Peace on Earth...will there ever be one? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-31-2002, 05:32 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Not until we have a common enemy that all of humanity can fight against.
This first sentence brings to mind the film "Independence Day."

Old 03-31-2002, 10:01 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:31 AM

As for humanity uniting to fight against the common enemy, I think that the very next day after the enemy comes there will be humans willing to do dirty work for the enemy for the sake of their own profit/survival.

Old 04-01-2002, 03:50 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:31 PM
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
I thought you made a really good point there - but does it ever make you feel as though our whole world is built on conflict? Maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe instead of scientists working on creating new weapons to kill and hurt people, they could work on discovering new medicines to save lives. Maybe instead of people being employed to build weapons, they could be employed to build homes or schools or hospitals.

Maybe people have a point when they say I'm too idealistic ;-)

I wouldn't say you're too idealistic at all. Between '93 and maybe '98 military spending was thrashed severely. Military production went down until we got into Kosovo and whatever. The problem with the military producers making houses and schools is that there are already people who do that. Can't take their jobs. Now, military spending is up ike 200% (exaggeration, I don't know the number exactly, but methinks it's in the billions) 'cos we're in a war. So production naturally has to go up. As far as scientists trying to make more destructive weapons, I'm split. Because as long as the weapon isn't likened to an atom bomb and it's more like a better bomb that will better destroy a mountain, I'm not really against that. But if it's for biological weapons or things of that nature (which I'm not sure we use, but if they did, would they tell us?), that's obviously bad. We need to employ these people. The ARMY gives good scholarships for its members, so they're getting educated too. So my point is that it's really tricky to figure out.

"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."
Old 04-02-2002, 08:50 PM   #19
The Fly
Local Time: 03:31 AM
Isaiah 9:6-7

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever...

Promises like this are what give me the strength to get up in the morning and face the world.