Peter Garrett Elected to the House of Representatives...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I just thought that you might all like to know that Peter Garrett is now an Australian politician.

On saturday Australians had a federal election, which is the election where we vote for a new Prime Minister and federal (national) members to represent our area or 'electorate'. The party which ends up with the most 'seats' or members elected, ends up winning and able to rule the country. We also get to elect people to the senate in a federal election. It was a very sad result IMHO as the conservative 'Liberal' party was re-elected, so we have another three years of conservative politics in Australia led by John Howard. Some of the only good things to come out of the election were that my party, The Australian Greens recorded an overall record result, scoring around 8% of the overall vote, which is very good for a small party that has limited funds to spend on advertising and campaigning and we look like getting two more senators in the senate. Add to this Peter Garrett being easily elected to his seat in New South Wales, even though he is representing the Australian Labor Party (the 'democrats' of Aussie politics) he is sure to bring a good environmental and social justice focus to the house of reps....

more....
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/10/1097346690691.html?oneclick=true

This was a great election result (except for Family First) - the best part is that the senate is now usefull. Bye, bye democrats - hello full sale of telstra :up:

I didn't hear her on triple J, but that party really gets on my nerves (especially when one of their candidates answered that they would be ok with burning lesbians at the stake); I have friends who were normal balanced people who were lured to these damn pentacostal/evangelical/modern churches and turned into Jesus freaks (and I do mean it - no offence to Christians). I made my problems with this party clear in the other thread.

well i wasnt very impressed with her. she was very typically politicianesque in her responses, but she did almost say she has no problem with same sex marriages. the whole topic bothered her really, it was plainly obvious. i liked the questions the triple jk guy asked her, but they were hardly cutting, and she stumbled a lot.

i really dont like bigots.

Back
Top Bottom