Peace? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2003, 02:01 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

'Some' shouldnt have the power that they do.
They shouldn´t. Does this imply we should take the power out of the hands of `some`, but not by using force?

Go, MLK, go!

Old 01-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #32
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Elvis,

Some are educated in WAR and seem to long for it.

Elvis the article you posted...I can't freakin believe that some on here have the gall to insist that the US doesn't use weapons of mass destruction.

If 300-400 cruise missiles doesn't qualify for WMD status, I don't see how ANYTHING Saddam could or wants to possess could come even close.

PEACE for mankind's sake.

G

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 01-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #33
New Yorker

Greed isn't the only barrier to peace. Pride and Ego are also barriers, whether it be National or personal. This is where "the some" have the most problems.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Hiphop,

I did not say the police and the military were exactly the same. But they have many similarities as I have already demonstrated.

Plus, there are countries in the world where there is not jurisprudence but they certainly have police. Your stuck upon a rigid definition of what defines "police". I define police as any organization who's sole responsibility is domestic security. Yes, sometimes that does include the military in some countries. My point though is that there are domestic and international security needs for any country and providing for both involves actions and organizations that are often very similar in certain ways.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #35
New Yorker

Elvis, teaching peace is a great concept but its not possible. Schools in Saudi Arabia teach that Jews are inferior. The Palestineans fight against the Israelis, the Catholics fight against the Protestants. The KKK thinks that a peaceful world is a caucasian world.

Whose peace is right? Your idea of peace? My idea of peace? Because peace is a relative word.

There is racism, there is sexism, there is bigotry in this country. There is no definition for peace in the real world that we live in.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:18 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Are the people madmen ore hero`s ?

www.humanshields.org

They believe in peace,....
Old 01-25-2003, 06:30 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

I think they're suicidal.

Melon
Old 01-25-2003, 06:32 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

that's insane.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:33 PM   #39
War Child

Local Time: 11:37 PM
yup.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #40
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Elvis, teaching peace is a great concept but its not possible. Schools in Saudi Arabia teach that Jews are inferior. The Palestineans fight against the Israelis, the Catholics fight against the Protestants. The KKK thinks that a peaceful world is a caucasian world.

Whose peace is right? Your idea of peace? My idea of peace? Because peace is a relative word.

There is racism, there is sexism, there is bigotry in this country. There is no definition for peace in the real world that we live in.

Your post makes recall when I was a child in school.. and some kids would say 'Who made you God?'

PEACE is a logical thing. It's a simple concept (although perhaps complex solutions).

All of those things you mentioned are crimes against humanity. They are HATE.

HATE is NOT PEACE .... I don't give a shit who says it is.

2+2=4
4+0=4
0+4=4
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
And peace is not a relative word.

It is, indeed, a logical, simple thing.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:05 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:37 PM
How can peace be a simple thing, when most humans are wired with survival-of-the-fittest instincts?

I mean, it's literally a dog-eat-dog world out there... economically (captialism), politically , socially (racism)... in the free world, we are taught to compete and earn our place in the world, even it means beating down the underdogs...

i don't know... am i making any sense?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #43
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
How can peace be a simple thing, when most humans are wired with survival-of-the-fittest instincts?

I mean, it's literally a dog-eat-dog world out there... economically (captialism), politically , socially (racism)... in the free world, we are taught to compete and earn our place in the world, even it means beating down the underdogs...

i don't know... am i making any sense?
Anthropologically, humans do not have instincts. Everything we have learned is a product of the society we live in. Unfortunately, the societies we have all grown up in are largely capitalist and have the "dog-eat-dog" mentality. Also unfortunately, that world view has infiltrated most human life. But if you look at societies like band societies, they don't engage in war to solve their problems. War developed when agricultural societies started to grow and become rooted in one spot. When people began to lose intimate contact with one another, they began to engage in the practice of war. And it has developed from there.

I am a pacifist and I will continue to be active and support a change in world-view so that we can all recognize how connected we are. Our society has not always been capitalist and hopefully this will not be the last stop on our evolutionary journey.

As gabrielvox said, "Peace IS the answer, its getting everyone sold on that concept that is the hard part."
Old 01-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #44
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by hippy

Anthropologically, humans do not have instincts. Everything we have learned is a product of the society we live in.
Um, Hippy. You know I love ya and admire your 24K heart, right?
I'm usually right with ya but have to disagree this time.

Humans don't have insincts? Tell that to anyone who's ever been attacked. Any mother who sees her kid in harm's way. Anyone who hasn't eaten in a week.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:12 PM   #45
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Um, Hippy. You know I love ya and admire your 24K heart, right?
I'm usually right with ya but have to disagree this time.

Humans don't have insincts? Tell that to anyone who's ever been attacked. Any mother who sees her kid in harm's way. Anyone who hasn't eaten in a week.
lol you should have heard my anthropology teacher trying to convice my class last semester that humans don't have instincts. But technically we don't. We aren't born with anything in us that says "as a mother, when my child is in trouble, I must protect it". That reaction in us is learned. We learn how to be mothers. We learn how to react when we are attacked. Humans have reflexes, such as breathing and muscle contractions when we touch something hot, etc. But everything else is learned.

The example my professor gave was with chimpanzees (who are the closest primate to humans). Suppose that a chimp is taken from it's mother as soon as it's born. It's raised by itself and has no one to learn from. No way to learn social patterns of behavior, no way to learn how to "mother", or how to take care of a child. Suppose that chimpanzee then has a baby. You will find fthat the chimpanzee has no ability to care for that infant chimp. She will have no knowledge of what to do with it or how to behave toward it, etc. Even when her baby is in mortal danger, she will be apathetic because she has never been taught that a mother *should* protect her baby. The same goes for if the chimp is put in contact with other chimpanzees. She will be lost as to how to deal with them as a consequence of never having learned that particular behavior. This analogy applies to humans in the same sense. Look at other cultures and you will find a different idea of "mother".

So all that was to show that our behaviors are learned. So if we teach peace and demonstrate peace, our children will grow up with that idea. Humans do not have an instinct to fight, though our society claims that we do. It is simply a matter of learning, and when we don't teach fighting, or we choose to unlearn fighting (as I have tried to do), then we can be successful as peaceful peoples.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot