTON — While the nation has turned its attention to securing the American railways and transit systems in the wake of the London terror attacks on Thursday, persistent vulnerabilities threaten other U.S. transportation systems, say lawmakers.

Though it's been nearly four years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks — an assault that used airplanes as missiles and prompted unprecedented screening for airport passengers — comparable screening of cargo that flies on commercial airlines remains elusive.

"It is unacceptable that freight stored in the cargo bay beneath passengers' feet is almost never inspected for bombs that could bring down the plane," Rep. Ed Markey (search), D-Mass., a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said last month.

On Thursday, Markey said the London attacks should embolden U.S. lawmakers to get serious about plugging the holes in security — in all transportation areas.

"We must honor the memory of those who have been killed by our vigilance to protect democracy and prevent future attacks," he said in a statement.

Markey noted that Americans take public transportation 32 million times a day — 16 times more than they travel on domestic airlines. Nonetheless, since Sept. 11, 2001, Markey has been vigilant in pursuing efforts to close the "security loophole" that prevents cargo on passenger planes from being uniformly screened for explosives.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #50
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this i disagree with.

what religion gives someone is a reason to die, a way of detaching yourself from all others so you feel no empathy, no connection to the humanity of others.

of course, religion isn't the only possible thing that can spark thoughts of suicide-as-virtue, but it is certainly what is motivating Islamist terrorism. i can think of no more powerful a motivator than God. after all, you want to get to Paradise, don't you?
No thank you. I leave Paradise to Christians and Muslims

I’m not so dumb as to suggest that religion is not a factor but if you look at the Al-Qaeda videos they are filled with blood and gore. They show you terrible injustices and clear enemies to lash out against… and then they tell you that if you are obedient to Allah and do His work you’ll be rewarded. A person who is predisposed to follow an us-against-them ideology and is receptive to such a religious command could fall for it – and yes for that person the selling point is religious faithfulness. But I think that the underlying causes are far more complex. Which is why I called it religious veneer. What I’m interested in is understanding what causes such a predisposition.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No thank you. I leave Paradise to Christians and Muslims

I’m not so dumb as to suggest that religion is not a factor but if you look at the Al-Qaeda videos they are filled with blood and gore. They show you terrible injustices and clear enemies to lash out against… and then they tell you that if you are obedient to Allah and do His work you’ll be rewarded. A person who is predisposed to follow an us-against-them ideology and is receptive to such a religious command could fall for it – and yes for that person the selling point is religious faithfulness. But I think that the underlying causes are far more complex. Which is why I called it religious veneer. What I’m interested in is understanding what causes such a predisposition.

i agree that it's a complex thing, you're absolutely right, but i also think that the suicidal impulse, in this situation, is very nearly impossible without religion. it's sort of the spark that lights the powderkeg.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

This is scary. I'm glad they got the terrorists before they killed a whole slew of people.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Why Liquid Explosives May be al-Qaeda's Secret Weapon

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...0.html?cnn=yes

"AP reports that a number of analysts are warning that the new types of threat may dictate a radical change in the security regime governing air travel, in which passengers may be required to subject themselves to substantially longer delays for pre-flight scrutiny. The potential to hide explosive components in everything from toothpaste and contact-lens solution to laptop computers and other personal electronic devices may also demand rules that make air travel even less comfortable than it currently is.

A passenger at Washington's National Airport Thursday morning described passengers crowding around the trashcans dumping anything that could be considered liquid, even toothpaste. But he passed unchecked through security with toothpaste and lotion in his hand luggage, showing the difficulties of enforcing tighter measures in a country with 700 million passengers a year.

The answer, say security experts, highlights the need for a security system based on sophisticated profiling: It may be more important for the security system to be geared towards detecting passengers with intent to do harm rather than relying on detecting the specific means they've chosen. Boston's Logan Airport is currently testing a version of profiling called the SPOT program, but it avoids the ethnic profiling that many security experts say, despite its objectionable political connotations, would have to be the focus of an effective system."
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #54
The Fly

I recently read something that makes a great deal of sense concerning the mindset of suicide bombers. I don't want to stereotype, but many suicide bombers are from Middle Eastern nations, and most are young men. In their cultures, they are forbidden from contact with women for much of their young lives. This, combined with the fact that they have raging libidos, causes them to blow themselves up in the name of Allah. Since the promise for the suicide bombers is direct passage to heaven, along with receiving 70 virgins once he gets there, many young, middle easterners (Muslims) embrace such an act. Plus the fact that they are being brainwashed and lied to.

I just feel really deeply for those people. They are being lied to, and they are living in a culture that they really cannot get out of. It just really sucks all around.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Are they going to start confiscating sneakers with gel soles like the Nike running shoes and the rest?

One day we will be all flying barefoot and sitting in our underwear..

Or maybe we should come up with airlines for light-skinned people and one for dark-skinned people, maybe that will speed things up.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 AM
netminder0's post

^Good reason for separation of church and state.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

Sami, you'll be fine.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #58
The Fly

Actually, that isn't the problem at all BonoVox. The problem lies with the fact that those countries embrace false ideas regarding who God is, and how to please him. They teach that Allah is pleased when they blow up 50 people that aren't Muslim. This is the root of the problem.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by netminder0
Actually, that isn't the problem at all BonoVox. The problem lies with the fact that those countries embrace false ideas regarding who God is, and how to please him. They teach that Allah is pleased when they blow up 50 people that aren't Muslim. This is the root of the problem.
Bullshit. There are many Muslims who have grown up in secular countries that haven't turned to terrorism.

My point was when there isn't separation of church and state the quality of education is decreased.

The lack of real education and unfavory environments makes these individuals prone to falling for these virgin myths.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by netminder0
Actually, mainstream Islam teaches that suicide is a sin.