Please forgive my naiveté of the issue of Immigration into my country.. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Justin, this logic doesn't make sense. By this logic all policemen, FBI agents, etc would have no need to follow the law.
But the diffrence is they do follow the law, yes there are some bad apples. But I dont see how it's not ok for them to take down a smuggler but it's ok to let millions of people flood our cities.

I am going out on a limb here. (In no way am I trying to disrespect and there are differences between, animals plants and humans)

But if you introduce a new species of animal or plant to a new environment it can cause damage to that environment.

If millions of people come in from all parts of the world, will there be enough resources to accomidate.

As I said before I mean no disrepect. I am only showing and example and there are differences.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #32
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:10 PM
But these border patrol agents didn't follow the law. Once a criminal has crossed back over the border, you can't shoot him. He's not in your country anymore.

So they broke the law. It doesn't matter who the criminal was or what he did.

And your example of a new species of animal or plant is flawed because immigrants aren't a different species.* Now if you want to talk about the problems that come from overpopulation, that's a more appropriate way to go.

*Can't believe I had to actually type that

Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
But these border patrol agents didn't follow the law. Once a criminal has crossed back over the border, you can't shoot him. He's not in your country anymore.

So they broke the law. It doesn't matter who the criminal was or what he did.

And your example of a new species of animal or plant is flawed because immigrants aren't a different species.* Now if you want to talk about the problems that come from overpopulation, that's a more appropriate way to go.
*Can't believe I had to actually type that
Thats what I meant to say. He was not in Mexico yet he was about to cross.

There have been reports of Federaly police crossing in to our border smuggle people and drugs in.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

But the diffrence is they do follow the law, yes there are some bad apples. But I dont see how it's not ok for them to take down a smuggler but it's ok to let millions of people flood our cities.

There are laws. Do cops shoot burglars? No unless a life is in danger. A cop should fire only when there are no other choices. Was this man armed? Were there lives in danger?

If not he obviously broke the law if he's serving time.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

We dont know if he had a gun. We dont know the whole story.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #36
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I'd be interested to hear the border patrol agents' testimony, that's for sure.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But the jury did, right?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Well that's why I said it's a matter for the Courts to decide. Why did you even ask what we thought?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

This is what amazes me. That everyone says there are laws and that what the Patrol Agents did was against the law. The Smuggler broke the law and so do millions of people who come in Illegaly from other countries. So it's ok to break one law (entering illegally) but to take down a smuggler is wrong?

Remember smugglers can bring in drugs, sex slaves weapons etc..

The African slaves brought to america were brought by smugglers weren't they?
Justin, I'm not sure if you've really thought through what you're advocating. You're suggesting that law enforcement officers should be above the law--that one person breaking a law gives license for someone else to also flout the laws also. You're arguing that it's not okay for a person to enter the country illegally therefore it is okay to murder that person.

And no, the slave trade in the Americas was perfectly legal.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It seems to me that there are just too many people from some countries (such as Mexico) that want to enter the U.S. The U.S. can't accomodate them all, and as Yolland pointed out, the wait to enter can take years with no garuantee of being approved for a work visa. I'm guessing many of the desperate poor feel they can't afford to wait for yeras.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Justin, I'm not sure if you've really thought through what you're advocating. You're suggesting that law enforcement officers should be above the law--that one person breaking a law gives license for someone else to also flout the laws also.
I thought Justin was advocating enforcement of "all" the laws. Laws checking the border patrol as well as laws governing immigration. Maybe he can clarify.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
The way I'm reading this story is, they caught the guy with pot, entering illegally, and when he got caught he ran...and they shot him in the back, while fleeing. That's wrong, period. I'm guessing based on the verdict that the jury saw it the same.

That said, I'm sure he didn't get his pot back...so when he's sent back to Mexico sans pot or cash I'm sure his supplier will finish what the border patrol didn't.

It concerns me that with so many immigrants trying to enter the country, from all nations, that folks only seem to get worked up over immigrants from Mexico.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

I thought Justin was advocating enforcement of "all" the laws. Laws checking the border patrol as well as laws governing immigration. Maybe he can clarify.
Law enforcement must obey the laws as all people, there not above it and not overstep it. We dont know the whole story as I said. But we as a country have immigration laws that must be followed and enforced, so why do people get so worked up and say oh just leave them be, who cares??? That does not make sense.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

It concerns me that with so many immigrants trying to enter the country, from all nations, that folks only seem to get worked up over immigrants from Mexico.
Indeed.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

But we as a country have immigration laws that must be followed and enforced, so why do people get so worked up and say oh just leave them be, who cares??? That does not make sense.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that immigration laws don't need to be followed or enforced. They do. I think we all agree on that. There may be some disagreement as to how effective or humane certain immigration laws or policies might be, but I don't think anyone is saying that illegal immigration "doesn't matter."

I think people ARE saying that just because someone breaks immigration laws, that does not give law enforcement officials carte blanche right to shoot them down.