PETA comapres raising animals for food to the Holocaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
this is the single most outrageous piece of bullshit i have ever seen in my life...

CNN.com article

Group blasts PETA 'Holocaust' project
(CNN) -- The Anti-Defamation League has denounced a campaign by an animal rights group that compares slaughtering animals to the murder of 6 million Jews in World War II.

The graphic campaign and exhibit "Holocaust on Your Plate," devised by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, juxtaposes 60-square-foot panels displaying gruesome scenes from Nazi death camps side by side with disturbing photographs from factory farms and slaughterhouses. One shows a starving man in a concentration camp next to a starving cow.

The exhibit opens Friday in San Diego, California, and went up Thursday at the University of California at Los Angeles. It also is posted on a PETA Web site, www.masskilling.com, which calls for support for the campaign from the Jewish community.

The comparisons prompted an angry statement from Abraham Foxman, Anti-Defamation League national director and a Holocaust survivor.

"The effort by PETA to compare the deliberate, systematic murder of millions of Jews to the issue of animal rights is abhorrent," the statement said. "PETA's effort to seek approval for their 'Holocaust on Your Plate' campaign is outrageous, offensive and takes chutzpah to new heights."

Lisa Lange, PETA's vice president of communications, told CNN's "American Morning With Paula Zahn" on Friday that the idea for the public relations effort came from the late Nobel Prize-winning author Isaac Bashevis Singer, who, she said, wrote: "In relation to them [animals], all people are Nazis; for them it is an eternal Treblinka" -- a death camp in Poland.

Lange said the campaign is appropriate because "Nazi concentration camps were modeled after slaughterhouses."

The Singer quote, which the group draws upon in its literature as well, was not spoken directly by him but rather comes from his novel "Enemies: A Love Story," when the main character muses on the plight of animals. Singer was a vegetarian who believed strongly in animal rights.

"It's shocking, it's startling, it's very hard to look at," Lange said of the exhibit. "We're attacking the mind-set" that condones the slaughter of animals.

"The very same mind-set that made the Holocaust possible -- that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different or inferior' -- is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," PETA representative Mark Prescott wrote in a statement, which added that members of Prescott's family were murdered by Nazis.

The Anti-Defamation League statement, however, counters that "abusive treatment of animals should be opposed, but cannot and must not be compared to the Holocaust."

OMG, this is awful. This is outrageous and uncalled for. Can you say "food chain"??? While I certainly do not approve of abusive treatment of animals, I don't always support "animal rights" stuff. I certainly don't support this :censored:.

Last edited:
I think if you see these sort of things in their perspective (ie. the way they feel an animal should be treated), they have a point.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm... products made from a cow... arhghghghghghghhhghghehghgghgh (_8(|)

Steak.jpg

ribs.gif

They have no point... comparing chickens and cows raised on meat and poulltry farms is one of the most insensitive and disrespectful things you could possiably do. Yeah... let's ask people who survived the Holocaust how they feel about being compared to cows and chickens.

Last edited:
No they dont have a point. Sorry. Animals are not equal to humans. If they were they would be talking to us, driving cars or working. Animals that are bread for food have no other purpase, like cows, would there be cows around if we didnt eat them?

This is total shit. I am not a Jew or a holacost survior but i'd be pretty pissed if someone compared them. I know you arent really defending them Teeth but really if they do see it that way then they are totally screwed up.

i loathe peta. everytime i see one of those bastards on tv i want to put on my leather jacket and eat a steak.

their new campaign disgusts me. but then again most of their campaigns disgust me. they wrote arafat a few weeks ago because a damn goat was killed in a suicide bombing. they wanted him to be more careful of the animals in the area. assholes. lord knows the people who were killed don't matter.

words cannot express how much i truly despise them.

But organisations like PETA really believe humans and other animals are equal don't they? And why shouldn't they? What makes us so much better than animals, apart from the fact that we drive a car?

first i don't believe humans and animals are equal.

and peta seems, in many instances, to put the lives of animals above humans.

Perhaps these people believe in reincarnation, in which case they would believe that Animal X might have the soul of a former human being. Even so, reincarnation is not a teaching that animals are equal to humans and thus is not an excuse for this nonsense.

One difference between animals and humans is brain power. That is the ultimate difference. The only difference that matters. We are smarter. Much smarter. Just like a hawk is faster then a mouce or a bear is smarter then a fish. Does peta go out and stop animals from killing other animals? Does it stop bears from standing in streams and catching fish after fish? No.

Maybe the fact that we are (supposed to be) smarter is the reason organisations like PETA are coming down on us so much, since we should know better, while animals are just following their instincts. :shrug:

Anyway, I don't agree with the statement that our superior brainpower makes us 'better' than animals. Maybe if we did something usefull with it.

points at the state the world is in

I think this planet is better off without us :up:

some of peta's campaigns are dangerous and misleading - one that sticks in my mind is their anti-milk ads aimed at kids.

they make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims all of the time. and i dislike their rather militant tactics.

I hate PETA people with an intense and undying passion. We get them at rodeos all the time, from just protesting out front to feeding the stock (usually making them sick) to actually opening pens and "freeing" the animals. Yeah, because a goat is gonna survive real well in a desert full of coyotes.
The really sad thing is that there are so many people who join and suport PETA who have no idea of the awful things that organization does.

Screaming Flower said:
i loathe peta. everytime i see one of those bastards on tv i want to put on my leather jacket and eat a steak.

:up: I never cared much about buying/wearing a fur coat, but after hearing about this BS campaign of PETA's, I'll buy one now just to spite them!

Romfull10.gif

biwfd-4C1.gif

steaks.jpg

I agree with Dr. Teeth. Though I think PETA is overly militant a lot of the time, I think they're making their point well with this campaign. It's not like they're trying to sell Diet Coke or anything with these ads. They're MEANT to be shocking and to make people think.

I enjoy meat too much to actually listen to PETA. I bet over half of them have Vitamin B12 deficiencies, which have made them all a bit high strung.

Melon

First... Peta's Mission Statement:
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), with more than 750,000 members, is the largest animal rights organization in the world. Founded in 1980, PETA is dedicated to establishing and protecting the rights of all animals. PETA operates under the simple principle that animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment.

PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the fur trade, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds and other "pests," and the abuse of backyard dogs.

PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and direct action.

Now... I'm sure some of you know/have read my feelings about Nazis and the Holocaust..... and that is basically that I feel strongly that things should not be compared to such events.

Peta's Mission reads very righteously, and for the most part I even agree with it... even though I am currently a 'meat eater'. However, while this campaign is well thought out and even makes some valid comparisons, and accomplishes their usual goal of being shocking... they are also accomplishing their goal of getting these issues into the public eye, and getting people to think and talk about them. And... I actually applaud that. BUT, on the other hand, I have found this campaign to be completely disrespectful of the millions that died in the holocaust, their families, and human history in general. The holocaust is not something that should be just thrown around in an ad campaign. Not even the Holocaust Museum(s), and other related organizations, pull stunts like this. Which brings be to another hand (assume I have 3 for this conversation ;) ).... I LIKE the fact that they are piggie backing Holocaust awareness onto their own campaign.... perhaps a side affect... but there are still people in the world today that deny 12 MILLION people were ever killed and that the Holocaust ever happened, this puts it right in everyone's faces. It's a reminder.

The value of life, human or animal, should not be placed based on whether one can drive a car, or talk. I wouldn't kill my cats for fun, they are a part of my family, as are my 7 fish, and even the snails in the tank.

... yet I still eat meat. But would I if I had to go out and kill it myself? I dont think so. How about you?

I'm not a vegetarian, I'm not a member of PETA, but I am human, and I was born, eat, breathe, sleep, go to the bathroom, and will die.... just like EVERY OTHER person and animal on this planet.

Perhaps we're not equal in being 'exactly the same'.... but if you want to go that far... perhaps women are superior to men because they have the ability to give birth. Surely with science today, us guys could be rendered obsolete....

People and animals are all living creatures, and what PETA is attempting to point out is that they all deserve to have the same rights. Ethically, and morally, I can't argue with their mission statement.... and to say you're going to go buy/wear fur and eat meat just to spite PETA is pathetically immature and neanderthal like.

Like I said, I eat meat (...and thanks to my wonderful gf for still loving me even though I do), but I don't think it's right.

PS... Human slavery used to be widely accepted, as did racial segragation, lynching, etc. Being accepted in present times doesn't always mean it's 'OK'.

Screaming Flower said:
some of peta's campaigns are dangerous and misleading - one that sticks in my mind is their anti-milk ads aimed at kids.

they make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims all of the time. and i dislike their rather militant tactics.

:up:

Yeah, that anti-milk thing was idiotic.

And I have no respect for an organization that will destroy someone's personal property to make a statement. I don't particularly care for real fur but throwing red paint on someone's $3000 coat and breaking store windows because the retailer "dares" to sell fur is ridiculous to me.

I think many people join PETA not knowing just how militant they really are.

Now give me a steak...medium rare :D

I totally agree with Elvis, though I am a meat-eater, I do buy organic meat and try to buy animal products from humane reputable companies, even though the price is higher. I love animals and I just because an animal is not as intelligent as a human (I should qualify this by saying we measure intelligence based on the human mind) that doesn't mean they don't feel pain, loneliness, despair, etc. Many animals have qualities humans would love to possess eg. a shark's ability to sense the most minute electrical field emmitted by a fish, an electric eels defensive mechanisms or a spiders ability to spin a web which if taken to our own proporsions, would be one of the strongest yet most flexible materials on earth. So it really does depend on your perspective.
I don't agree with PETA using inflammatory tactics that are totally inappropriate and will not change people's opinions, if anything, it drives them away. I can see what they are trying to do, but they are doing it all the wrong way. As long as humans still treat other humans with complete inhumanity, there is no hope for our animal companions on this earth. We need to respect our own species before we can truly learn to respect all life.

I just want to say that I think fur coats for the most part represent a cruel industry that is by and large unnecessary. I don't liken it to rawhide, cause don't we eat the meat too? In that manner we aren't really killing something just for its pelt, if Im thinking correctly here.

Fur pelts on the other hand make us kill small animals just for their pelt. That's pretty disgusting to me.

And I do eat meat, I believe it to be my God-given right. To be honest tho I prefer more fish and seafood, I can only handle a slab of beef once in a while.

I don't believe that all of the ways in which we harvest meat are nice or completely ethical though, especially poultry farm-factories.

I grew up on a farm where all our livestock was free range, and the frequent trips to the butcher never really fazed me. I even held the chickens when my dad would chop off their heads. No big deal, they had a full life as far as chickens go.

(currently listening to Meat is Murder by The Smiths LOL)

Back
Top Bottom