Peace Activist to hunger strike against Nader?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeThere

War Child
I've never posted here before, but I saw this bit on a yahoofrontpage and it made me feel dizzy...

A 'peace activist' plans on saying I'm-going-to-starve-myself to stop Nader from saying I'm-going-to-do-this-screw-you with the election...to stop Bush from saying I'm-going-to-do-this-screw-you-world...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=2&u=/ap/20041002/ap_on_el_pr/activist_nader

It made me want to see Bill Maher get down on his knees and just say pleeease again...

cheers!

edit: sorry I don't think the link works and gotta run...really sorry! There isn't much in the piece beyond the bizaare idea that this is actually happening anyway..

Last edited:
The link isn't working. But Nader is having about ten times as much trouble getting on the ballot as he did in 2000 when the Green Party just got him there. They just tossed him off of the Ohio ballot for too many invalid signatures on the ballot petitions. I think he hit a real reality check when they kept him off of the ballots in so many states. I don't know what a hunger striker could do.

verte76 said:
The link isn't working. But Nader is having about ten times as much trouble getting on the ballot as he did in 2000 when the Green Party just got him there. They just tossed him off of the Ohio ballot for too many invalid signatures on the ballot petitions. I think he hit a real reality check when they kept him off of the ballots in so many states. I don't know what a hunger striker could do.

Verte, I've been hearing he's gotten in on a alot of states. It's not a majority but I trhink in certain states it could hurt Kerry.:mad: :madspit: :mad:

This is democracy, Kerry has to convince voters that he is the better alternative to Bush - eliminating a third party candidate is just anti-democratic.

You know, I'm beginning to agree with you, A_Wanderer. Talk about a flip-flopper; I feel sometimes like I change my mind daily over Nader. One minute, he's a scrappy, lovable, straight-shootin' advocate of the people; the next, he's a cranky, bitter old demagogue. ;)

I want to love Ralph, I do--he just makes it hard sometimes!

I do think he should be *allowed* to run, of course. And debate, too, if he wants. From time to time, though, I feel like he's like a naughty child--I want to hiss, "Don't encourage him!"

Nader should definitely be allowed to run. He's a U.S. citizen, born here, and has been a highly effective activist. I don't know if he's going to "take away" any votes from Kerry this year. When the pollsters put him in the race he doesn't alter the outcome. He has a clearly defined position on the Iraq controversy that's very different from that of both Kerry and Bush. Some of my friends are voting for him for this reason. He hasn't been allowed on some state ballots, including Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan. He is on the ballot in Florida, which has some people riled up. But it's silly, let the guy run.

Back
Top Bottom