Picky?? Or Accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizabeth

New Yorker
hey- i dont usually post here so i am not sure if this is the best forum to start this discussion, but here goes.

I listen to NPR a lot, because my job is "Science on the Road." Hence I am on the road everyday and listen to talk radio to stay awake...

today i was listening to reports about the 2000 census long forms. There was a dude from the Brookings Institure analyzing the data that said avg US incomes were increasing, but there was still a high number of americans living under the poverty line. he stated the cause of this was immigration.

He said something like "immigrants come to the US and often have little education and are...well they are poor."

And that's what got me thinking. I am very sensitive to word choice (sometimes.) For some reason, his statement "the ARE poor" bothered me because he made their economic status part of their identity. I used to study eugenics and early 20th c. genetics ideas, and the fact that demographic data can often be confused with the "nature" of a certain group is a worry always sort of lurking about my mind.

i worry the same thing when i go into schools and hear students say that "slaves followed the big dipper to head north..." Is it picky? or more appropriate to say "people who were enslaved?"

I dont like the fact that in many textbooks, children will see photos of black people from the late 19th century and then see the word "slave" and those two things will be linked! I would rather have the children think of them as "enslaved people" but not "slaves." I worry kids and others will forget to or stop thinking of them as people.

is this too picky? am i the only person that worries about stuff like this?

:eyebrow:

Elizabeth You apparently are Screaming for Guidance.. And as Resident Merlin in this forum I reference you to the 'Please Bathe Yourself in My DoucheTastic Poetry' Thread about a third of the way down the page.. Skip to the last page or so and read the relevant Post about Sensitivity and Political Correctness and how it is ruining our Society (Or at least making us all more full of shit).

Don't be fooled.. Things are Black and White.

I'm surprised NPR was the culprit of the Crime in Question.

L.Unplugged

word choice is something i am extremely conscious of. regardless of if others are also conscious of it, they are understanding the unsaid connotations with the words i choose and i believe in order to be clear and to convey my intended meaning without misconception.

conscientious word choice is not being too picky, but you have to pick and choose your battles with others' word choice.

elizabeth said:
i thought this issue was more interesting that others seem to think...

come on!!!

somebody debate me!!!

I've referenced you to My DoucheTastic Poetry thread.. In fact I've been here just waiting for the free time I've got to start a 'Profiling' thread lately, but seriously, I think this aura of Sensitivity and the 'Let's not Offend' attitude is truly ruining our society.. Do you TRULY think the word 'Slave' is offending?.. That's what they were.. Horrible as it is.. Describing them by an adjective as 'Enslaved Individuals'.. makes no difference.. It's not like we're sitting here calling them Leashed Monkeys.. Please Elizabeth.. You would be well to join the corporate world as they will Eat all this Shit that you tell us Up like rabid dogs..

And to reference your 'They Are Poor' statement.. I'd much rather hear that than 'They are Individuals of Male and Female Gender who have gloriously traversed the glossy Atlantic to join our Melting pot of a society who are Prominent in the diminished Funds Societal Club'.. It gets to a point where it's insulting to the individual.. I mean come on.. Let's take another.. Administrative Assistant.. Geezus.. what's wrong with Secretary?.. So I assume that you've never called described a family as 'They Are Rich'..

L.Unplugged

:up: Lemonite!

Today on Kilroy I heard that bouncers are no longer called bouncers but "door supervisors".

Back
Top Bottom