Peanut Free School - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
And it's also interesting that people do seem to have more allergies today. I have so many friends with environmental illness/chemical sensitivities and I've read that this will be the illness of this millennium. I wouldn't be surprised to see fragrance-free flights, theatres, etc., in our lifetime.
Reminds me of my piano teacher - I couldn't wear any lotion, perfume, hair spray, deodorant, or anything else scented to my lesson or she would choke up and ask me to wash off.

Perhaps it's not so much of an increase in allergies, but that we can pinpoint the allergy itself as the cause?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

I have a cousing with a severe nut allergy. One day we just walked into a grocery that just happened to have a nut roasting machine on site and he began to have a reaction from the allergen in the air.

Some allergies are hereditary. My family is Eastern European so just about all of them are severley lactose intolerant. After I've stopped eating dairy, eggs and meat myself and have done some reading, there definetly seems to be an enviromental factor to some peoples food allergies.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

ahhh the peanut allergy, how i hate thee.

i don't now where this came from, but as some have stated already, it's exploded over the past 5 years or so. it's gone from something that hardly anyone even knew about to something that's a constant issue.

a large number of school cafeterias and caterers have already stopped using peanut products and oils in their foods. if this school has gone so far as to banning peanuts in the school, they must know of a child there who has a serious allergy.

i don't know where this problem came from... was it always there or are we just more aware of it now? no matter what it is, it most certainly is a major issue with kids today.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #34
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Some allergies are hereditary. My family is Eastern European so just about all of them are severley lactose intolerant. After I've stopped eating dairy, eggs and meat myself and have done some reading, there definetly seems to be an enviromental factor to some peoples food allergies.
Lactose intolerance is not an allergy, actually--it's an enzyme insufficiency, whereas an allergy is by definition an immune system hyperreaction--to a protein substance always, I believe. Of course there is also such a thing as dairy allergy.

I'm surprised that it would be common among Eastern Europeans though. No knishes and kugel for your folk then, eh? Have they tried goat's or sheep's milk? Sometimes that is more readily digested.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #35
Forum Moderator

Perhaps anitram would have some informed comment on whether and why certain allergies are becoming more common. I know for sure that severe peanut allergies are not "new" because I knew a girl in grade school who had them, back in the '70s.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
ahhh the peanut allergy, how i hate thee.

i don't now where this came from, but as some have stated already, it's exploded over the past 5 years or so. it's gone from something that hardly anyone even knew about to something that's a constant issue.

a large number of school cafeterias and caterers have already stopped using peanut products and oils in their foods. if this school has gone so far as to banning peanuts in the school, they must know of a child there who has a serious allergy.

i don't know where this problem came from... was it always there or are we just more aware of it now? no matter what it is, it most certainly is a major issue with kids today.
There is really no exact cause of peanut allergy as yet! But it has been linked to the steadfast increase in the consumption of foods containing peanuts we particurly in western countries have been eating alot more variety of dishes like satay,fried foods with peanut oil,spreads with peanut oil, alot of products that don't actually have to contain(peanuts) has some form of nut oil, this is why parents of a anaphyalactic child is educated on reading labels.
Here and i'm sure it will be the same in your case the school can be liable if a child dies or sustains injury from peanuts consumed at school because it is a obstruction of "Duty of care" and be warned if you were notified of the dangers and ignore them YOU not the school can be liable. Our govt is looking into that all schools in Australia become PEANUT FREE, as it should be!
Afterall if my child became immune to arsenic sandwiches does that give me a right to send them to school with them, because to some of these kids, a peanut allergy is ARSENIC!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Re: Peanut Free School

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite

I hope they don't start saying they can't have hamburger because one of the kids may be muslim. Or pork if they have any Jewish kids.

Jeez.
I hope you realize this has absolutely no correlation.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What an utter twerp of a child would go out and eat a peanut butter sandwich if they knew that they had alergies.
That's really not the point. A sneeze, a kiss, a touch, etc could kill the kid.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Perhaps anitram would have some informed comment on whether and why certain allergies are becoming more common. I know for sure that severe peanut allergies are not "new" because I knew a girl in grade school who had them, back in the '70s.
Yes.

I'm about to leave the lab so I'll answer it better when I get home.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #40
War Child

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Re:Peanut Free School

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I hope you realize this has absolutely no correlation.
Yeah - I realize that was a bad ananlogy - sorry.

As far as my friend knows they just established a peanut free school this semester as a new rule. There has been no notification that any child in particular has that allergy, but I am not sure that they would tell her if the child wasn't in her child's classroom.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Reminds me of my piano teacher - I couldn't wear any lotion, perfume, hair spray, deodorant, or anything else scented to my lesson or she would choke up and ask me to wash off.

Perhaps it's not so much of an increase in allergies, but that we can pinpoint the allergy itself as the cause?
I live in an alternative health mecca and as a result people with environmental illnesses flock here. Thus, fragrance-free places are not uncommon here. My pilates class, for example, is fragrance-free.

A friend of mine with the illness also treats a lot of people with this illness, and he says that in every single case he has treated it's the combination of a traumatic experience+simultaneous chemical exposure=whacko immune system. Very, very simplistic explanation (don't yell at me, anitram!) for a very complex illness but that's the trend he's seen.

As for the increase in other allergies, I've seen everything from childhood immunizations to mercury amalgams to more preservatives/pesticides/herbicides blamed for it.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[B]There was that girl recently who died from kissing a boy who had eaten peanuts.

This was a teenage boy whos girlfriend hours before had had something with peanuts in it.

This should be taken seriousely by everyone. My nephew who is 2 1/2 is deathly allergic to peanuts and eggs. My house is peanut free and egg free so I do not have to worry as much. But it is other foods that are manufactured in plants that also may contain traces of peanuts that may be the culprit as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

The teacher could have all the kids thoroughly wash their hands at the beginning of the school day. I don't know much about the science behind it, but it that takes care of the oil/residue, I don't think it would be unreasonable.
In a classroom with a child with SEVERE alergies, you will find some type of hand sanitizer at the doorway to the classroom with a polite sign asking anyone who enters the room to please use the sanitizer before coming into the room.

This is very common in elementary schools.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re:Peanut Free School

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite

Yeah - I realize that was a bad ananlogy - sorry.

As far as my friend knows they just established a peanut free school this semester as a new rule. There has been no notification that any child in particular has that allergy, but I am not sure that they would tell her if the child wasn't in her child's classroom.
You would most likely get a note sent home notifying you that there was a child with the allergy. It is a bizzare thing because we are not allowed to specifically name the child, but everyone knows who they are.

I am going to go out on a limb as a school administrator and guess that....

a) something happened to a student and it was not widely publicized
b) someone moved in with a severe allergey that the school has chosen to make this a new rule

People have to understand that there are restrictions and confidentiality issues that we as administrators face....so the public perception is that this is a random decision, but trust me...

There had to be something to trigger this type of change in procedure.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #45
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i am very allergic to certain kinds of shellfish -- lobster, crab, scallops -- but it's not life threatening, i just projectile vomit for a few hours. i also inherited that from my grandmother.

just thought i'd share.
Might I entice you with some tasty Loma Linda brand kosher soy analog shellfish chunks in a can?

Nope. Thought not. Well, be careful with your choices if you ever try a nonveg South Indian restaurant--shellfish is present in a LOT of their dishes, and the waiters are often very fuzzy on what constitutes shellfish-free food.

P.S. Who's that trannie in your avatar?