People are so shallow these days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm tired of how everyone looks so closely at how the presidental candidates act and look. How thry talk means NOTHING. How they look means NOTHING!! The fact the Bush slurs words and Kerry is boring means nothing nothing NOTHING!! Why do people look at this insignificant crap? It has no affect on how well they'll lead, and that's all that matters isn't it? Yes it is.

Heck, Moses had a speach impediment, and I'd call him one of the greatest leaders of all time!!!

Because how you carry yourself -- i.e. do you look presidential? -- helps people decide if you would act presidential when you need to. You don't want a president who cuts off a moderator and starts getting angry when someone questions your policies. And you don't want a guy who can't handle himself in front of cameras on a national stage. It should matter even though the ideas themselves are more important.

i heard some ppl. say they wanted to vote for edwards b/c he was cute...(that was back when he was a pres. candidate instead of VP candidate)

It IS silly. I've heard people say they'd vote for bush because he's better looking than Kerry. But I do agree with sharky. If someone looks/acts more presidential in a campaign, we can only hope they act presidential when the time comes for them to do so.
Just because John Edwards is cute doesn't mean that's the only reason I like him. I've admired him since I first heard about the case with the pool drain, and especially after his victory in the senate. It has nothing to do with his looks.
But yes, when people vote for superficial reasons it's very disturbing.

It's not just these days, this has been going on since the dawn of politics.

It's not just Bush slurring words, the guy comes off as a complete idiot sometimes. He's just not a bright man. I watched the last debate and was embarrassed this man was the president of my country.

A great leader has to be able to do it all.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I watched the last debate and was embarrassed this man was the president of my country.

I am very glad i do not share your same feelings. I could not be more proud to have Bush as our president. But that's the great thing about a democracy in that we can have our opinions

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I watched the last debate and was embarrassed this man was the president of my country.

Me too, i wanted to crawl under a chair.

But Spooner is right, at least we can have differing opinions in this country without worrying about being silenced.

It's a trend I like to call the "Dumbing Down Of America."
Bush just reinforces the dumbness across the nation wear superficiality
is the norm.
We have pop groups and singers with
absolutely no talent, but they sure look
good.
So why can't this apply to presidents?
It does sadly. Bush is a brainless twit,
but he sure does look good to some.
If Abraham Lincoln was running for president, he wouldn't stand a chance
now. Unless they gave him drastic make
over.
With Bush at the helm, the ship of the US
is heading for the rocks. Who cares?
Rise for the flag salute........

Last edited:
Remember, though, that this has been going on for a long time. In 1960, the people who watched the presidential debate on TV thought Kennedy won. Nixon was sweaty and pasty, Kennedy looked in control and smooth.

robert was better looking than john. :wink:

i would have loved to have seen robert take on nixon in '68 but noooooooooooooo sirhan sirhan just HAD to kill him, didn't he?
:madspit: :mad: :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

of course i wasn't around in '68 but y'all know what i mean.

Last edited:
Is Bush an idiot or is he just a rich spoiled brat who spent his entire life profoundly incurious about the world outside his front door?

As for image, it plays some role, and always has.

shart1780 said:
I'm tired of how everyone looks so closely at how the presidental candidates act and look. How thry talk means NOTHING. How they look means NOTHING!! The fact the Bush slurs words and Kerry is boring means nothing nothing NOTHING!! Why do people look at this insignificant crap? It has no affect on how well they'll lead, and that's all that matters isn't it? Yes it is.

Heck, Moses had a speach impediment, and I'd call him one of the greatest leaders of all time!!!

How they talk does mean a great deal. I don't criticise Bush for slurring his words, but I do criticise him for the following: consistanly using the wrong word; consistantly incorrect grammer; and consistantly mangling the language. A few (and just a few) Bushisms:

"Like you, I have been disgraced about what I've seen on TV that took place in prison." —George W. Bush, Parkersburg, West Virginia, May 13, 2004

"The enemy understands a free Iraq will be a major defeat in their ideology of hatred. That's why they're fighting so vociferously." —George W. Bush, presidential debate, Coral Gables, Fla., Sept. 30, 2004

"This has been tough weeks in that country." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 13, 2004

"Justice was being delivered to a man who defied that gift from the Almighty to the people of Iraq." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003

"This very week in 1989, there were protests in East Berlin and in Leipzig. By the end of that year, every communist dictatorship in Central America had collapsed." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Nov. 6, 2003

We had a chance to visit with Teresa Nelson who's a parent, and a mom or a dad." —George W. Bush, Jacksonville, Florida, Sept. 9, 2003

"I think war is a dangerous place." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003

"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure." —George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, May 3, 2003

"[The Space Shuttle] Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America." —George W. Bush, Bethesda, Md., Feb. 3, 2003

"And, most importantly, Alma Powell, secretary of Colin Powell, is with us." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 30, 2003

"The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself." —George W. Bush, Grand Rapids, Mich., Jan. 29, 2003

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific." —George W. Bush, who apparently forgot about a little something called World War II, Tokyo, Feb. 18, 2002

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —George W. Bush, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

Well, at least he's accurate in the quote that follows!

"I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'" —George W. Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, Aug. 13, 2004

For more Bushisms go here. You have to scroll down to the "More Bushisms from the debates" link on the page. But then it sends you to a whole host of Bushisms for your reading pleasure.

* edited to correct link

Last edited:
Sorry but I believe in physiognomy and observing people's auras and the energies that they give out, maybe people aren't keen readers of such things but I was raised this way. I don't see this as being superficial.

foray

foray said:
Sorry but I believe in physiognomy and observing people's auras and the energies that they give out, maybe people aren't keen readers of such things but I was raised this way. I don't see this as being superficial.

foray

Are you one of those people who does yoga and paints? :)

No I don't do yoga or pilates, I'm not vegan, I don't meditate, I don't hang beads over my dashboard, I don't wear scarves, I don't burn incense for fun or seriousness, I don't light scented candles. But yes I do paint.

furry

Perosnally I think that how a person speaks in front of a bunch of people is not too relevant. I am sure most people here have a huge fear of speaking in front of people; thoughts can get jumbled and wrong words can get used. As a teaching assistant I speak a lot and am around professors alot. Many of them are still not that crazy about speaking in front of people and can mix up words. Not everyone is gifted like Clinton or Reagan. It is easy to say that someone is a moron until you try to give a state of the union address. And if great public speaking is a prerequisite, I guess that means that Jefferson was an awfully dumb person along with Adams. Not until the radio/tv age was it expected to have a skillful speaker as president. Most presidential candidates did not even stump for themselves until the late 19th century and even then it was not expected. Therefore, I agree that one should look at other aspects of a person before judgment is passed.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Perosnally I think that how a person speaks in front of a bunch of people is not too relevant. I am sure most people here have a huge fear of speaking in front of people; thoughts can get jumbled and wrong words can get used. As a teaching assistant I speak a lot and am around professors alot. Many of them are still not that crazy about speaking in front of people and can mix up words. Not everyone is gifted like Clinton or Reagan. It is easy to say that someone is a moron until you try to give a state of the union address. And if great public speaking is a prerequisite, I guess that means that Jefferson was an awfully dumb person along with Adams. Not until the radio/tv age was it expected to have a skillful speaker as president. Most presidential candidates did not even stump for themselves until the late 19th century and even then it was not expected. Therefore, I agree that one should look at other aspects of a person before judgment is passed.

I'm sorry, I'm terrified to talk in front of people and even sometimes just in one on one conversations, and I don't fuck up even a tiny bit as much as Bush. And he WANTED this job!

Then again I disagree with Bush on just about everything, so even looking at all other aspects of his record he loese big time with me.

As for Kerry, I don't particularly love him, but I agree with him on half to two thirds of the issues, so that will have to do.

Face it... people who are poor public speakers shouldn't be President. Poor public is a sign of being an idiot. Ft. Worth Frog your professors aren't qualified to be professors b/c they can't speak in front of people. People with poor public speaking = idiots (sarcasm).

I've had professors who were good researchers but terrible in terms of presentation. Hmmmmm.... does that mean something?
I don't put much stock in Bush's public speaking skills. Its important but its no sign of level of intelligence. LOL at the idea that a person can't seek the Presidency b/c he's not a good public speaker.

I can see why Bush makes his "Bushisms." Every freaking word of his is scrutinized and by media hounds. He has repeat spin as well. Say something wrong and he gets crucified. Ask John Kerry about his quotes being used against him and wonder to yourself why Bush might fumble sometimes. I don't attribute that being the only reason Bush has his moments but it contributes.

foray said:

foray

So that being said, what would say about the energy/vibe given out by Bush and Kerry that you've observed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom