Peanut Free School - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Because somebody asked...

The rise we are seeing in allergies is primarily witnessed in the first world. Studies indicate that a staggering 40% of the developed world's population is suffering from some sort of allergy (ie. mounting of IgE response). If you mount an exaggerated IgE response you are considered to be atopic, and such individuals are usually characterized by a higher IgE blood content than non-atopic people. This is a genetic factor, and there are a number of candidate genes being looked at on I believe 2 separate chromosomes, but I'd have to look that up.

There are 4 theories as to the increased allergic responses:

1. Dietary changes (no evidence to prove this).

2. Increased allergen levels in your environement (no evidence).

3. Environmental pollution - this one is a popular one, especially in the natural medicine community, but most people would be surprised to find out that the strongest evidence actually shows the oppposite is true. There is a paper by von Mutius et al. (1994) which followed two cohorts of children in Germany. One was in the heavily industrialized, polluted town of Halle in the former East Germany, with severe levels of air pollutants. The other cohort was an ethnically matched (to avoid genetic tendency for atopy among different ethnicities) group in Munich, where the air was considerably cleaner. The results were that the children of Halle had a significantly lower incidence of atopy than the children in Munich! It should be noted that the effects of air pollution were obvious on them, as their rate of respiratory disease was considerably higher than that in Munich. But alas, environmental pollution not only did not induce an atopic response, but to some extent seems to have suppressed it.

4. The most believable explanation is the changes in exposure to pathogens in early childhood. The human body has two subsets of T-helper cells, known as Th1 and Th2. Th1 cells are most commonly associated with defense against intracellular parasites (and some autoimmune responses). Th2 cells are associated with atopic and anti-inflammatory responses. The current theory is that the first world has largely removed parasitic infestation and infection through clean drinking water and sanitary living conditions. This may have resulted in skewing our Tcell response in favour of Th2 cells so that we are getting exaggerated IgE responses, atopy and allergy. People in the third world do not share the same high incidence of allergies, but notably they do have high rates of parasitic infections. There are therefore studies being done regarding how to potentiall equalize the T helper cell responses so it is not skewed in one direction.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Thank you anitram, that was really fascinating. You are very good at putting this stuff in layman's terms.

That bit about T1/T2 imbalances kind of reminds me of stuff I've read about imbalances in dietary fats (e.g. too much omega-6s) and how it ultimately results in increased inflammatory tendencies due to complicated big-picture imbalances involving too much arachidonic acid or however you spell that, etc. etc.

So as a parent, can I rest assured that vaccinations pose no threat to later immune system health then?

Oh and not to pester, but I also posted a question for you in the Depression thread over in ZC about the 5-HTP stuff.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for posting this!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 PM
I'm familiar with the severity of the "peanut allergy". It's scary, and I'm careful about what I do with peanuts as I'm not allergic and happen to be quite fond of them. I don't take them to public places, and I make sure the containers aren't lying around the house just in case a visitor has this affliction.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I'm surprised that it would be common among Eastern Europeans though. No knishes and kugel for your folk then, eh?

For some strange reason it tends to afflict mostly just the men too. Case in point, all the men in my father's side of the family had/have it. And it tended too develop later in life, instead of being born that way.

Dairy free kugel
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #51
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
And it tended too develop later in life, instead of being born that way.
From what I've read (can you tell I have this problem too?) there is actually an evolutionary reason for that. Mammals, including humans, produce lactase primarily to enable digestion of mother's milk during infancy, and so there is a tendency for production of it to slow down sharply post-weaning. To a point, it is possible to artificially prolong high production by continuing to drink mother's milk (of other species--a pretty bizarre concept when you think about it) after this stage, but the extent to which that is possible varies widely between different ethnic groups, due to the genetically inherited nature of the capacity. Now, why the men in your family might be more likely to develop it I have no idea--I don't think that's normally a pattern. Perhaps they tend to consume less dairy?

I inherited the trait from my mother, who is Greek Jewish. It's common among Mediterranean/Balkan peoples too.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

For some strange reason it tends to afflict mostly just the men too. Case in point, all the men in my father's side of the family had/have it. And it tended too develop later in life, instead of being born that way.

Count me in! I HATE milk anyway. I had soy milk as a baby and have never had so much as a glass of milk since then. I love cheese, though, just have to be careful about which types/how much. It was MUCH worse during adolescence, but I think IBS/digestive issues are common while growing.

I remember reading somewhere that 3/4 of the world is lactose intollerant.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:37 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

There is an amazing brand of soy cheese called "Soy Moon". The gouda version is fantastic. You should try it, you can't tell the difference.

Yea, I think I've read that too bout 3/4 being lactose intolerant. Not too hard to imagine since we are the only animals that a)continue to drink milk past infancy and b)drink other animal's milk.

And Yolland....very interesting comment. My father's side of the family happens to be Jewish as well.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
There is an amazing brand of soy cheese called "Soy Moon". The gouda version is fantastic. You should try it, you can't tell the difference.

Sweet b/c I love Dutch cheese, but my guts want to turn inside out.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
4. The most believable explanation is the changes in exposure to pathogens in early childhood. The human body has two subsets of T-helper cells, known as Th1 and Th2. Th1 cells are most commonly associated with defense against intracellular parasites (and some autoimmune responses). Th2 cells are associated with atopic and anti-inflammatory responses. The current theory is that the first world has largely removed parasitic infestation and infection through clean drinking water and sanitary living conditions. This may have resulted in skewing our Tcell response in favour of Th2 cells so that we are getting exaggerated IgE responses, atopy and allergy. People in the third world do not share the same high incidence of allergies, but notably they do have high rates of parasitic infections. There are therefore studies being done regarding how to potentiall equalize the T helper cell responses so it is not skewed in one direction.
baisicly the chris rock theory... "you don't see anyone in rawanda with a fucking lactose intollerance"
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
P.S. Who's that trannie in your avatar?

LMJ, Jr.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
To a point, it is possible to artificially prolong high production by continuing to drink mother's milk (of other species--a pretty bizarre concept when you think about it) after this stage,

i'm not lactose intolerant, and love cheese, yogurt, and obviously ice cream, but i really don't like milk. i actually prefer soy milk if i have to put something in coffee or cereal. and even when i was little, the concept of drinking another animal's milk was weird.

i mean, who was the guy who looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging beneath it? well, i'm gonna squeeze 'em and drink whatever comes out!"

ew.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #58
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
LMJ, Jr.
oops.
Quote:
i mean, who was the guy who looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging beneath it? well, i'm gonna squeeze 'em and drink whatever comes out!"
I don't know either, but I surely do feel sorry for that one friend of his who was filming the whole thing when he died of internal injuries.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:

ew.
I read something somewhere about a theory that cow's milk is very good....for other cows. Not so good for humans. I can't remember where I read it or what this guy's scientific reasoning was but I remember it was rather compelling. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I, too, hated milk as a child. I grew up on a farm and lugged buckets of milk for calves to drink and everytime I looked at or smelt that milk I nearly gagged. When they tried to get me to drink that same milk, there was like no way in hell I was going to drink it. My mom used to put vanilla in it to get it down me but it didn't help--made it worse, actually. So she finally started buying milk so we didn't have to drink the nasty stuff that had just come out of the cows. But now I love cream in my coffee and all dairy products but I could never drink a glass of milk.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:

ew.
Probably a relative of the person who saw a chicken lay an egg and thought "breakfast"!