Playing the Race Card!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The six-term congresswoman apparently struck a Capitol Police officer when he tried to stop her from entering a House office building without going through a metal detector.
Members of Congress wear identifying lapel pins and routinely are waved into buildings without undergoing security checks. The officer apparently did not recognize McKinney, she said in a statement.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/31/D8GMPKR81.html
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/31/D8GMLI4G0.html

A lawyer for Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the Georgia congresswoman who had an altercation with a Capitol Police officer, says she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black."

So just because the Officer was doing his job and then are accussed of punching him you play it's because I'm black card.

The black card is played less than the "persecuted Christian" card these days.

Melon

I have to ask, this woman or whoever she is aside, is it still a card if it's real? Cause I mean, playing a card makes it sound really bad, but sometimes it might be real, like if I were playing the 'i'm ready to go to bed now' card.

saying that someone is playing the race card is very much playing the race card.

and we've got far more of a historical basis for the persecution of homosexuals than we do for the persecution of Christians in this country.

but the woman's wacky, either way.

Irvine511 said:
saying that someone is playing the race card is very much playing the race card.

and we've got far more of a historical basis for the persecution of homosexuals than we do for the persecution of Christians in this country.

but the woman's wacky, either way.

Now I am confused. Which card are you playing?

:wink:

I lived in her district for a while. She is, as others have said, a nut job. She played the race card (as well as every other card in the deck) when she got voted out for a term a while back. Thing is, the person who won was also a black woman (who I met once before the election and she was very nice). :shrug:

I think she keeps a couple of cards up her sleeve.....

Lawyer Says McKinney a Victim in Scuffle

A lawyer for Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the Georgia congresswoman who had an altercation with a Capitol Police officer, says she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black."

McKinney awaited word Friday on whether she would be charged for apparently striking the officer after she entered a House office building this week unrecognized and did not stop when asked.

Two law enforcement officials said it was unlikely a warrant would be issued this week. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Her lawyer, James W. Myart Jr., said, "Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin."

"Ms. McKinney is just a victim of being in Congress while black," Myart said. "Congresswoman McKinney will be exonerated."

So, according to McKinney and her lawyer:
being black + being a member of Congress = victim
(I wonder how many other black congressional members characterize themselves as victims.....)

I remember when McKinney lost her seat in 2002 to Denise Majette (a black Republican). Cynthia and her father publicly blamed her loss on the Jews in her district for voting against her.
Too bad Majette decided to run for the senate (unsuccessfully) after a single term in congress. And yet again, McKinney was voted back in. What a shame.

At first I felt very sympathetic towards her but seeing her on CNN and reading more about this incident and others-to play the race card as an excuse for bad behavior, if that's what she's doing, is not acceptable. I'm sure she has experienced plenty of racism, including on Capitol Hill-but is it that or is it just her personality? I don't know. On the other hand I have never experienced racism and don't have any idea what it is like to live in her shoes. I'm sure it makes you extremely sensitive and emotional, defensive too.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/0419natmckinney.html

The official police report on Rep. Cynthia McKinney's clash with a Capitol Hill police officer three weeks ago says the DeKalb County congresswoman struck the officer "in his chest with [a] closed fist."

The "event report" — obtained Tuesday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution — describes the altercation as an assault on a police officer.

The officer involved in the incident, identified as Paul McKenna, filed the report with his supervisors immediately after the incident occurred at 8:55
a.m. March 29.

The report for the first time provides specific details of what happened when McKenna tried to stop McKinney from going around a security checkpoint at a House office building.

There had previously been reports that McKinney "stabbed" the officer with a cellphone or that she slapped McKenna with an open hand."

^Interesting. B/c I'm assuming by most people, you mean of all races. My house is one of 2 houses on my street that is not occupied by a black family. The house I lived in before was in a similar neighborhood. I tell you I honestly, my friends and I are not wanted there or welcomed at all. I've been stared down, called names, given the middle finger, or even sometimes yelled at just for sitting on my porch on a nice afternoon or night.

I'm a pretty secure guy, pretty big, so really other than that kind of stuff, these people don't bother with me. But it goes both ways.

One more story, I've had a couple of my items stolen by the neighborhood kids (cell phone, bike) to which when I accuse them of having it(they give it back b/c I can always prove it's mine), out comes the "P" word. "Man, you're prejudice" they say to me. I just thank them for giving me back my things and walk on. But that does bug me. How can I even try to live with people like this if ANYTHING I do could end up being "prejudice". It's frustrating...

Edit: Hell, even one of my neighborhood kids came up to my car one night and asked if he could drive my car around. He was 14 with no license so I said no. He was so mad and again, didn't say prejudice but said I didn't let him b/c he was black. When in actuallity, I wouldn't let anyone 14 drive my car. If he's 14 and thinking this, how does one change these ideas engraved in a 14 year old's head??? WHY are these thoughts in his head I guess I think however too....I don't know. Confusing topic to me. Lots of dynamics...:(

Last edited:
President plays the race card.

In his remarks, the president repeatedly referred to the need to stay in Iraq to deny terrorists a "safe haven." He asserted, according to the White House transcript that, "Iraq has -- had weapons of mass destruction and has the knowledge as to how to produce weapons of mass destruction." He also said that our enemies "know, and it doesn't take much to realize, that when you put carnage on our TV screens, it causes us to weep."

He also said: "It's not easy work, by the way, to go from tyranny to democracy. We had kind of a round go ourself, if you look back at our history.
My Secretary of State's relatives were enslaved in the United States even though we had a Constitution that said all were -- that believed in the dignity, or at least proclaimed to believe in the dignity of all. The Articles of Confederation wasn't exactly a real smooth start for our government to begin.
And what you're watching on your TV screens is a new democracy emerging."

Back
Top Bottom