Pentagon Classifies Homosexuality as a Mental Disorder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2096656

"WASHINGTON Jun 20, 2006 (AP)— A Pentagon document classifies homosexuality as a mental disorder, decades after mental health experts abandoned that position.The document outlines retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities, and in a section on defects lists homosexuality alongside mental retardation and personality disorders. "

So now there experts on everything.

:huh: :mad:

It's horribly wrong and institutionalised bigotry as well but somehow not terribly surprising.

They should allow Gays and Lesbians and transgenders to serve. They have as much right to serve as anyone.

Oh, for goodness sakes............the American Psychiatric Association took homosexuality out of its list of mental illnesses in 1973. I think that list should be the yardstick as per what is mental illness and what's just a different way of life. If you think homosexuality is a sin, OK, but say it's a sin, not an illness.

It's an 'illness' to some because they don't understand why anyone would be../different/. It's an issue of nonconformity, as though a person who sleeps with others of the same sex wouldn't be able to operate correctly in the middle of a war zone.

And remember, many of these pentagon types signed up in the sixties, and earlier, most likely. They're old and stoopid and need to be removed ere they crumble the country with this crap.

Hey, if people believe it's a mental disorder, then they can't really say it's a choice (nor, you would think, could they then say it's a sin).

This bit of clarity would be good news to the President and someone should clue him in. As you'll recall during the last presidential campaign debate:

Bob Schiffer: Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?

BUSH: You know, Bob, I don't know. I just don't know. I do know that we have a choice to make in America and that is to treat people with tolerance and respect and dignity. It's important that we do that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Do we still have slavery, can women vote???:huh:

2 steps forward, 1 step back...

I was referring more to Bush's presidency than anything else really. Thats about 5 or 6 steps back :wink:

So - homosexuality is a mental disorder but classifying someone as ill because of whom they sleep with is perfectly sane????? :banghead:

Is it 2008 yet? :der:

Does it say when this classification was enacted? I didn't see it. For all we know, this has been in place for ages.

I'm curious. If someone is discharged under "dont ask don't tell," do they get benefits? How does that compare to this provision of "mental illness?" Could this be a loophole put in place in the Clinton Administration to give homosexuals benefits if discharged under "don't ask dont tell" to ensure that homosexuals get benefits?

I'm purely wondering, because I haven't a clue. I'm not going to be so quick to blame Bush as others have done in this thread because this link doesn't say enough about the whole story for me to judge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom