Peta Kills Animals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsforu2

Refugee
Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogir
Well this is ironic. Not sure if PETA runs all of it's shelters this way, but this one in Norfolk, VA has some serious problems. I thought they were supposed to love animals. :scratch:

PETA Employees Face 31 Felony Animal-Cruelty Charges for Killing, Dumping Dogs

Center For Consumer Freedom Has Warned “Ethical Treatment Of Animals” Workers Routinely Kill Animals

Ahoskie, NC – Last night, one month after the launch of www.PetaKillsAnimals.com, two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) were arrested on 31 felony animal-cruelty charges for killing and disposing of dogs and puppies in a dumpster. Today the Center for Consumer Freedom is calling on Americans to stop making donations to support PETA and its grim-reaper program.

When Ahoskie police arrested PETA employees Andrew Cook and Adria Hinkle last night, they found 18 dead dogs in a nearby shopping-center dumpster (including a bag containing seven dead puppies), and 13 more dead dogs in the PETA-owned van the two were driving. Police observed them throwing several dark-colored bags into the dumpster before the arrests were made.... Follow the link to finish the article http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/109

As a joke, my friend signed me up for the PETA newsletter.

That didn't bother me.

It was the other newsletter he signed me up for that ticked me off:

NOW

Way to live up to PETA's belief system, morons. I hope those people get a sound punishment for their actions.

That said, thankfully, there's still many people in that organization that would never dream of doing that. My problem with PETA certainly isn't their love for animals-I have much love for them, too. It's the extreme tactics they sometimes tend to use, and the fact that some of them act like I'm some sort of criminal because I dare to eat meat.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

That said, thankfully, there's still many people in that organization that would never dream of doing that. My problem with PETA certainly isn't their love for animals-I have much love for them, too. It's the extreme tactics they sometimes tend to use, and the fact that some of them act like I'm some sort of criminal because I dare to eat meat.

I've always been disappointed that they don't have a real viable plan of action. They have these extreme tactics, but they don't do anything but shock and horrify people. I watched one of their fur videos once and it was the worst thing I've ever seen--but there was nothing I could do about it. :( It seems like they waste an incredible amount of resources they could put towards rescuing animals from fur farms or something.

I did like when they went after J.Lo and her fur fashion line, not that she bothered to listen. :down:

This article is even more depressing. Exactly WHERE does that $29 million go? To pay Pamela Anderson??

If only there were such organizations for the ethical treatment of human beings. :tsk: PETA disturbes me on so many levels.

80sU2isBest said:
As a joke, my friend signed me up for the PETA newsletter.

That didn't bother me.

It was the other newsletter he signed me up for that ticked me off:

NOW

That's hilarious :giggle:

I'd like to know what the figures on the petakills look like compared to other kill shelters in Va.
(a comparison made to the Norfolk SPCA is moot as they are a no-kill shelter anyway)
But I have no idea how to go about getting these figures... :hmm:

No kill shelters and santuaries that don't kill have totally different regulations, and honestly the figures from ANY shelter that puts animals to sleep is crazy, it is usually really high.
My experience while in Va. - most ppl that had healthy animals did take them to no-kill places, and the shelters were used as stray drop offs, or pets that were old and sick and that is why so many were put to sleep.

Now as to why PETA wouldn't open up a no-kill sanctuary, and how much actual involvment they have in the shelters, I have no idea. I didn't even know they ran an animal shelter, and find it a little odd that they do :scratch:

I frickin hate PETA they are so extreme.

Whats the deal with them comparing chikens to holocaust victims.

PETA should die

I cant stand reading crap like this. Animals cannot speak nor defend themselves. Yet they still have feelings and thoughts. They still feel pain and terror. They are helpless... and when they are treated like shit I would like to do to the humans exactly what they do to the animals. :madspit:

PETA are freaks. They also have the worst and least affective advertising campaign I've ever seen. All it does is scare people off.

My friend is a security guard on a college campus and he's had to deal with PETA members trying to set fire to the science lab because they had rats and hamsters. Bwahahaha... morons...

shart1780 said:

My friend is a security guard on a college campus and he's had to deal with PETA members trying to set fire to the science lab because they had rats and hamsters. Bwahahaha... morons...

I get shit from some people when they found out I adopted Beckham, my first kitten, from the lab at school. They think he's been abused and exploited but what they DONT know is that apparently unlike PETA, the West Michigan Regional Lab has NEVER had a cat die or become seriously injured during their proceedures and has NEVER had to put a cat down b/c it wasn't adopted on schedule. All they do at the lab is take in overflow cats/kittens from local shelters and use them in a class to teach intubation of a baby. So the cat is asleep and a tube is gently inserted down it's throat (as it would be to a human baby). Then, when the demonstration is over, before the cat wakes up, the cat is spayed or neutered. The cats are kept together for socialization in sterile environments and recieve all the usual tests, de-worming, and vaccinations before they are adopted out, free of charge.

I work in a lab, and yes, we do work on animals, and there are great precautions to keep the animal facilities secret and so on, because every once in a while some nutjob from PETA decides it's morally acceptable to want to blow us to smitherines.

anitram said:
I work in a lab, and yes, we do work on animals, and there are great precautions to keep the animal facilities secret and so on, because every once in a while some nutjob from PETA decides it's morally acceptable to want to blow us to smitherines.

You work in a lab!?!!? That's what I'm hoping to eventually do. What did you major in? I'm trying to figure out if I should major in chemistry or biology. Is the pay decent?

briarrose said:

You work in a lab!?!!? That's what I'm hoping to eventually do. What did you major in? I'm trying to figure out if I should major in chemistry or biology. Is the pay decent?

Yes, I work in the research institute of one of the top ranked (3rd) pediatric hospitals in the world. I have a specialization in Immunology and work in an Immunology lab, where we concentrate mainly on cancer biology (leukemias, lung, breast) and autoimmunity. I don't know what you consider to be "decent" pay, but there are payscales based on your educational experience and seniority. You will make more money in the private sector (ie. pharmaceutical industry) than public because you are not reliant on grants for salary.

anitram said:

Yes, I work in the research institute of one of the top ranked (3rd) pediatric hospitals in the world. I have a specialization in Immunology and work in an Immunology lab, where we concentrate mainly on cancer biology (leukemias, lung, breast) and autoimmunity. I don't know what you consider to be "decent" pay, but there are payscales based on your educational experience and seniority. You will make more money in the private sector (ie. pharmaceutical industry) than public because you are not reliant on grants for salary.

That's so great! Do you have a Master's degree or PhD? I'd like to get into the pharmaceutical industry.

AvsGirl41 said:

I've always been disappointed that they don't have a real viable plan of action. They have these extreme tactics, but they don't do anything but shock and horrify people. I watched one of their fur videos once and it was the worst thing I've ever seen--but there was nothing I could do about it. :( It seems like they waste an incredible amount of resources they could put towards rescuing animals from fur farms or something.

I did like when they went after J.Lo and her fur fashion line, not that she bothered to listen. :down:

This article is even more depressing. Exactly WHERE does that $29 million go? To pay Pamela Anderson??

There IS something you can do. You can stop buying fur. If you don't buy fur, then you can try to spread the message and it probably will cause others to stop buying fur. Research shows that sales of fur have declined significantly since the 70's and 80's.

Yes, they do have a viable plan of action. They don't just tell you to boycott meat. If you become a member of PETA, they give you vegetarian/vegan meal plans.

If you go to the PETA website, you will find information as to where donation money goes, I don't think it goes to Pam, she is very serious about her views on animal cruelty.

I agree with you, those articles and videos are depressing. But they are effective ways of getting people's attention. The actions that you see on the videos speak much more louder then simply words such as "stop animal cruelty."

There was a PETA thread a couple of weeks ago and it was closed because people got out of control. So I just want to say, please don't take this post personally. :)

Last edited:
thetitans2k said:
I frickin hate PETA they are so extreme.

Whats the deal with them comparing chikens to holocaust victims.

PETA should die

Just because chickens are small and not as intelligent as humans doesn't mean that they don't feel pain, suffering, etc.

Sicy said:
I cant stand reading crap like this. Animals cannot speak nor defend themselves. Yet they still have feelings and thoughts. They still feel pain and terror. They are helpless... and when they are treated like shit I would like to do to the humans exactly what they do to the animals. :madspit:

:yes: :bow: :applaud:

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Poor puppies :sad:

I totally agree with you.

I'm not directing this towards you, but what I don't undertand is that people think that it is perfectlly acceptable to do things to chicken that would be completely illegal to do to dogs or cats. I see that a lot of people think that cruelty towards humans is completely unacceptable wheareas cruelty towards chickens, etc. is okay. But then there are some people that think that only cruelty towards housepets is classified as animal cruelty. :huh:

The only thing I wish to do with animals is use them for food purposes. Other animals have eaten humans before, and we eat other animals, it's all part of the food chain (but I have no qualms with people being vegetarians if that's what works for them).

But I do not agree at all with abusing animals, or using them for bear rugs or putting their heads on a wall or things like that. That's just stupid and cruel, in my opinion.

I do kill spiders, though, so perhaps I'm being a bit hypocritical there...hmmm...

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
The only thing I wish to do with animals is use them for food purposes. Other animals have eaten humans before, and we eat other animals, it's all part of the food chain (but I have no qualms with people being vegetarians if that's what works for them).

But I do not agree at all with abusing animals, or using them for bear rugs or putting their heads on a wall or things like that. That's just stupid and cruel, in my opinion.

I do kill spiders, though, so perhaps I'm being a bit hypocritical there...hmmm...

Angela

You're right, animals have eaten humans, and animals do eat other animals. But animals don't know any better, there is no way to get them to become vegetarians. In certain cases, it is actually good that animals eat other animals. If there were no animals available for carnivores to eat, then the carnivores themselves would die. And it wouldn't do too good to the herbivores either, because then there would be an overpopulation of herbivores and many would die. So some animals need to eat meat and they don't know any better anyway. Humans on the other hand can survive on a vegetarian diet because they are omnivores.

Oh yea and about killing spiders and other bugs...if I see a bug in my house, I just take it with a tissue and put it outside. :)

it is hard to take them seriously

Aquarium Shouldn't Serve Fish, PETA Says

The animal rights group asks the Long Beach attraction to get seafood off its menu.
By Amanda Covarrubias
Times Staff Writer

June 28, 2005

An animal rights group wants the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach to gut its cafeteria menu of fish and seafood, arguing that "serving fish at an aquarium is like serving poodle burgers at a dog show."

Like Lilo in the animated "Lilo and Stitch," who refused to make a tuna sandwich for her friend, Pudge, a fish, because it would be "an abomination," the head of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said serving fish at an aquarium just isn't right. "An institution with a mission that includes teaching people to respect and appreciate marine animals certainly shouldn't serve fish in its cafeteria," Karin Robertson wrote last week in a letter to Jerry Schabel, the aquarium's chairman and chief executive.

Robertson, who runs a website called fishinghurts.com, said recent studies have showed that fish are "intelligent, sensitive and interesting animals."

"Fish are far more intelligent than previously thought, and in some respects their cognitive abilities surpass those of dogs and some nonhuman primates," she wrote to Schabel. "The treatment of both commercially caught fish and fish from fish farms would warrant cruelty-to-animals charges in your state if animals we are more familiar with, like dogs and cats, were treated as badly."

Aquarium officials say they won't ban from their kitchens sustainable seafood, such as tilapia, farmed clams and wild-caught Alaskan salmon, that can be replenished through such means as fish farms. The facility said it co-sponsors a Seafood Watch program with the Monterey Bay Aquarium designed to educate the public about the types of fish that are safe to eat and those to avoid because they are endangered or are caught using methods harmful to other sea creatures.

"Like PETA, we are committed to animals and their conservation, and we appreciate that commitment," Schabel said in a statement Monday. She said some people coming to the aquarium "may want to eat seafood. Rather than eat seafood from unsustainable sources, we stand committed to offering them the alternative of eating only sustainable or environmentally friendly seafood."

The 1.25 million people who visit the aquarium each year can choose from an array of seafood dishes, including clam chowder, rainbow trout and catfish, as well as tilapia and salmon, said spokeswoman Marilyn Padilla.

Despite the aquarium's denying her request, Robertson said she will send letters to other aquariums around the country to point out what she calls the hypocrisy of their menus.

"They should be serving exclusively vegetarian food, not just for the health of their patrons but for the animals they contend to be supporting," she said Monday. "They don't sell elephant burgers at the zoo, and they shouldn't be selling fish at aquariums."

Back
Top Bottom