Pearl Jam to stop playing Bu$hleaguer live. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:19 AM
I don't particularly like the idea of them broadcasting a Bush speech at the ballpark. Ballparks are for baseball, not politics. If I'd been at that ballgame I would have been pissed too.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Do you hold the same opinion of the chants used during, for example, anti-war rallys?
No, nor would I object to the U-S-A chant at a pro-war rally. That's the point of rallys. When the screaming and chanting is used to shut the oppostion up, that's when I object, especially when it's disguised as patriotism.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
When the screaming and chanting is used to shut the oppostion up, that's when I object
Isn't that a subjective standard? I would imagine it would be hard to drown out Pearl Jam, given they are the ones with the microphones.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:30 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
As for PJ, if you don't agree with Eddie's politics, why are you at a Pearl Jam show? You should know that is what he's going to do. I doubt many Pro-lifers would go to a PJ show for the same reason.
So now if I don't agree with someone's politics, I can't be a fan of their artistic talent? I'm pro-life, anti-abortion, whatever the heck you want to call it, too. But that won't stop me from attending a Pearl Jam show. I don't agree with a lot of the things the Pope says, but that won't stop me from being a Catholic. I feel sorry for anyone who would just not be a fan of something, not attend a concert, event, etc. just because they didn't believe in the same politics as the person performing.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:49 PM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Isn't that a subjective standard? I would imagine it would be hard to drown out Pearl Jam, given they are the ones with the microphones.

No.

What I objected to was the chanting of U-S-A. I'm getting tired of that being used as a final answer for these people. If they disagree with something, they chant U-S-A, assuming that those with whom they disagree somehow don't support their country. Go ahead and boo; I think that's a more honest response that simply wrapping yourself in the flag.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

So now if I don't agree with someone's politics, I can't be a fan of their artistic talent? I'm pro-life, anti-abortion, whatever the heck you want to call it, too. But that won't stop me from attending a Pearl Jam show. I don't agree with a lot of the things the Pope says, but that won't stop me from being a Catholic. I feel sorry for anyone who would just not be a fan of something, not attend a concert, event, etc. just because they didn't believe in the same politics as the person performing.
Well said, Headache.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:20 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
What I objected to was the chanting of U-S-A. I'm getting tired of that being used as a final answer for these people. If they disagree with something, they chant U-S-A, assuming that those with whom they disagree somehow don't support their country. Go ahead and boo; I think that's a more honest response that simply wrapping yourself in the flag.
I agree, martha. I get tired of being called anti-American simply because I'm anti-war. The only concluson I can draw from those allegations of being anti-American is that people find it easy to simply accuse a person of being prejudiced agaist America, rather than actually having a discussion about why that person is opposed to some of the actions taken by the United States.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:42 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sharky,

"geez, did eddie raid the Mirrorball Man's closet? sing what you want eddie, but at least do something creative."

"as for the USA chants, martha I agree with you. I was at the Yankees game on Thursday and in between innings they played an excerpt of Bush's speech saying we won the war with Iraq. In the bleachers [where I was] the crowd started chanting "U-S-A" while my cousin and I simultaneously started chanting "Where's bin Laden?" It made me a little nauseous thinking about these New Yorkers who had been devastated 18 months ago to support a war that wasn't even about securing terrorists so we wouldn't be afraid in this city anymore."

"As for PJ, if you don't agree with Eddie's politics, why are you at a Pearl Jam show? You should know that is what he's going to do. I doubt many Pro-lifers would go to a PJ show for the same reason. But as mentioned, the First Amendment protects everyone. The government supporters, the government rejectors and everyone in between. I find Eddie's position that his First Amendment right is better than others more disturbing than what exactly he is saying"

It makes me a little nauseous when people fail to appreciate the threat that Saddam posed to the region and the world as so clearly demontrated by history, and fail to recognize the accomplishments of our Service Men and Women who have removed this serious threat.

Your safe in New York City and going to baseball games today partly because right now there are 8,000 US service men and women in Afghanistan who work day and night in difficult conditions hunting for members of Al Quada. Their doing an excellent job! How many times has New York City been attacked in the past 18 months? The ones chanting USA know.

Since your so obessed with one person, Bin Ladin, I wonder if you would approve of a military invasion of Iran to get him, if he is indeed alive and hiding there? If Bin Ladin is dead, which is a likely possibility, he may be underneath a 100 feet of ruble and dirt and won't be found for another 5,000 years.

I think its rather silly that you have to agree with a musicians politics to like and enjoy their music. If in five years Eddie Vedder changed his mind on abortion and became a pro-lifer, would you stop listening to his music?
Old 05-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Good points, Sting2.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Quote:
It makes me a little nauseous when people fail to appreciate the threat that Saddam posed to the region and the world as so clearly demontrated by history, and fail to recognize the accomplishments of our Service Men and Women who have removed this serious threat.

Your safe in New York City and going to baseball games today partly because right now there are 8,000 US service men and women in Afghanistan who work day and night in difficult conditions hunting for members of Al Quada. Their doing an excellent job! How many times has New York City been attacked in the past 18 months? The ones chanting USA know.
This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Yes the troops have done a great job. But it has nothing to do with Bushleaguer, Pearl Jam, or anything else in this thread. Pearl Jam didn't say they didn't support the troops anywhere in that song, no one even suggested anything of the sort.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

the thing that they have to realize, pearl jam and anyone else really, is that if they voice strong, at times disrespectful opinions against the commander-in-chief durring a time of war, they're going to be thought of by some, right or wrong, as being anti-american. i happen to disagree with this thinking. i think eddie's right to say or sing whatever he wants is one of the most american things out there, even though i disagree with what he did/said in this particular instance.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:12 PM   #27
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
If in five years Eddie Vedder changed his mind on abortion and became a pro-lifer, would you stop listening to his music?
Probably. I stopped listening to Steel Pulse when they went off the right-wing deep end. I couldn't stand their anti-woman lyrics, so I stopped buying their records. I don't buy Toby Keith records, either.

edit: typing issues
Old 05-05-2003, 06:20 PM   #28
She's the One

And STING2 proves our point. We must not think a whole lot of our troops if we don't scream out the initials of our country at a ball game or a concert.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The ones chanting USA know.

I doubt it. They know that if they yell loud enough, they don't have to hear the other side.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Probably. I stopped listening to Steel Pulse when they went off the right-wing deep end. I couldn't stand their anti-woman lyrics, so I stopped buying their records. I don't buy Toby Keith records, either.
Just out of curiosity, would you only stop listening to Pearl Jam if they actually expressed pro-life views in their music, or just if one of their members were to state that they were pro-life in an interview? Not that I can ever imagine that happening, of course.