please challenge me on ww2 history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
i think this could be fun.

now because im asking for it, im going to have to ask you to limit questions to the european war.

questions about the soviets and the germans would be most appreciated.

i want to see how i stack (the pads :wink:) against you brainchilds.

and truth be told, i will try and answer the questions without looking for the answer.

people, places, dates, and theories are all great questions.

and yes dear diary, i am bored. but this could be fun.

word up.

fine, ill ask myself a sample question first to get going.

"which general was given an iron cross, and promoted to field marshall the day before he surrendered the 6th army to the soviets in stalingrad?"

answer: paulus.

there.

its that simple.

entertain me.

Last edited:
on d-day, why wasnt there any german artillery to back up the soldiers?

euh, it's easy i know, i'll try harder after class.

Lilly said:
on d-day, why wasnt there any german artillery to back up the soldiers?

euh, it's easy i know, i'll try harder after class.

well, that is fairly easy. its not like they had NO artillery, but almost all of it was in the eastern front trying to prevent the massive russian onslaught.

it should be noted that when hitler found out about the d-day invasion, he simply said "ok, well make sure counter-strike and get them out of there by tommorow."

he didnt really have a firm grasp on a lot of things.

absolutely, and in every way except one - and that he was a registered member of the nazi party, whereas i was smart enough never to join.

but despite that one key flaw to his record, it turned out to obviously be a good thing as it allowed him to save many, many jews.

Why did Hitler insist on going through the Kaukasus instead of around it and attack them in the rear?
Why did Monty call operation Market Garden a 95% succes, while it's objective clearly wasn't reached?
Why were the Romanians so eager to fight for the Germans, compared to other countries?
Why did Hitler start a second front in the east without having dealt with the UK first, why didn't he postpone Barbarossa untill the following year?

Gickies Gageeze said:

well, that is fairly easy. its not like they had NO artillery, but almost all of it was in the eastern front trying to prevent the massive russian onslaught.

it should be noted that when hitler found out about the d-day invasion, he simply said "ok, well make sure counter-strike and get them out of there by tommorow."

actually hitler slept in on d-day, subsequently he couldn't order tanks and artillery to back up the battle at normandy.

1. What was the name of the German officer that tried to defect to England in an airplane and what was his fate?

2. When did Italy and Japan join the Axis Powers and what were their motivations?

Lilly said:

actually hitler slept in on d-day, subsequently he couldn't order tanks and artillery to back up the battle at normandy.

so he slept in, that did not matter. the fact remains that in 1944, june nonetheless, the germans had the majority of their resources tied up on the eastern front.

though they had created a decent fortress to thwart an attack on the western front, they by no means were capable of instantly sending troops over to deal with them. lack of men and machines prevented the germans from being able to deal with the d-day invasion.

i mean thats fairly obvious. that whole operation was completed in a day, what does that tell you?

I thought they had some SS divisions in reserve but Hitler was reluctant to use them because he thought the real landing was going to be more north. And he slept in as well, they didn't dare awake him.

DrTeeth said:
Why did Hitler insist on going through the Kaukasus instead of around it and attack them in the rear?
Why did Monty call operation Market Garden a 95% succes, while it's objective clearly wasn't reached?
Why were the Romanians so eager to fight for the Germans, compared to other countries?
Why did Hitler start a second front in the east without having dealt with the UK first, why didn't he postpone Barbarossa untill the following year?

best questions yet.

1. he wanted to go through that region because of the vast oil fields which layed there. its was absolutely critical that germany claim oil fields to power their war machine.

2. market garden was a success because it did achieve a large part of holland to be liberated. preserving what is now considered a historical bridge, the nijmegen bridge was kept intact which would prove to be very handy to the allies.

3. ah, i dont know this one. im not even going to try.

4. this one is easy. hitler falsely claimed england was all but finished and could move on to his next objective. he imagined a quick war with the soviets, but the russians method of collapse defence worked in the end.

how?

well in other countries, poland for example, the army would be sent to the perimeter of the country and fight from there. in russia, however, they only possessed very minimal ammounts of defence on their border. as the germans gained ground, the defence collapsed into another ring of defence created in advance. after that ring was slowly destroyed, the remnants would travel further up the country and join up yet another ring of defence. by the time the germans got to the suburbs of moscow, they had met their match. combined with a strong defence, and horrid temperatures for which they were not prepared, the germans lost momentum they would not regain until the following summer. but by then the wehrmacht was considerably weakend, as they had faced their second (first being england) setback.

why?

well since this was your question to begin with, i cant say i really know why. hitler believed it would be a quick war - and he had every right to think that. germany had seen how sloppy russia was in their war with finland months before.

DrTeeth said:
I thought they had some SS divisions in reserve but Hitler was reluctant to use them because he thought the real landing was going to be more north. And he slept in as well, they didn't dare awake him.

well they had reserves of some sort right up until the battle of berlin, technically, but nothing compared to the power the allies were preparing to unload on the beaches of normandy in june of 44.

deep said:
1. What was the name of the German officer that tried to defect to England in an airplane and what was his fate?

2. When did Italy and Japan join the Axis Powers and what were their motivations?

1. Rudolph Hess, flew into England on May 7, 1941.

2. he committed suicide in an east berlin prison in 1987.

DrTeeth said:

Because the Romanians feared the Soviet Union even more, and they saw Nazi Germany as their emancipator from their communist leader.

:sexywink:

Melon

deep said:

Gagookies forgot Part II. :angry: Hess was sentenced to life in prison, and, from 1966 onwards, he was the sole prisoner in Spandau Prison. He died on August 17, 1987, officially having committed suicide, but there are questions as to whether a 93 year-old man with poor health could hang himself without assistance.

Melon

:angry:

sooooooooooooooooorry, melon, so i didnt say the day he died. :angry:

yes, i agree about the whole oddity of him hanging himself at such an old age. and why then? i mean, he'd been in prison for so many years, why would he commit suicide at that time?

current neo-nazi's feel the same way, and now treat him as a martyr.

Gickies Gageeze said:

Also it's not wrong i'd like to comment a little on this one:

German Military allready knew that they lost Worldwar II -that's one of the reasons why some of them tried to convince the alies to stop war and tried to get a peace contract (Hess).
Well - after they realized that they didn't get what they wanted (unconditional surender wasn't what they were thinking of) and they didn't have enough people (remember, they fought against russia, great britain, france and the US) to defend all fronts they decided that it's more important the defend russians

well Russia started to catch up with military production and he thought he can win if he hurries - well he forgot about the russian winter which saved the USSR.

Klaus

klaus, though i agree with what you said, i disagree with your observartion on hess.

hess acted alone. he flew into england before barbarossa even started. in fact, germany was at their strongest at this point, so they definately did not believe the war was lost.

but maybe i just misunderstood what you were saying?

Gickies:

My Rudolf He? observation was my personal speculation, sorry that i didn't mention it.

He? imho never spoke about the background of that flight and the British documents about that case are non public because of national security until 2017, some even until 2035

right they werent allready in war with russia (barbarossa) - they were 1 month before the war against russia (but i'm sure He? knew about the upcoming next war)

So - at the time they were at war with:
Great Britain
Frace (well i'm unsure where to file that)
Australia
New Zealand
India
South Africa
Egypt
Romania
Greece
Canada

and won against:
Poland
Belgium
Luxembourg
Holland
France (well we can discuss about that)
Yugoslavia
Norway

(i hope my memories are right - feel free to correct me)

So my guess was that most of the military guys in Germany began to realize that this one - and the upcoming war against russia was way too much.

Also - thank good - wind in the US changed:
1937 New York Times started to complain about the connections of Prescott Bush and the Nazis (Not only P.Bush and his partners, also big German companies like Thyssen made it possible for the Nazis to fund the giant election campaign and the private 300.000 man army)

Klaus

Was it Hitler or Stalin who used to take off his clothes right before someone came to visit him and see how quickly he could get dressed before they got there? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom