'Plot to blow up planes' foiled - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:23 AM
This is very serious stuff. Just goes to show how fragile life can be and how we shouldn´t take a single breath for granted.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
What is the root cause of Islamic terrorism?
I don't know, but I don't think we can chalk it up entirely to living lives of poverty and government oppression. Essentially all of Africa lives under the same conditions, with even worse poverty and more corrupt, bloodthirsty "leaders" but we haven't seen Africans massively take to blowing up western interests, targetting western civilians, suicide bombing and so on. And it isn't as if they wouldn't have justification given the state of their post-colonial existence which the west is largely responsible for.

Why haven't the South Americans in the favelas taken to the same course of action? It's a valid question, no?

So I would say you're partially correct but there are other social, cultural and possibly religious (nobody wants to say this outloud it seems ) factors that influence Islamic terrorism that are absent in other poor areas of the world.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
So I would say you're partially correct but there are other social, cultural and possibly religious (nobody wants to say this outloud it seems ) factors that influence Islamic terrorism that are absent in other poor areas of the world.

a sense of cultural and national humiliation. that's *huge*.

and let's come out and say it -- religion, and the potential in all religions, everywhere, to make the believer feel as if he is in the earth but not of it and that the only relationship that matters is his to God. it's amazingly solipsistic.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Also with religion, there is a real lack of secular education in the Middle East, and for a lot of the kids, the only thing they get at "school" is some more indoctrination. This is a huge, huge problem. Exclusively religious education is toxic, IMO.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Has any physical evidence been recovered?
I've only read about "plots" and "plans".
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
This now calls for armed secuirty to be on every single airplane taking off from every airport in the world.

How would this have stopped this plot?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

it's more of a deterent.

but if they're ultimate goal is to die for their cause, then I don't see this deterent as working.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh you guys and your "root causes." You completely forget that last years London bombers WERE ENGLISH (one was married with a child, one played cricket). As are today's suspects from early reports. That the four 9/11 pilots attended Western universities. 15 of the 19 came from well-to-do Saudi families. That the attacks of Al Queda and it's wannabe groups are not the work of impoverished, uneducated misfits but rather of relatively prosperous university graduates with technical degrees. Need I mention Osama bin Laden, the college educated son of a billionaire. Oh deary, what's his "root cause"?

The killing of ordinary citizens simply going about their business is not the result of poverty.
It's a deranged ideology in action.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Oh you guys and your "root causes." You completely forget that last years London bombers WERE ENGLISH (one was married with a child, one played cricket). As are today's suspects from early reports. That the four 9/11 pilots attended Western universities. 15 of the 19 came from well-to-do Saudi families. That the attacks of Al Queda and it's wannabe groups are not the work of impoverished, uneducated misfits but rather of relatively prosperous university graduates with technical degrees. Need I mention Osama bin Laden, the college educated son of a billionaire. Oh deary, what's his "root cause"?

The killing of ordinary citizens simply going about their business is not the result of poverty.

yes. they're just bad people. kill them all.

you also misread Al-Qaeda -- their top brass, so to speak, is indeed western educated and sophisticated (you know, like Pol Pot), but most of their foot soldiers are angry young men from countries like Saudi Arabia.

again, it comes down to a sense of humiliation and religion.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
it's more of a deterent.

but if they're ultimate goal is to die for their cause, then I don't see this deterent as working.
Did you read the article? The plot was to blow the plane with explosives, how the hell would this be a deterent?

It would just cause more problems having arms on a plane.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh you guys and your "root causes."
Yep, it's all part of the "white man's burden".
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

yes i read the article. Having armed police/military on a plan is supposed to be a deterent. I don't think that would work.

They have hundreds of armed police/military in the airports - will this stop someone from bombing a plane? No....but it's supposed to be a deterent, a method of scaring the idiots.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #43
The Fly

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:

We must ban cricket right away! It clearly leads to no good.

I’m not disputing that we’re talking about a ‘deranged ideology’ but that’s not the root cause. It is an important point though. The allure of Al-Qaeda has little to do with religion but is principally easy explanations and easily understood enemies using religion as veneer. It is a hate-based ideology and to label it ‘religion’ impedes understanding.

The question is what makes people follow such an ideology. That’s where the root cause is hiding.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

I think screening all cargo would be more effective than armed police and military.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Stop being frightened. There will be another major terrorist attack at some point on western countries. Fortunately, they have been able to thwart this apparent conspiracy. You are more likely to die in a car crash or from a fall than as a victim of a terrorist attack.
exactly.

to Scotland Yard and whatever other agencies stopped this.

Sami, you'll be fine.