Peace? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Peace?

Originally.. I posted this in my journal. Too 'deep' I guess

Quote:
I've avoided the news, the papers, tv, even the radio.. I've avoided as much 'news' as possible. Of course... the important stuff seems to slip into my world of vision some how...

But, some how I missed the start of a new movement, one I've predicted would come about for quite a long time, and suddenly I feel like I've been in a cave.

350,000 people 'marched' not far from where I lived less than 2 yrs ago... all supporting Peace... the new anti-war movement is on the rise, mainstream media is trying to ignore it, but it's _all over_ the net. Yet, some how, being the net'head I am, I've missed it all.

I don't support Iraq, and I don't particulary support 8u5h. I don't support war, well not for the latest of reasons anyway, but I know it's going to happen.

People had thought that the 60's were a social revolution, and perhaps that's true, and since 94(ish) we've been gifted the title of the Information Revolution.... but what happens when the flow of information collides with the outcry for social change? SOCIAL CHANGE, read that again, SOCIAL CHANGE. People, and a great many of them, are seeing things in view of a global society, not greedy gov'ts, not the leaders (or dictators) that are their head of state.

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

So idealistic.
But if enough people want it, why can't it become a reality?
Perhaps it can. Perhaps it will. But I fear we'll see much destruction before we reach those days. Sometimes things must get worse, to make us realize that they MUST get better.

Can war be justified? For natural resources? for power? for peace?

... this is only the beginning.
Intelligent responses only... please.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Can war be justified?
Is there ever absolutely no alternative?
Does anyone actually know the answer to that? We only think, we dont really know.

Old 01-24-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Nice post....

I believe that the information age has changed me. I do much more reading of information from Foreign News. I find that I am working to try and get a more Global Perspective on the issues of the day. Where as before, I would rely on the nightly news, or the paper.

People look at me now wondering where I am getting my perspective from (HEHE No comments please). I think that our media is being manipulated at times. I find that some stories about my country are in the headlines 24-48 hours before they reach our ears in the mainstream media.

I think months ago, I was much more eager to support the President. Especially back in September and October. Today, based on what I would consider a more Global View than I had, I would say I am more inclined to lean towards peace.

Is this a Social Change based on the Information age? In my opinion Yes.

The problem, as I see it, is some countries still control the information. The manipulation of the media for ratings is a problem. People without access to the information is a problem.

These will hinder the progress of the Social Information Age.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:08 AM
I think that the peace and the social change you´re talking of can´t happen on a large, global scale at the moment. The power structures are too powerful.

But everyone can make a change. Actually our "leaders" can get away with everything - but it depends at which cost. That means that f.e. when a movement like the one in Seattle rises, or the Social World Forum (see another thread), people become more aware of thigs. This is not really dangerous for those in power, but could be... well, a little dangerous in the future, bc people get too educated and too eager to stand up for their rights. Or even more important, it could hurt sales. So, in order to keep the system up, those who are in power think its better to make some slight adjustments, so that "the dominating system" gets 0,001% fairer for a little period of time.

Then, I think you can make a change, too. If you want "no countries, nothing to kill or die for, no religion", you can retreat. in your mind there is no country, your mind is free. If you buy a place and go to live with some people who are the same like you, you may be officially part of a country, but don´t really have to care about that (except of some organisation for infrastructure etc.). So, it can become a reality for you. On a small scale. The more people who follow that thought, the more free this world will be.

War can never be justified, in my opinion.

And yes... this is just the beginning.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Great posts, all.

I've always appreciated how (I think it was) Pope John Someone put it: If you want peace, work for justice.

There isn't peace because human beings are sinful, greedy, scared, sick and starving. When we fix that, there will be peace.

Cheryl
Old 01-24-2003, 09:13 AM   #6
New Yorker

Ok, here I am being the fighter. I think war CAN be justified. If 3,000 people die and our only option is to go after the terrorists who did that then we should. I'm not saying "revenge," I'm saying war to take away their obvious ability to do it again.

that being said, do I think we need to fight Iraq? No. The Wall St. Journal did a poll recently and more people are against than if favor of a war with Iraq. A large number of people feel that the president must PROVE that Iraq is a terrorist threat before we go after them.

And in the UN, most countries are getting fed up with the U.S.'s stance that we have to go to war, that there is no other way. We're losing more respect day by day in the international community.

But as I said in an earlier post here, Elvis, I totally understand your position and I appreciate your well-thought out words. I don't think we need a peace sign on the Interference page though. We are a diverse group of people with a diverse group of ideas. Just because we're U2 fans doesn't mean we all agree on this issue and I respect anyone's opinion here even if it disagrees with mine.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I don't think we need a peace sign on the Interference page though. We are a diverse group of people with a diverse group of ideas. Just because we're U2 fans doesn't mean we all agree on this issue and I respect anyone's opinion here even if it disagrees with mine.
Disagree with peace (the overall concept)?
Let me think about that a moment.

To think that some individuals believe that the world MUST have war, hate, violence, crime, etc.
That REALLY scares me.

Peace, Love, Kindness, Respect....
are these not basic principals?

I'm not talking religion here, or national patriotism. I'm talking REALLY basic concepts of humanity and common sense. .... and don't argue with me that it's common sense to blow up buildings, kill people, and threaten nuclear war (not to mention start it).

So... here again... I pose the question....
can war be justified?

can war be justified to bring an end to those nations/groups that believe PEACE can NEVER happen, and WAR (etc) must?

can war be justied to achieve the greater good of peace?

Someone... please... present a logical, and intelligent argument that PEACE is bad.
I dare you to try.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Peace isnt bad and i really dont think anyone in their right mind would ever think that. But war can be justified to prevent further death. Was the A-bomb justified, it did kill many but saved so many more.

War is something that the world has become acustom too, which IMO is sad. But we havent had an large scale war since deset storm, and many wouldnt consider that a all out war. The talk that the US govt is talking is only being backed by the Brits. France and Germany said they wont help Russia is always on the fence, Canada wont go unless the UN aproves so who does that leave them with. IN the last few weeks i have seen Peace prevail. IMO war in Iraq will not happen. Many will call me crazy but i think that there will be a war this year. I have seen peace say we need a imediate and exteremly dangerous threat to commit to war.

Peace in my opinion is a idea that can will never be established. For reasons that are so simple. There are crazy people out there and they will do crazy things and to stop them sometimes we must use force. Just like if there is a man with a gun on your city street and he refuses to give up and keeps shooting we must use force to stop him.

PS Sharky, the 3000 killed that you are refering to in your post, that isnt from 9/11 is it. Because the number is much lower then that.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

I've always appreciated how (I think it was) Pope John Someone put it: If you want peace, work for justice.
Pope Paul VI, actually.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

Someone... please... present a logical, and intelligent argument that PEACE is bad.
I dare you to try.
OK....I love a challenge....

Would it have been better for the United States to have chosen PEACE over intervention in World War 2? Or would that have been BAD?

I do not have time to thoroughly argue this one...but lets start here......
Old 01-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
PS Sharky, the 3000 killed that you are refering to in your post, that isnt from 9/11 is it. Because the number is much lower then that.
Roughly 2800 in the World Trade Center, 150 at the Pentagon, 200 on four planes is actually more than 3000.

As for justifying war, if I had to choose between the two I would always choose peace. But what could have happened if we didn't put Osama bin Laden on the run? We had a potential shoe bomber on a plane, deadly risin in the U.K. and who knows what else where else.

And let's get away from just the death numbers. NYC is reaching near-record highs in their unemployment rate because tourists don't come here and jobs aren't moving here. Because we lost tax money from the Trade Center and the people who worked there, the city had to make deep cuts in education spending. Because of all the money the city has to pay to widows, they threatened to close the fire station a block away from my apartment as well as several others. We were not only terrorized that day, but we've had to compromise education, safety and jobs because of what happened.

If we go to war to stop the spread of terrorism, if we can prevent one person from dying, is it worth it? You don't know what it was like to be in NYC that day so please don't say that watching what happened on TV that day gave you a good perspective about what it means to be terrorized.

Is war with Iraq justified? I haven't seen proof and I won't support an attack on Iraq until there is proof that they were involved with the terror attacks. But if they were involved, if they do support al Qaeda, if we have to choose between protecting our people and being terrorized, what should we choose?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:08 AM
Peace is bad if it means NOT stopping someone from harming another or yourself. Would it be a crime for a women to use violence to prevent someone from attacking her childern? Of course not, rather it we be wrong if she did not do everything in her power to prevent an attacker from harming her childern.

Should Police officers be allowed to use force to combat and enforce the law against criminals in their communities? Of course. Should the FBI be allowed to use force to stop a multi-state murderer and stop other threats to society? Of course. Should the military be allowed to use force to protect its countries citizens or the citizens of multiple countries? Of course. Should passengers on a hijacked airliner be allowed to fight back against the hijackers? Of course.

People in Europe and elsewhere believed in peace at any cost in the 1930s. The world definitely payed for that decision.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:12 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 01:08 AM
im starting to disagree with sting2s last two sentances.

though ofcourse they did pay terribly for it, i believe proper intervention before the situation got so out of hand could have prevented a war to begin with.

it all started when the nazi's took the rhineland (demilitarized zone serving as a buffer between france and germany after ww1), there should have been serious consequences. however, none were taken, and the nazis managed to somehow annex 4 different zones and countries without having to fire a single bullet.

if there was a strong stance on the entire situation at the beginning, they would not dared to have gone outside their borders in 1939.

nazi germanys militairy was not all that strong until about 1937 or so, and they were really only ready for war when they started it on sept 1 of 39.

just a thought. but sting2, id hate for you to think that im disagreeing with the fact that europe suffered for playing with hitlers antics for too long, cause thats not what im trying to do.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #14

I think some of u are missing the point.

Peace is an over all concept, not just a solution to a dictator.. etc
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas

though ofcourse they did pay terribly for it, i believe proper intervention before the situation got so out of hand could have prevented a war to begin with.

As in, non-violent proper intervention? I'm not sure what the world could have done to stop Hitler short of engaging in combat.