Please list things.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never said 'excess', as if I could afford excess anyway lol! But if you get down to only 'want' and 'need' you might find yourself in a one room shack with a cot and a glass of water;) sometimes it takes a little more than just 'need' to keep your life worth living day to day.

No it doesn't. We are incredibly spoiled in the grand scheme of things.

Just think of it, we can argue about this with people across the globe from the comfort of our own home/office computer.

I am incredibly grateful for all the fulfilled wants in my life.

I go out too much and am trying to cut that down. I'm in the process of quitting smoking, not that I was that big of a smoker, but it will save me some $$. I'm pretty broke right now at this point in my life, so there aren't a whole lot of extras in my life. Although broke is a relative term in western society.

nbcrusader said:

Just think of it, we can argue about this with people across the globe from the comfort of our own home/office computer.

I agree 100%. Even the "poorest" in this forum have access to a computer, have the time, they can clothe their children while still paying for extras such as beer, cigarettes, ice cream, concert tickets, babysitters, daycare, etc. We are incredibly spoiled in the grand scheme of things.

nbcrusader said:

:up:

If you look at it as a game of chance, we are unlikely winners of a lottery, having been born in the first world. The vast majority of people out there have far less than us.

I'm grateful for every minute of it, not because of the material things we have, but because of the opportunities that we have, yet are denied to many.

BluberryPoptart said:
YOU may be incredibly spoiled, not me :p

I do believe that NBCrusader meant EXACTLY what BVS said when he said "spoiled"...........

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Even the "poorest" in this forum have access to a computer, have the time, they can clothe their children while still paying for extras such as beer, cigarettes, ice cream, concert tickets, babysitters, daycare, etc. We are incredibly spoiled in the grand scheme of things.

I know daycare may be a stretch...but I can't believe all the others not applying to your life.

What we are saying is, if you are in the united states, and using a computer (and obviously are able to put some coherent arguments together in a fairly literate manner)...you are FAR better off than many others in this world. ENOUGH of the "whoa is me" - PLEASE!

zoney! said:

What we are saying is, if you are in the united states, and using a computer (and obviously are able to put some coherent arguments together in a fairly literate manner)...you are FAR better off than many others in this world. ENOUGH of the "whoa is me" - PLEASE!

It was me who originally mentioned guilt. So please direct it to me if you disagree. I will however stand by that. You dont really need to look very far to see those who are worse off. We're all worse off than another in some way. Focusing on it isn't going to change much, but it also wont get rid of my shame at times because I could afford to get myself into whatever problems I might have now. I have bills coming out of my arse, but it was because I am privileged that this happened. It's all luck on whether we're born with a silver spoon in our mouths, I dont think anyone chooses poverty or hardship, so I do wonder why I got a relatively good deal and others didn't.

i know i'm spoiled... no 'woe is me' here. i'm a spoiled rotten 16 year old living in liberal suburbia minnesota. no denial. but i have alot of stuff that i could give up, and i'd probably be better for it. i'm just not a generous person, i never have been. so anyway:

things i have that i should get rid of:
any of my stupid electronics... palm pilots ( i have a clie u series... stupid stupid)... any of my cds, purses and bags (i have so many bags it pains me when i look in my closet...)
so:
probably about $1300 worth of stuff... that would pay for my close up trip... damn.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

It was me who originally mentioned guilt. So please direct it to me if you disagree. I will however stand by that. You dont really need to look very far to see those who are worse off. We're all worse off than another in some way. Focusing on it isn't going to change much, but it also wont get rid of my shame at times because I could afford to get myself into whatever problems I might have now. I have bills coming out of my arse, but it was because I am privileged that this happened. It's all luck on whether we're born with a silver spoon in our mouths, I dont think anyone chooses poverty or hardship, so I do wonder why I got a relatively good deal and others didn't.

You may have mentioned guilt first, but you didn't whine about it -- the whining is what people were reacting to with some of the the posts.

I could do without most things I buy. I could do without the things I listed in the "For the price of three movie tickets thread." I just ordered two copies of a CD tonight (one to keep, one to give away), but I didn't have to buy either. I just bought five original paintings and commissioned another one. Didn't need to have those (or the many others I have also purchased over the last year or so). I didn't need the blown glass items I bought, or the 15 different type of treats I buy for my dog Zeke. There are often things in my grocery cart I don't really need (do I really have to have imported Gouda?). I didn't need to buy the riding lawn mower I just got (even though it makes a huge difference in the time I spend on the lawn and only cost $300 - new!). I could have continued to use only the push mower. I don't really need this PC (or the printer/copier/scanner either), or the desk it's on. I don't really need the microwave, or the toaster oven (hell, I have a toaster and an oven, why do I really need a toaster oven?). Of course, I could come up with more.

Now even though I don't need the above things I really don't feel guilty buying them. By buying the artwork (both the paintings and the glass) for example, I am helping the artists to support themselves and their families. Same deal with the CD I ordered (newsflash to BP -- not every musician is wealthy. Most are just trying to make a living, just like everyone else).

I do realize, however, just how lucky I am to be able to buy not only things I need, but also things I want. And I do think it's an important lesson for every one of us lucky ones, even (perhaps especially) children. It's great to have stuff, but you don't need so much of it to be happy. I'm really grateful to my parents for NOT getting me everything I wanted, not even when I was little -- even if I did scream and cry and generally make their lives miserable when I wanted stuff. I was never deprived, but I certainly didn't have everything all the other kids had. I didn't have huge stacks of toys...if I wanted to play I made up games or read a book. And you know, unlike so many of those kids whos parents bought them every popular toy on the market, I was never bored, because my folks encouraged me to use my imagination.

I think by understanding that we don't "need" so much of the things we have, we are more apt to be gererous when we are able to give to others. And our giving doesn't just have to be monetary, time (as was mentioned earlier) is also so important.

Daycare $13,000 last year........

Say it with me.....$13,000.......

:drool:

zoney! said:

I know daycare may be a stretch...but I can't believe all the others not applying to your life.

To clarify I wasn't saying that daycare is an "extra" per se, I was saying that the truly poor in this country have problems paying for this neccesity so that they can go to work so they can feed their kid. Poor is a relative term, this is what I was trying to get across...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
To clarify I wasn't saying that daycare is an "extra" per se, I was saying that the truly poor in this country have problems paying for this neccesity so that they can go to work so they can feed their kid. Poor is a relative term, this is what I was trying to get across...

agreed! Daycare (as Dread has posted) has become a "need" in order for most American families to make it financially (two working parents needed).

Back
Top Bottom