Please Don't Be Wrong Issac Newton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Newton's apocalypse is near
February 25 2003

Party like it's 2060: Sir Isaac Newton predicted the world would end in 57 years, according to a BBC documentary.

Sir Isaac Newton predicted the world would end in the year 2060, scribbling the date on a piece of paper, according to theories uncovered by academics in Jerusalem.

The prophecy has been unearthed from little-known handwritten manuscripts in a library, a BBC documentary due to screen on Saturday will show.

The pages show Newton's attempts to decode the Bible, which he believed contained God's secret laws for the universe.

The most definitive date he set for the apocalypse, which he scribbled on a scrap of paper, was 2060.

Newton, who died in 1727, is best known for discovering gravity - supposedly when an apple fell on his head. Voted among the 10 greatest Britons last year, he is credited with being the forefather of modern physics.

But he was also a theologian and alchemist, who predicted that the Second Coming of Christ would follow plagues and war and would precede a 1,000-year reign by the saints on earth - of which he would be one.

Newton's fascination with the end of the world, which has been researched by a Canadian academic, Stephen Snobelen, is to be explored in a documentary, Newton: The Dark Heretic, on BBC2 on March 1.

"What has been coming out over the past 10 years is what an apocalyptic thinker Newton was," Malcolm Neaum, the producer, said.

"He spent something like 50 years and wrote 4,500 pages trying to predict when the end of the world was coming. But until now it was not known that he ever wrote down a final figure. He was very reluctant to do so."

:eeklaugh: Honest to God... no joke... I had a apocalyptic dream about 2060 last month.

despite his brilliance, i wont put too much stock into his "prediction." if God says noone knows when Christ will come again, then that would include newton too.

thats just me though.

oh and im terribly sorry if that sounded religious. i know im percieved as right wing in this thread, so all you leftists heed my calling for forgiveness ok?

:up:

still an interesting article though, dreadsox!

yes, and call for my head.

religious views should be completely removed from all social forums.

*sarcasm

Predictions on the apocalypse are predicated on God being some monolithic and static Being.

To be honest, I don't know if there is such a thing as an "end of the world." I almost think that we'll be disappointed if everything isn't destroyed.

Melon

If there is indeed going to be an end to the world, only God knows when it will happen. Isaac Newton was a brilliant man, but he was only human.

Back
Top Bottom