plane crash in Venezuela

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LJT said:

There is an advert on UK tv at the moment stating 80% of people survive when hit at 30mph....it will vary with the speed they are hit...

That's a misleading statistic, in a 30 mph crash....that means that the total speed is 30 mph. So yes, you will have 80% survival if you are driving 15 and you crash into someone else driving 15.

unosdostres14 said:
That's a misleading statistic, in a 30 mph crash....that means that the total speed is 30 mph. So yes, you will have 80% survival if you are driving 15 and you crash into someone else driving 15.

Actually, if it's the same ad I've seen it's talking about a car travelling at 30mph hitting a pedestrian.

Angela Harlem said:
People seem to miss this each time (well, Jeff does anyway every time I argue this with him) the problem is a virtual 100% fatality rate in plane crashes versus a much lower in cars. You dont need statistics to tell you that you can hope for a jolted neck or broken ribs in a car accident, but better find Jesus and fast, if your plane is going down.
:(

But, again...your chances are SOOOO unlikely of ever getting in a plane crash...does it matter? It really is a silly argument.

How many people posting here know more than three people who have been killied in a car accident...and then how many people here know three (crap...ONE person) killed in an airliner crash (and I am saying airliner)?

There might be one ot two people who have posted in this thread that could tell me they know one person from an airliner crash. Maybe.

I know of two people who died in plane crashes, but it doesn't count because they both were pilots and died flying small personal aircraft in dangerous conditions. :|

I've been flying a LOT since I was 3...didn't have much choice with missionary parents. And although statistically that may increase my odds of being in an airline crash, I will continue to fly. We all will die one day. We don't get to choose how or when. I suppose we could just stay within our houses and cower in fear and relative safety, or we can get out, explore the world, and live the life we have to the fullest. Airplanes have taken me to almost every part of the world and I am grateful for that opportunity.

a lot.

I really have no idea. The stats are out there, but I don't feel like going to FAA.gov or somewhere to find it.

I am NOT discounting the deaths of the individuals you knew, Sula. The point to me restricting this to airline only crashes was to prove a point HERE...in THIS THREAD. And I think it has proved itself.

I deal with people everyday that (flight attendants and pilots) that have flwon with an airline for more than 30 years. 15 times a month, they fly anywhere from two to five "trips" a day.

If you say four trips in a day....that means more than 21,000 flights for these flight attendants with 30 years of airline service. Now, lets also figure that my airline alone has more than 3,000 flight attendants (I am not sure of the exact number...but I know it is more than 3000).

In the last 25 years, our airline has had three incidents where lives were lost. So, there are thousands and thousands of employees JUST at my airline that have flown more than 20,000 times without a crash.

I wonder how many of these FAs have been in car accidents in that same time period.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Actually, if it's the same ad I've seen it's talking about a car travelling at 30mph hitting a pedestrian.

Yeh it is talking about a pedestrian not a car on car crash....

zoney! said:
I am NOT discounting the deaths of the individuals you knew, Sula. The point to me restricting this to airline only crashes was to prove a point HERE...in THIS THREAD. And I think it has proved itself.

No, no. I know you weren't. :) Actually, I was agreeing with you. I only mentioned them to point out that the only air crashes that affected me personally have been non-commercial, non-airline. I think that the odds of airlines having accidents are favorable enough that I continue to fly on them with confidence, and as I said above, am grateful for the opportunity.

Keep up the good work, Jeff. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom