Peter Garett to run for the Labor Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Apparently the Labor Party want him to run in some safe Sydney seat, the one that has just been given up by Laurie Brerton (Sp?)

So what do you rekon? I'm in two minds, I think that it is good that the party wants to change its perception and having someone like Garett could just do that, personally it would appeal to me, being a 'tree hugger' and all or rather I would have a little more respect for the Labor party. However the thing that irks me is that it just seems a little too obvious, but then again I give Latham credit for actually visiting the Styx Valley in Tasmania and looking at the other side of the picture (something which Howard is yet to do). So I guess I think that it is good that the other major political party in Australia is making a strong commitment to the environment and as much as I hate to admit it, given that I am a Greens voter, but really, if one wants to make it in politics, I guess one has to play with the 'big boys'......

I dont know either. I dont usually vote Labor or Liberal. He would be an asset though.

I think they need to chuck out a few more Labor pollies before I would vote for them.

I think that its a great idea, if Latham puts Garett up he will be able to annoy a few supporters, piss of the forestry unions and the greens, bring him into the fold Mark.

I want to know what Peter Garrett's role is in all this.

I think Labor is a bit compromised for a man of his history, but I am hesitant to say much at this point. I understand the local branch in question are very unhappy, but it's not necessarily Peter Garrett's fault (yet) that someone in head office is putting his name up. I'm not sure what his role is in all this, and I suspect it's entirely passive (ie. the ALP wants him a la Cheryl Kernot).

Be careful, Peter.

Bob Carr (who is a closet hippy) must be a fan of this. I'm curious about Garrett's opinion on it all. You can't take the Green out of the man.

hey mates,

I was just wondering a few days back as I was playing [tape] of [title I think]..."Screaming Blue -Live" and wondering what PG was up to {reccently} since he left The 'Oils.

BTW if any of you are MO fans, have they put out a sans-PG album yet & how does it sound?

I don't have a computer and the particular net-cafe I ususally go to doesn't aways have the most updated software to hear files on the web. :shrug:

It'd hard to catch them on the radio here, either, unless I just happen to be able to get a college station, and maybe I might hear them on a rare occasion.

"sometimes you're beaten to the top, sometimes
Sometimes you're taken to the wall,
but you don't give in....no no no"

{btw I'm a NYC'er & the first time I ever saw the Oils live was at the biggest anti-nuclear war/bombs rally ever in the USA [750,000 -I Mil] ?82 ish?}

Last edited:
It's an interesting move. I'm worried about it turning into a Cheryl Kernot-situation though. She stood in my safe Federal Labor seat and was elected the first time, but the second time (after the scandal with Gareth Evans) was beaten by the Liberal Peter Dutton who I am not really a fan of. I voted for Cheryl but I didn't really like her either, partly because of her easy entry into the Labor party.

I'd vote for Peter Garrett if he was standing in my seat, because I'm a Labor voter. I don't doubt that he's committed and I've suspected that he would become involved in politics ... just not this way.

I'm concerned because it's just the kind of thing the Libs would use to pressure Labor come Federal election time, and that could sway some of the more conservative Labor voters who mightn't approve of a rock star being their local member.

Course you're being sarcastic! We're on our way to being like America and having entertainers/garden variety celebrities in parliament.
Seriously, I'd love to know what either Mr Garrett or the Labor party in general feel they have in common, apart from a mutual dislike of our troops in Iraq.

Re: Bob, I was only half serious K. He is as schizophrenic on the environment as the next. He is happy to ban all jet skiis, push tolls and things to reduce the number of cars on the roads in the name of pollution etc, yet is happy to watch 3000+ Kangaroos get humanely culled (read a mass slaughtering of 1000 at a time) and displace miscellaneous other natives like a few Koalas and things - for yes, housing. Bless Lend Lease and Bob Carr.
/sarcasm

I gotta say that after having a bit of a discussion with some of my friends who I went to uni with last night (after all three of us worked at the local Sunshine Coast World Environment Day annual celebrations) I am inclined to think that having Garrett run in the labor party is a good thing. Imagine Garett for PM- hell yeah! then I would vote Labor. Seriously I think that it will be great as he will be a strong voice on the environment and as far as I am concerned that is a good thing, Australians in general need to wake up and realise that environmental education that leads to changes in our lifestyle is an imperative action that needs to take place immediately. One thing that really stuck with me when I did my environmental major at uni, was when our lecturer told us that in order to be pro-active and make important changes in the environment, was to become a policy maker, so I guess I like the fact tha Garett is maybe going to be up there making and informing on some policies- it is at least a step in the right direction.

And who says that one must have a certain background to be a politician, I think that it is great that there might be someone who actually represents things that I strongly believe in, in one of the major parties. For too long the Liberal party have represented the higher/conservative rung of society and in the past the Labor party have been working class etc, so now I do think that it is great that the environment is getting a fair chance. I will still not sway from being a Greens voter, however I like the idea that the Labor party are taking the balls to adress environmental issues and I despise the Libs and all their conservative wanker pollies for questioning their motives- who gives a shit about motives- any talk and highlighting of issues that pertain to the environment is good in my opinion....

oh and on a side note, did anyone else hear on the breakfast show on JJJ last week the radio interview that they got of Howard where he was being asked by I think a radio national host what his favourite Midnight Oil song was and the PM replied with 'Beds are burning'- how ironic, the man cant say sorry, but 'likes' beds are burning- what a wanker:madspit:

Well he also likes Bob Dylan 'for the music' so no surprises there I guess.

Anyway I'll wait and see on Peter Garrett. It's not quite in the same basket as Arnold Schwartznegger running for governor. Love him or hate him, Garrett has been political for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom