pharmacist refuses to give "the morning after" pill - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2004, 02:56 AM   #1
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 02:02 AM
pharmacist refuses to give "the morning after" pill

this makes me mad that a pharmacist would do such a thing and refuse a doctor's written prescription. while i share the pharmacists views on being 'pro-life' that's not what this is about.

it's about his duty as a pharmacist filling a prescription. while i'm not sure how i feel about the 'morning after' pill as a form of contraceptive birth control, i think in this case it's different as the woman had been a victim of rape. if he felt he couldn't give out the drug to the woman, at least he could have gotten someone else to do it. or perhaps he shouldn't work in a pharmacy knowing those drugs are there, and may actually be prescribed.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....79625125.html

Quote:
Pharmacy's refusal to fill prescription protested

10:35 PM CST on Monday, February 2, 2004

By BRAD HAWKINS / WFAA-TV

Protestors said a Denton pharmacist crossed a line when he refused to fill a prescription based on his own personal beliefs.

The pharmacist, who worked at an Eckerd drugstore on University Drive, withheld a so-called "morning after" pill from a rape victim. M ore than two dozen protesters spent time out in front of the store Monday, expressing their displeasure with the decision.

"Pharmacists aren't supposed to play God," said protester Gloria Benavides. "If you need the medicine, they should give it to you."

The State Board of Pharmacy in Austin said pharmacists can refuse to fill a prescription but only on medical grounds, not over moral concerns. This woman's rape was medically confirmed by a doctor, who prescribed the pill.

It wasn't the victim's first stop; several other drugstores in town don't stock the drug. She eventually had the prescription filled across the street at a Walgreen's, but only after waiting 20 minutes at Eckerd.

A friend said the pharmacist told the woman that "this medication is designed to end life, and I cannot abide by that."

"After being raped and assaulted, to come into a pharmacy to get a prescription that is stocked there - an FDA-approved drug - and to be shut down, that's a second assault," said protester Stephanie Besier.

"To be faced with a pharmacist who moralizes to her, we find outrageous," said Kathryn Allen of Planned Parenthood of Texas. "This is not a chemical abortion; this is a large dose of birth control pills to prevent an unwanted pregnancy."

A spokeswoman for Florida-based Eckerd would not get specific in this case, but did say it had been reviewed and addressed. The chain's policy states it would not support any pharmacist's right to refuse to fill a prescription based on political, moral or religious convictions.

Still, some gathered Monday said they plan to take their business elsewhere.

"I pulled all my prescriptions from here, and will no longer use Eckerd," Besier said.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:02 AM
This pharmacist has just paved the way for one more abortion. I hope he and all his pro-life friends are happy.

I also hope he faces some legal action.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 AM
This burns me up. You're right, pax, this is *asking* for abortion. He's supposed to fill a prescription. Damn.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Uhh. Nevermind.

Leave this to the licensing board. If this is improper behavior, the pharmacist will lose his/her license and be out of work.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
This pharmacist has just paved the way for one more abortion. I hope he and all his pro-life friends are happy.

Considering the fact that he views the 'morning after' pill as abortion, I doubt it makes a difference. Just that he'd be the 'abortionist' in one situation.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
War Child

WRONG

This guy's job is to fill legal prescriptions, his personal beliefs should have absolutely no bearing on the matter. He should lose his license.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
That's really sick. I thought the morning-after pill was a standard proceedure after the rape kit, what right does he have to say it's wrong? NO RIGHT! Now I am pro-life, but when it's a rape case, come on! Of course he's a guy so luckily he'll never know what it's like to be raped and then judged like that...he should definitely loose his license.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Well firstly I'd like to ask him a few questions about his opinions on supplying other forms of contraception. Presumably he has some medical knowledge considering he qualified as a pharmacist, so I'm sure he'd be able to answer.

1) Does he accept that emergency contraception works in several ways to prevent pregnancy: it prevents ovulation, prevents sperm entering the uterus so making fertilisation less likely and alters the lining of the uterus meaning that it is less likely that a fertilised egg will implant.

2) Does he accept that most contraceptive pills work in the same way (except for progestogen-only pills)?

3) Does the pharmacist base his objection to emergency contraception on the belief that if the medication prevents a fertilised egg from implanting in the uterus then it has "ended life."?

4) If the answer to the above question is yes, does he therefore refuse to supply contraceptive pills on the basis that one of the ways in which they prevent pregnancy is to prevent a fertilised egg from implanting?

I'd hate to have to call him a hypocrite.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
"Pharmacists aren't supposed to play God," said protester Gloria Benavides. "If you need the medicine, they should give it to you."
but wouldn't reversing something that... never mind...

so someone standing up for what they believe in is only a good thing when you, too, believe in it... i see.

that said... if the guy is so strong in his belief that the morning after pill is wrong, he shouldn't work in a phramacy that carries it. go work for one of those stores mentioned that doesn't carry it.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

that said... if the guy is so strong in his belief that the morning after pill is wrong, he shouldn't work in a phramacy that carries it. go work for one of those stores mentioned that doesn't carry it.
I think we'd all agree that would be the truly ethical thing for him to do, but what are women supposed to do when they've been RAPED and they cannot get a legally prescribed presciption? Is it really ethical to require a woman in such a situation to go out of her way for a legally prescribed prescription? It's not unthinkable that this woman might have to go five or ten miles out of her way, or possibly more; don't forget the statistic that millions of women in the United States live more than fifty miles from a women's health care facility (and this is NOT just abortions--this includes contraceptives, other family planning advice, and even routine examinations).

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:02 AM
I think it is APPALLING. She was RAPED for God's sake. RAPED!!. Doors should fling wide open to help a woman who has been raped instead of slammed in her face. Who knows the horrors she endured being RAPED This makes me absolutely sick--that a woman's LEGAL rights and well-being were completely ignored. The doctor is 'lucky' she didn't kill herself because of his misguided 'principles.'
Old 02-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

We're becoming more like Iran every day.

Melon
Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I think it is APPALLING. She was RAPED for God's sake. RAPED!!. Doors should fling wide open to help a woman who has been raped instead of slammed in her face. Who knows the horrors she endured being RAPED This makes me absolutely sick--that a woman's LEGAL rights and well-being were completely ignored. The doctor is 'lucky' she didn't kill herself because of his misguided 'principles.'

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:05 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

so someone standing up for what they believe in is only a good thing when you, too, believe in it... i see.
No. Somebody standing up for what they believe at the expense of a woman who had just had one of the most horrifying experiences imaginable isn't a good thing though. If this pharmacist wants to spend his weekends picketing family planning clinics or donate 10% of his salary to pro-life causes, that's his prerogative. He does not, however, have the right to deny a woman access to a medication prescribed by her doctor based on nothing more than his own personal beliefs.

What's next? Pharmacists refusing to dispense pre-natal vitamins to a woman because she's having a baby outside of marriage and in their opinion that's wrong?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
ITA.

Absolutely heinous on his part.

He should lose his license and never be allowed to work as a pharmacist again. It is not enough to have him work in a pharmacy that doesn't carry the morning after pill. Who knows what other beliefs he holds that are not in the best interest of the patient as determined by his or her doctor.

It's absolutely disgusting.