PETA comapres raising animals for food to the Holocaust - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:11 PM
PETA comapres raising animals for food to the Holocaust

this is the single most outrageous piece of bullshit i have ever seen in my life...

CNN.com article

Group blasts PETA 'Holocaust' project
(CNN) -- The Anti-Defamation League has denounced a campaign by an animal rights group that compares slaughtering animals to the murder of 6 million Jews in World War II.

The graphic campaign and exhibit "Holocaust on Your Plate," devised by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, juxtaposes 60-square-foot panels displaying gruesome scenes from Nazi death camps side by side with disturbing photographs from factory farms and slaughterhouses. One shows a starving man in a concentration camp next to a starving cow.

The exhibit opens Friday in San Diego, California, and went up Thursday at the University of California at Los Angeles. It also is posted on a PETA Web site, www.masskilling.com, which calls for support for the campaign from the Jewish community.

The comparisons prompted an angry statement from Abraham Foxman, Anti-Defamation League national director and a Holocaust survivor.

"The effort by PETA to compare the deliberate, systematic murder of millions of Jews to the issue of animal rights is abhorrent," the statement said. "PETA's effort to seek approval for their 'Holocaust on Your Plate' campaign is outrageous, offensive and takes chutzpah to new heights."

Lisa Lange, PETA's vice president of communications, told CNN's "American Morning With Paula Zahn" on Friday that the idea for the public relations effort came from the late Nobel Prize-winning author Isaac Bashevis Singer, who, she said, wrote: "In relation to them [animals], all people are Nazis; for them it is an eternal Treblinka" -- a death camp in Poland.

Lange said the campaign is appropriate because "Nazi concentration camps were modeled after slaughterhouses."

The Singer quote, which the group draws upon in its literature as well, was not spoken directly by him but rather comes from his novel "Enemies: A Love Story," when the main character muses on the plight of animals. Singer was a vegetarian who believed strongly in animal rights.

"It's shocking, it's startling, it's very hard to look at," Lange said of the exhibit. "We're attacking the mind-set" that condones the slaughter of animals.

"The very same mind-set that made the Holocaust possible -- that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different or inferior' -- is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," PETA representative Mark Prescott wrote in a statement, which added that members of Prescott's family were murdered by Nazis.

The Anti-Defamation League statement, however, counters that "abusive treatment of animals should be opposed, but cannot and must not be compared to the Holocaust."

Old 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Where is my veal parmisian sub? Mmmmmm......

Old 03-04-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 PM
OMG, this is awful. This is outrageous and uncalled for. Can you say "food chain"??? While I certainly do not approve of abusive treatment of animals, I don't always support "animal rights" stuff. I certainly don't support this .
Old 03-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:11 PM
I think if you see these sort of things in their perspective (ie. the way they feel an animal should be treated), they have a point.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

mmmmmmmmmmmmm... products made from a cow... arhghghghghghghhhghghehghgghgh (_8(|)

They have no point... comparing chickens and cows raised on meat and poulltry farms is one of the most insensitive and disrespectful things you could possiably do. Yeah... let's ask people who survived the Holocaust how they feel about being compared to cows and chickens.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:11 AM
No they dont have a point. Sorry. Animals are not equal to humans. If they were they would be talking to us, driving cars or working. Animals that are bread for food have no other purpase, like cows, would there be cows around if we didnt eat them?

This is total shit. I am not a Jew or a holacost survior but i'd be pretty pissed if someone compared them. I know you arent really defending them Teeth but really if they do see it that way then they are totally screwed up.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

So Frank Purdue is akin to Adolf Hitler... riiiiiiiiiight
Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

i loathe peta. everytime i see one of those bastards on tv i want to put on my leather jacket and eat a steak.

their new campaign disgusts me. but then again most of their campaigns disgust me. they wrote arafat a few weeks ago because a damn goat was killed in a suicide bombing. they wanted him to be more careful of the animals in the area. assholes. lord knows the people who were killed don't matter.

words cannot express how much i truly despise them.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

But organisations like PETA really believe humans and other animals are equal don't they? And why shouldn't they? What makes us so much better than animals, apart from the fact that we drive a car?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

first i don't believe humans and animals are equal.

and peta seems, in many instances, to put the lives of animals above humans.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Perhaps these people believe in reincarnation, in which case they would believe that Animal X might have the soul of a former human being. Even so, reincarnation is not a teaching that animals are equal to humans and thus is not an excuse for this nonsense.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #12
Refugee

One difference between animals and humans is brain power. That is the ultimate difference. The only difference that matters. We are smarter. Much smarter. Just like a hawk is faster then a mouce or a bear is smarter then a fish. Does peta go out and stop animals from killing other animals? Does it stop bears from standing in streams and catching fish after fish? No.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Maybe the fact that we are (supposed to be) smarter is the reason organisations like PETA are coming down on us so much, since we should know better, while animals are just following their instincts.

Anyway, I don't agree with the statement that our superior brainpower makes us 'better' than animals. Maybe if we did something usefull with it.

points at the state the world is in

I think this planet is better off without us
Old 03-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #14
Refugee

I dont see where you ever got they i think we are better then anything. We are smarter.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ah I see, but that didn't answer my question.