plane crash in Venezuela - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 PM
This is really unfortunate. I'll still fly but these crashes are giving me the creeps.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #17
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Well everytime you go out for a drive or walk along a footpath, you are more likely to die than when flying...

Just when plane crashes happen, they are larger scale events...

Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
As much as the statistics of the incredibly low likelihood of being in a plane crash are comforting, what I'd like to see are statistics on the odds of actually surviving a plane crash.
Air France in YYZ three weeks ago!

Are there stats about surviving car crashes?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #19
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

There is an advert on UK tv at the moment stating 80% of people survive when hit at 30mph....it will vary with the speed they are hit...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

That seems to have been the exception rather than the rule, though. It doesn't seem you have much of a chance of surviving if you're unfortunate enough to have your plane plunge into the side of a mountain.

I guess that's why I feel safer in other modes of transport; I figure at least I have a fairly good chance of survival should something go wrong. Take rail transport for instance - if memory serves me correctly, only five people have died on New Zealand railways since the Tangiwai disaster of Christmas Eve 1953. That's roughly one person every ten years - I'll take those odds!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
This is why I loathe air transport.

Give me the train any day. At least if it derails, the chances of survival are in my favour.
You took a train when you came over to the US a couple of months ago?

I will admit I'm a nervous traveller. I can't help think when I do fly that it's worth it unless the plane crashes, and then the trip (whatever it is for) wouldn't be worth dying for.

As for driving, I do it so frequently that I'm used to it and fairly numb to the danger (except on bridges, which creep me out big time). Plus I have been in car wrecks and been completely uninjured, and most people I know have also been in car wrecks and escaped with fairly minor injuries. So while I understand the statistcs show air travel to be far safer, it feels less safe.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

You took a train when you came over to the US a couple of months ago?
Truly, I wish I didn't have to take the plane to get to the States. Having to take four separate flights to get from the Gold Coast to Nashville is enough to bother me. I just bring a good book and CDs and try to forget where I am.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:36 PM
I love flying. It's the same sort of thing with roller coasters...you know the statistics are against anything ever happening, but if something does happen, you're basically dead and that's it. I know most people hate it, but I like that feeling, knowing you have no control over any of it.

Anyway, I feel completely safe on planes...driving (or riding I should say ) down the street scares the hell out of me...crosses all over the road, one of them with the names of 4 boys from my old neighborhood. in just 3 years of being open, 7 kids at our school have died in road accidents. (none of them were drunk either, people always assume that. ) my best friend got in a really bad accident last christmas...scary as hell.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #24
Refugee

Both engines quit working???

Then a ghost flight a few days earlier.

In Toronto a plane lands too late and leaves the runway. I read where there was another similar occurrence somewhere in Europe.

Too much which makes too little sense.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:36 PM
they are still investigating.....

Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #26
The Fly

Quote:

Truly, I wish I didn't have to take the plane to get to the States. Having to take four separate flights to get from the Gold Coast to Nashville is enough to bother me. I just bring a good book and CDs and try to forget where I am.
I agree. Books, iPod. Attempting to ignore where I am. Secrets to my staying calm on my flight to NYC in two weeks!

I know statistically, you're more likely to die in a car accident than a plane crash, but it's still the fastest way to travel. I'd love to take the train, but that's a 2000 mile trip from southern CA to NYC -- a wee bit impractical. That being said, I'm a little more nervous than I normally am, but I'm still going.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
in just 3 years of being open, 7 kids at our school have died in road accidents. (none of them were drunk either, people always assume that. ) my best friend got in a really bad accident last christmas...scary as hell.
For teenagers the first year or two after they get their license is a particularly deadly time. I think you have to get to the over 90 age group until you find more deadly accidents per capita. And the kids don't have to be drunk...they just don't have the experience to handle problems when they come up. Young, inexperienced drivers are very scary indeed.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:06 PM
The author of Freakonomics comments on the statistical probability of flying vs driving. He agrees that more people die in car accidents vs flying. But you have to consider per-hour death rates of flying vs driving. People spend more time in cars than in airplanes and he suggests that per-hour death rate is same for both.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #29
Jesus Online

People seem to miss this each time (well, Jeff does anyway every time I argue this with him) the problem is a virtual 100% fatality rate in plane crashes versus a much lower in cars. You dont need statistics to tell you that you can hope for a jolted neck or broken ribs in a car accident, but better find Jesus and fast, if your plane is going down.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
I would bet that statistics would show that you would have a BETTER chance of you getting killed by an escaped convict who has just stolen an SUV than you flying in an airplane.
That statistic is probably heavily based on the fact that people spend an average of several hours a week either driving or being a passenger in a car or walking down the street. I would think most people (in Western nations, at least) spend an average of a few hours a year (if that) on aeroplanes. Of course the chances of a person being involved in a road accident are higher if they spend perhaps a hundred percent more time on roads than on planes.