Playing Politics With Cancer Screening For Women - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Playing Politics With Cancer Screening For Women

time.com

Sunday, Mar. 25, 2007
Playing Politics With Cancer Screening
By Nancy Gibbs

Planned Parenthood made its name by helping people plan parenthood, promoting access to contraception and providing general reproductive health care. Fewer than one in ten clients comes for abortions, and less than 30% of 860 Planned Parenthood clinics in the U.S. actually provide abortions. In fact Planned Parenthood argues that it prevents nearly 300,000 abortions a year by helping prevent unintended pregnancies. But the fireworks of the culture wars have meant that the organization has become the face of abortion in America, and that brings a literal as well as political cost.

For fifteen years, Planned Parenthood of Southwest Missouri clinics in Joplin and Springfield have offered free breast and cervical cancer screenings as part of the state's "Show Me Healthy Women" program. Now Governor Matt Blunt has announced that he will cut off all program funding to Planned Parenthood and redirect it to other health clinics. "Patients should not have to go to an abortion clinic to access life-saving tests," Blunt declared. Refusing to fund cancer screening at the clinics, he said, "ensures women may access important preventative care without contributing to abortion providers' goal of facilitating the destruction of innocent life."

Here's the twist: The clinics in question do not provide abortion services, though they will discuss the procedure and make referrals. "He was being dishonest," says Kellie Rohrbaugh, director of public affairs for Planned Parenthood of Southwest Missouri, who says her office received a fax alerting them to the funding cuts 45 minutes before the governor's press conference. "We asked the administrator of the program if women had complained about going to Planned Parenthood, and she said we'd been a very good partner. We could get people in quickly, have them seen, refer them to treatment quickly if they needed it."

This is about injecting politics into women's health, Rohrbaugh argues. But here's another twist. Blunt, the youngest governor in the country at 36 and the son of House Minority Whip Roy Blunt, is a decorated former navy officer who has long opposed most abortion. But he also supported the "Missouri Stem Cell Research and Cures Initiative," which was designed to promote "ethical stem cell research" but which critics denounced as allowing human cloning. That stance inspired Missouri Right to Life to declare that they no longer consider the governor an ally, and charge that he had "broken faith with the tens of thousands of pro-life volunteers around the state who helped elect him."

This is how it goes now. Planned Parenthood clinics lose money to help fight cancer because their parent organization has an image problem: Every time they have to step in to defend abortion rights, it reinforces the impression that that is their main mission. This makes them an easier political target, since overwhelming majorities of Americans favor access to contraception: a Wall Street Journal poll last summer found that 81% of Catholics and 75% of born-again Christians favored providing access to birth control as a way to reduce the need for abortion.

Meanwhile the Governor who cuts the funds himself is slapped for compromising on stem cell research — even though some staunch abortion opponents have more textured feelings about where to put up the guardrails around research. One ABC news poll found that only half of all opponents of legal abortion oppose stem cell research. Blunt may want to think twice about playing the politics of guilt by association.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 PM
I'm getting so tired of this...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:20 PM
I hate politicians.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

It's interesting to me that a Republican can do something like this, possibly causing so many women to walk around with cancer and not even know it and not receive treatment-but many people are all over John Edwards and even accusing him of using his wife's cancer for political purposes and of putting politics above his wife's health

Who is really playing politics with womens lives and not caring about their health?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have no words for this idiot. I understand the political game but this is screwing with women's lives...jackass.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
She's the One

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Why is it surprising to anyone that a Republican would do something like this?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^ It's not surprising I don't think...it's pathetic.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'm getting so tired of this...
Ditto. I really don't know what else to say...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Have the Republicans actually been right on a single issue in the last 5 years?

To be so wrong about so many things so often....you really have to put some effort into it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Last 15 years?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I hate politicians.
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
I have no words for this idiot. I understand the political game but this is screwing with women's lives...jackass.
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

To be so wrong about so many things so often....you really have to put some effort into it.
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Last 15 years?

Nothing will ever get accomplished in this country as long as it is politicized. The whole system makes me sick
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
I'm getting very tired of shenanigans like this.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't add more to this than has already been said.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

This governor's thought process is just ridiculous Honestly, did he ever think, "Hmm, maybe these women need to go to a clinic that offers free services because they can't afford decent health care in this country" No, all that is thought about is "saving" the values of America.

Apparently, keeping people alive isn't one of them
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
Apparently, keeping people alive isn't one of them
Think of it this way: Women with cancer aren't going to be effective vessels for carrying the holy seed of creation anyway, so why support them? We only should provide health care for women who can effectively carry babies to term.

Because that's what women are. Vessels for more babies.