Peta Kills Animals? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

My friend is a security guard on a college campus and he's had to deal with PETA members trying to set fire to the science lab because they had rats and hamsters. Bwahahaha... morons...
I get shit from some people when they found out I adopted Beckham, my first kitten, from the lab at school. They think he's been abused and exploited but what they DONT know is that apparently unlike PETA, the West Michigan Regional Lab has NEVER had a cat die or become seriously injured during their proceedures and has NEVER had to put a cat down b/c it wasn't adopted on schedule. All they do at the lab is take in overflow cats/kittens from local shelters and use them in a class to teach intubation of a baby. So the cat is asleep and a tube is gently inserted down it's throat (as it would be to a human baby). Then, when the demonstration is over, before the cat wakes up, the cat is spayed or neutered. The cats are kept together for socialization in sterile environments and recieve all the usual tests, de-worming, and vaccinations before they are adopted out, free of charge.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I work in a lab, and yes, we do work on animals, and there are great precautions to keep the animal facilities secret and so on, because every once in a while some nutjob from PETA decides it's morally acceptable to want to blow us to smitherines.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:20 PM
That's scary. Seriously, think about it for a second, people...what good will blowing up a building do (not to mention, the animals inside would be killed, which would kinda defeat those people's purpose-duh)?

Angela
Old 06-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:20 PM
PETA people are nuts and not too intelligent, it's simple!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I work in a lab, and yes, we do work on animals, and there are great precautions to keep the animal facilities secret and so on, because every once in a while some nutjob from PETA decides it's morally acceptable to want to blow us to smitherines.
You work in a lab!?!!? That's what I'm hoping to eventually do. What did you major in? I'm trying to figure out if I should major in chemistry or biology. Is the pay decent?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by briarrose

You work in a lab!?!!? That's what I'm hoping to eventually do. What did you major in? I'm trying to figure out if I should major in chemistry or biology. Is the pay decent?
Yes, I work in the research institute of one of the top ranked (3rd) pediatric hospitals in the world. I have a specialization in Immunology and work in an Immunology lab, where we concentrate mainly on cancer biology (leukemias, lung, breast) and autoimmunity. I don't know what you consider to be "decent" pay, but there are payscales based on your educational experience and seniority. You will make more money in the private sector (ie. pharmaceutical industry) than public because you are not reliant on grants for salary.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Yes, I work in the research institute of one of the top ranked (3rd) pediatric hospitals in the world. I have a specialization in Immunology and work in an Immunology lab, where we concentrate mainly on cancer biology (leukemias, lung, breast) and autoimmunity. I don't know what you consider to be "decent" pay, but there are payscales based on your educational experience and seniority. You will make more money in the private sector (ie. pharmaceutical industry) than public because you are not reliant on grants for salary.
That's so great! Do you have a Master's degree or PhD? I'd like to get into the pharmaceutical industry.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

I've always been disappointed that they don't have a real viable plan of action. They have these extreme tactics, but they don't do anything but shock and horrify people. I watched one of their fur videos once and it was the worst thing I've ever seen--but there was nothing I could do about it. It seems like they waste an incredible amount of resources they could put towards rescuing animals from fur farms or something.

I did like when they went after J.Lo and her fur fashion line, not that she bothered to listen.

This article is even more depressing. Exactly WHERE does that $29 million go? To pay Pamela Anderson??
There IS something you can do. You can stop buying fur. If you don't buy fur, then you can try to spread the message and it probably will cause others to stop buying fur. Research shows that sales of fur have declined significantly since the 70's and 80's.

Yes, they do have a viable plan of action. They don't just tell you to boycott meat. If you become a member of PETA, they give you vegetarian/vegan meal plans.

If you go to the PETA website, you will find information as to where donation money goes, I don't think it goes to Pam, she is very serious about her views on animal cruelty.

I agree with you, those articles and videos are depressing. But they are effective ways of getting people's attention. The actions that you see on the videos speak much more louder then simply words such as "stop animal cruelty."

There was a PETA thread a couple of weeks ago and it was closed because people got out of control. So I just want to say, please don't take this post personally.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:06 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k
I frickin hate PETA they are so extreme.

Whats the deal with them comparing chikens to holocaust victims.

PETA should die
Just because chickens are small and not as intelligent as humans doesn't mean that they don't feel pain, suffering, etc.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I cant stand reading crap like this. Animals cannot speak nor defend themselves. Yet they still have feelings and thoughts. They still feel pain and terror. They are helpless... and when they are treated like shit I would like to do to the humans exactly what they do to the animals.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Poor puppies
I totally agree with you.

I'm not directing this towards you, but what I don't undertand is that people think that it is perfectlly acceptable to do things to chicken that would be completely illegal to do to dogs or cats. I see that a lot of people think that cruelty towards humans is completely unacceptable wheareas cruelty towards chickens, etc. is okay. But then there are some people that think that only cruelty towards housepets is classified as animal cruelty.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:20 PM
The only thing I wish to do with animals is use them for food purposes. Other animals have eaten humans before, and we eat other animals, it's all part of the food chain (but I have no qualms with people being vegetarians if that's what works for them).

But I do not agree at all with abusing animals, or using them for bear rugs or putting their heads on a wall or things like that. That's just stupid and cruel, in my opinion.

I do kill spiders, though, so perhaps I'm being a bit hypocritical there...hmmm...

Angela
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
The only thing I wish to do with animals is use them for food purposes. Other animals have eaten humans before, and we eat other animals, it's all part of the food chain (but I have no qualms with people being vegetarians if that's what works for them).

But I do not agree at all with abusing animals, or using them for bear rugs or putting their heads on a wall or things like that. That's just stupid and cruel, in my opinion.

I do kill spiders, though, so perhaps I'm being a bit hypocritical there...hmmm...

Angela
You're right, animals have eaten humans, and animals do eat other animals. But animals don't know any better, there is no way to get them to become vegetarians. In certain cases, it is actually good that animals eat other animals. If there were no animals available for carnivores to eat, then the carnivores themselves would die. And it wouldn't do too good to the herbivores either, because then there would be an overpopulation of herbivores and many would die. So some animals need to eat meat and they don't know any better anyway. Humans on the other hand can survive on a vegetarian diet because they are omnivores.

Oh yea and about killing spiders and other bugs...if I see a bug in my house, I just take it with a tissue and put it outside.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 PM
it is hard to take them seriously

Quote:
Aquarium Shouldn't Serve Fish, PETA Says

The animal rights group asks the Long Beach attraction to get seafood off its menu.
By Amanda Covarrubias
Times Staff Writer

June 28, 2005

An animal rights group wants the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach to gut its cafeteria menu of fish and seafood, arguing that "serving fish at an aquarium is like serving poodle burgers at a dog show."

Like Lilo in the animated "Lilo and Stitch," who refused to make a tuna sandwich for her friend, Pudge, a fish, because it would be "an abomination," the head of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said serving fish at an aquarium just isn't right. "An institution with a mission that includes teaching people to respect and appreciate marine animals certainly shouldn't serve fish in its cafeteria," Karin Robertson wrote last week in a letter to Jerry Schabel, the aquarium's chairman and chief executive.

Robertson, who runs a website called fishinghurts.com, said recent studies have showed that fish are "intelligent, sensitive and interesting animals."

"Fish are far more intelligent than previously thought, and in some respects their cognitive abilities surpass those of dogs and some nonhuman primates," she wrote to Schabel. "The treatment of both commercially caught fish and fish from fish farms would warrant cruelty-to-animals charges in your state if animals we are more familiar with, like dogs and cats, were treated as badly."

Aquarium officials say they won't ban from their kitchens sustainable seafood, such as tilapia, farmed clams and wild-caught Alaskan salmon, that can be replenished through such means as fish farms. The facility said it co-sponsors a Seafood Watch program with the Monterey Bay Aquarium designed to educate the public about the types of fish that are safe to eat and those to avoid because they are endangered or are caught using methods harmful to other sea creatures.

"Like PETA, we are committed to animals and their conservation, and we appreciate that commitment," Schabel said in a statement Monday. She said some people coming to the aquarium "may want to eat seafood. Rather than eat seafood from unsustainable sources, we stand committed to offering them the alternative of eating only sustainable or environmentally friendly seafood."

The 1.25 million people who visit the aquarium each year can choose from an array of seafood dishes, including clam chowder, rainbow trout and catfish, as well as tilapia and salmon, said spokeswoman Marilyn Padilla.

Despite the aquarium's denying her request, Robertson said she will send letters to other aquariums around the country to point out what she calls the hypocrisy of their menus.

"They should be serving exclusively vegetarian food, not just for the health of their patrons but for the animals they contend to be supporting," she said Monday. "They don't sell elephant burgers at the zoo, and they shouldn't be selling fish at aquariums."
Old 06-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

red meat