Pelosi: "Drain the [GOP] Swamp"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i've always found her a bit of a Stepford Wife, face tightened by little nips and tucks and pulls and pinches. but she's rather resolved and resonant here ... could Dems be finding their way out of the woods?

[q]Pelosi says she would drain GOP 'swamp'
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent
Fri Oct 6, 1:58 AM ET
WASHINGTON - Franklin Roosevelt had his first hundred days.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi is thinking 100 hours, time enough, she says, to begin to "drain the swamp" after more than a decade of Republican rule.

As in the first 100 hours the House meets after Democrats — in her fondest wish — win control in the Nov. 7 midterm elections and Pelosi takes the gavel as the first Madam Speaker in history.

Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

Day Two: Enact all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Time remaining until 100 hours: Raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, maybe in one step. Cut the interest rate on student loans in half. Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds — "I hope with a veto-proof majority," she added in an Associated Press interview Thursday.

All the days after that: "Pay as you go," meaning no increasing the deficit, whether the issue is middle class tax relief, health care or some other priority.

To do that, she said, Bush-era tax cuts would have to be rolled back for those above "a certain level." She mentioned annual incomes of $250,000 or $300,000 a year and higher, and said tax rates for those individuals might revert to those of the Clinton era. Details will have to be worked out, she emphasized.

"We believe in the marketplace," Pelosi said of Democrats, then drew a contrast with Republicans. "They have only rewarded wealth, not work."

"We must share the benefits of our wealth" beyond the privileged few, she added.

[...]

Not long before sitting down for a lunchtime interview, she turned down a suggestion from Speaker Dennis Hastert that they jointly appoint former FBI Director Louie Freeh to recommend improvements in the page program.

"That was about protecting their majority" rather than the pages, she said dismissively.

Instead, she wants to put Hastert and other Republicans under oath and make them say what they knew of Foley's actions, when they learned it and what they did to stop him.

The potential for political gain is clear to her.

"It's an opportunity for growth among women" for the Democrats, she said. "They don't always vote and this could be a motivation."

With married women, in particular, it's a huge issue, she added.

Among older voters, too.

"If there's an ethical issue, seniors take a hike" and abandon politicians they blame, she said.

"If we hold onto seniors we win the election."[/q]

My favorite Pelosi moment was when she gave a speech at some liberal college, and the students booed her and wouldn't let her finish her sentences because she said she doesn't support immediate troop withdrawal.

Irvine511 said:
Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

I'd vote for anyone who would actually live up to this.
Democrat, Republican, Satanist, whatever.

The problem is, the people promising to do this are entrenched as deep in the problem as anyone else.

In other words, it's not going to happen.

Hey, I'm trying to be an optimist. :wink:

Re: Re: Pelosi: "Drain the [GOP] Swamp"

U2DMfan said:

The problem is, the people promising to do this are entrenched as deep in the problem as anyone else.

In other words, it's not going to happen.

Hey, I'm trying to be an optimist. :wink:

You know, I'm not going to try to be an optimist. I'll just say it; I'm fed up to here (holding my hand up to my forehead) with all politicians of both main parties.

Re: Re: Re: Pelosi: "Drain the [GOP] Swamp"

80sU2isBest said:

I'm fed up to here (holding my hand up to my forehead) with all politicians of both main parties.

one side

the one with more power

is more corrupt

White House aide with ties to Abramoff resigns

POSTED: 4:39 p.m. EDT, October 6, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A key aide to presidential political strategist Karl Rove resigned Friday in the wake of a congressional report that listed hundreds of contacts between disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and the White House.

Susan Ralston, special assistant to President Bush, submitted a resignation letter to him less than five weeks before congressional elections in which corruption and scandal are emerging as key issues for voters.

"She did not want to be a distraction to the White House at such an important time and so we have accepted her resignation," White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said.

"We support her decision and consider the matter closed," Perino said.

Critics have pointed to Ralston as evidence that Rove -- and thus Bush -- are possibly closer to Abramoff than the White House has acknowledged. Ralston was Abramoff's administrative assistant at his lobbying firm and, after Bush took office, assumed the same post with Rove.

The House Government Reform Committee last week issued a report saying that based on documents supplied by Abramoff's former lobbying firm, he had 485 lobbying contacts with White House officials over three years, including 10 with Rove. At the time, the White House said it was unclear whether all the listed contacts were legitimate because they were based on sometimes-sketchy information provided by Abramoff himself. (Report details White House-Abramoff ties)

The report also said that Abramoff and his team offered White House officials tickets to 19 sporting events and concerts, and that Ralston was the most frequent recipient.

Ralston's job at the White House involved organizing and coordinating the day's events and messages of the day.

Looks like we have the Republican controversy du jour there Deep!

Every Friday we can expect something new....or at least in October. Bring on Friday the 13TH!

Back
Top Bottom