Peace = Chance to Regroup and Claim Victory - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
NB is there any validity to Melon's post? I am concerned as well about the fact that there are pepople who would support Israel for the wrong reasons.
There is little validity to the article. This in not a discussion of escatology, but a mish mash of quotes from Falwell (who does not the lead speaker for Christians) and others, in a weak attempt to ridicule end-time beliefs.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Right, BVS, but what worries me, and hopefully my impressions are wrong, is that this man is addressing THE Islamic conference, one of the most significant Muslim meetings on the planet. As a Christian, when I hear the likes of Falwell, or his ilk, I either laugh or throw things. So much of the Islamic world is close to other voices, I'm concerned that leaders who teach hate like this (and I do have that reading of his speech) are easily able to drown out moderate Islamic voices.

SD

Old 10-16-2003, 11:02 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
If there is one thing that unites both the Christian Right and the Islamic Right, it is anti-Semitism.

Melon
That is simply ignorant. Jews are God's chosen people - not the object of Christian hatred.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:07 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Again, where is the outrage from the Christian Right on Jerry Falwell, if he does not speak for the Christian Right?

The silence is just as reprehensible as Islam's silence on terrorism following 9/11. And, yet, it still happens...on both fronts.

Melon
Old 10-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Peace = Chance to Regroup and Claim Victory

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
EVERY religion has this type of man involved in it. No religion is immune.
And the point of why I posted my article.

Melon
Old 10-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Peace = Chance to Regroup and Claim Victory

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I agree this speech scares me. But I'm a little suprised Dread that you would label one man's extreme views as that of the religion's. EVERY religion has this type of man involved in it. No religion is ammune.
this is the opening speaker at the 10th Session of the Islamic Summit Conference. How is it that I or anyone else is not supposed to view his words as those of the religion's? I am pretty sure that Fallwell's views are viewed influential on the Christian Right.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:10 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Right, BVS, but what worries me, and hopefully my impressions are wrong, is that this man is addressing THE Islamic conference, one of the most significant Muslim meetings on the planet. As a Christian, when I hear the likes of Falwell, or his ilk, I either laugh or throw things. So much of the Islamic world is close to other voices, I'm concerned that leaders who teach hate like this (and I do have that reading of his speech) are easily able to drown out moderate Islamic voices.

SD
You just said it better than I could. I am toast...the Sox blew it.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Re: Re: Re: Peace = Chance to Regroup and Claim Victory

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

this is the opening speaker at the 10th Session of the Islamic Summit Conference. How is it that I or anyone else is not supposed to view his words as those of the religion's? I am pretty sure that Fallwell's views are viewed influential on the Christian Right.
Do you know how the people accepted the speech? Are we to believe that everyone agreed with his beliefs? Are we to believe every Catholic believes condoms don't stop AIDS?

And Melon is right silence speaks volumes.

When judging a religion shouldn't we all look at what their book or doctrine, whatever really states rather than one individual's speech?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:59 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

K...show me some outrage.......We had some applause here one the board!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Old 10-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #26
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Could be worse Dread. You could be a Cubs fan.

SD
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Again, where is the outrage from the Christian Right on Jerry Falwell, if he does not speak for the Christian Right?

The silence is just as reprehensible as Islam's silence on terrorism following 9/11. And, yet, it still happens...on both fronts.
I saw your request, but I am not sure it is worth an answer or if you are really interested in an answer.

Falwell has been isolated and removed from the mainstream Christian community and has nowhere near the influence he had 20 years ago. The only reason he is even quoted is to keep alive conservative Christian hatred by taking theological statements and hanging them out as political statements. Also, Falwell is not the opening speaker at the Christian Summit Conference, nor would be if such an event occurred. Further, the very natures of the comments are significantly different – beliefs of what God will do vs. beliefs of what the religion will accomplish.

If there has been a response, would you even know it? I have heard the condemnation of his inflammatory statements. And I am confident that the vast majority of conservative Christian churches would not welcome Falwell as a speaker.

Now, for sake of discussion, if you are interested the lack of validity of Falwell’s statements, why don’t you list the statements from the article you find objectionable?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 AM
This is disturbing. While I know Moslems who hate war, period, and don't want to hurt anyone, this is a high-profile situation for some pretty hateful words. Ugh. Still, this is a religion with alot of divisions. Heck, the Shia communities of Iraq can't get along with each other. Just yesterday I saw a report about a lethal dispute between Shia sects in Iraq. I don't know what to think.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

And this from an elected official - the Prime Minister of Malaysia
Old 10-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 AM
It's not pretty. Still, recently the Prime Minister of Turkey, another Moslem country (albeit officially a "secular state"--although the current government is "moderately" Islamicist) recently sat next to Shimon Peres at an economic conference in Italy where they had a nice talk about the alliance between Turkey and Israel. Turkey has a less-than-stellar human rights record, to say the least, but it has quite a good record as per relationships with Jews and Israel.