Persepolis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have just finished reading Persepolis, a graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi. If you haven't read this and especially enjoy graphic novels, I highly recommend this one. (I agree with the comparisons with Maus, however I find Persepolis has light-hearted and enchanting moments, for we see war thru a little girl's eyes). It's a hysterically funny and devastatingly human memoir of Satrapi's life in Iran as a girl. Especially now that Iran is currently in the press, possibly targeted by the Bush admin, it was a good thing to read about the lives of ordinary Iranians during the reign of the Shah. The fear expressed in this memoir is palpable; I liken it to watching the film Imagining Argentina. However, the girl in Persepolis is so full of imagination and chutzpah that you cannot help but forget about the war with her when she is playing with her friends... and you cannot help smiling at her irrepressible idealism.

Personally, it made me nostalgic for my own childhood, growing up in a mostly Muslim country thinking that racial discrimination doesn't exist until reality kicks in later on. (In Persepolis, Marjane and her friends were educated in secular schools before the mullahs took over). Also, having to bear with totally absurd government interventions as a result of narrow interpretations of Islam.

The sequel - Persepolis 2 - is out in stores now.

persep.jpg

foray

I absolutely loved both this book and its sequel. I don't want to give out spoilers, but personally I was especially struck by her experiences studying in Vienna as recounted in the sequel, where she comes to terms with the more complicated reality of what she could only fantasize about in Iran. And I agree, it's all much more light-hearted than Maus. Sacco's Palestine is also a great read, if you enjoy this "documentary realism" type of graphic novel.

Yes of course, I absolutely love comic novels and this is actually one of the best I've ever read. Now by joe sacco is out also "gorazde" about yugoslavia war in the mid-90's and he's now working on testifying what happened in the iraq prison camps...

Back
Top Bottom