Plasma TVs Are A Girl's Best Friend - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:19 PM
Plasma TVs Are A Girl's Best Friend

I like diamonds and I woud certainly live to have one/some, but I would much rather have a new and fantastic digital camera. If I had to choose I'd take the TV or the camera. Definitely over shoes (I like comfortable shoes, nothing fancy at all), but I don't know about the vacation. It would have to be a great trip but maybe the tech item wins because it lasts so much longer than the vacation.

I guess if any "tech gap" ever existed, it is rapidly disappearing. Some of the most talented people I know with gadgets and computers are women.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Diamonds are no longer a girl's best friend, according to a new U.S. study that found three of four women would prefer a new plasma TV to a diamond necklace.

The survey, commissioned by U.S. cable television's Oxygen Network that is owned and operated by women, found the technology gender gap has virtually closed with the majority of women snapping up new technology and using it easily.

Women were found on average to own 6.6 technology devices while men own 6.9, and four out of every five women felt comfortable using technology with 46 percent doing their own computer trouble-shooting.

"People make the assumption that women are not as advanced as men when it comes to technology and I was surprised at the parity men and women now have in terms of technology," Geraldine Laybourne, chairman and chief executive of Oxygen Network, told Reuters.

The Girls Gone Wired survey of 1,400 women and 700 men aged 15 to 49, which was conducted by market researcher TRU, found that given the choice, women would opt for tech items rather than luxury items like jewelry or vacations.

The study found 77 percent of women surveyed would prefer a new plasma television to a diamond solitaire necklace and 56 percent would opt for a new plasma TV over a weekend vacation in Florida.

Even shoes lost out. The study found 86 percent would prefer a new digital video camera to a pair of designer shoes.

The study found over the next five years women see themselves increasing their activities in six tech areas: digital cameras, cell phones, e-mail, camera phones, text messaging and instant messaging.

Laybourne said this increasing use of technology among women was expected to continue -- with advertisers needing to ensure they addressed women's increased usage and knowledge.

"Women don't feel like they have been given credit for what they know and they are condescended to," Laybourne said.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:19 AM
that's interesting.

me, i'd rather have diamonds.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I have an LCD HDTV and I wouldn't part with it at the threat of death! And I have my laptop with me anywhere I go pretty much.

I wouldn't turn diamonds down or anything, but new toys are much more fun.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:19 AM
LCD HDTV

I wouldn't take a pass on diamonds either but I'd love an LCD tv.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I heard this on the radio today!!

Well... an LCD HTV sounds like fun, but diamonds..? Oh my Gotta love them diamonds...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The only jewelry I wear is my engagement ring (sapphire, hate diamonds) and a toe ring. Give me the plasma TV Or better yet, a Canon digital SLR with lots of fun components.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Diamonds don't fascinate me in the least...but plasma TVs and super nice digital cameras...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:19 PM

I would easily pass on jewelry for that kind of stuff. Besides, I would be a lot more likely to lose a diamond necklace than I would a plasma TV.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:19 AM
these results really surprise me.

i mean, in fifteen years those TVs will have long since died, but a diamond will still have just as much value.

isn't that important anymore? things that last?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 AM
I simply couldn't live without a camera (or two !) but otherwise I get by quite happily gadget and diamond free! Heck, I don't even own a mobile/cell phone!!!!

Give me a vacation, anytime Is it possible to have a never-ending one?!?!?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'll take the vacation. Hey, I want to go back to Turkey. Screw the diamonds.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

i mean, in fifteen years those TVs will have long since died, but a diamond will still have just as much value.

I just don't have much use for diamonds. I have a pair of diamond earrings. I certainly don't need a $3000 dollar pair of diamond earrings.

If I get a diamond engagement ring someday that'd be great but I wouldn't buy one for my self.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

I guess it depends on how you define what lasts and how you define which objects have value. Honestly, I've no use for a plasma TV, game systems, sound equipment - that sort of technology. Never had it, don't miss it.

However, I treat my camera as if it were my child. No, my camera will not physically last, but the ability to shoot high resolution photos AND videos on a moment's notice? To me, those things will last, my videos and even more importantly, my photos. Photographs have always been very important to me and my family. I treat them as though they were family heirlooms like expensive jewelry (possibly because our family has never possessed and jewelry worth passing on). I never realized how special the photos and videos were until my dear grandma lost the ability to go out of the house. Now, we have an even closer bond because I'm literally her "eyes and ears", taking photos and videos of everything so she's not excluded, and making sure her photos are preserved and passed on.

For me, technology - digital photography especially - has closed the gap between me and family members who are far away or aren't always able to join in regular family activities. Yes, I would trade all the diamonds in the world any day for these opportunities.

Also, I've always disliked diamonds specifically because they are extremely over-valued. I've never understood the diamond market and how it continues to thrive. Diamond is actually used in a lot of technology components.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I don't have that much use for diamonds, either. I'd rather spend the money on a trip to Turkey. Not now, though, it's too damn hot there, and most of their buildings don't have air conditioning. Yuck.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:19 AM
I don't need Diamonds. Like Verte said I rather take another Vacation. I want to go to Ireland again. In fact I want to retire there. I love that country so much.