PC Police watch your language!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Master, Slave, And Paper Feathers: The Latest Victims Of The PC Police

By John David Powell on 11/28/03
Printer friendly version

Now that the Christmas Season is upon us, it seems best to take note of the growing list of offenses deemed punishable by the self-proclaimed protectors of political correctness. Yes, Virginia, a time existed when Christmas was known as Christmas, not simply the Happy Holidays. It was not that Christian folks were callous toward their Jewish, Islamic, or pagan neighbors; Dec. 25 was the date agreed upon centuries ago as the day to celebrate the birth of Christ.

This is not the beginning of a tortured dissertation on the political correctness of Christmas. It is a poor attempt, instead, to introduce the latest victims of the PC vigilantes.

Pity the poor 1st graders of Madison School in Skokie, Ill., who were forbidden to don paper Pilgrim and Indian outfits as part of their Thanksgiving program, because Native American activists complained the costumes were culturally insensitive and promoted Hollywood-style stereotyping.

?At this age level, you let them dress up in feathers and do the little Indian thing, they'll grow up with that image in their head,? explained Leonard Malatare of the American
Indian Center (www.aic-chicago.org) in an interview with the Chicago Tribune.

Memo to Leonard: No. The kids will grow up thinking Indians are whiners and complainers who ruined their school play.

The Reuters news wire moved a story from Los Angeles about L.A. County officials asking computer makers, suppliers, and contractors to stop using the terms ?master? and ?slave? when referring to computer equipment. The request is the result of a discrimination complaint filed by an unidentified employee who noticed such labels on a videotape machine. Here is how it works: You put the original or field tape in the master machine on the left and make your edits on the tape in the slave machine on the right.

This assumes the machines are set up side by side. A top-and-bottom setup is a whole nuther column.

Master/slave also refers to primary/secondary hard-disk drives in the computer industry. And a server is not the person who forgets your water, yet expects a tip.

The L.A. County memo, which supplied no substitute monikers, pointed out that cultural diversity and sensitivity make the terms master and slave unacceptable. I dare you to use that argument in Mistress Noir?s Palace of Pain.

I predict the electrical supply industry will be the next victim of the PC vigilantes. Think about it: male and female cables, male and female plugs and sockets. Do these discriminatory terms promote heterosexuality over homosexuality? Then there?s that third prong thing that shows up sometimes. I don?t even want to go there.

A few years ago the managers of Stockport College of Further and Higher Education (www.stockport.com) in Great Britain banned the use of more than 40 ?offensive? words and phrases. ?Normal couple? and ?slaving over a hot stove,? were among the offending examples.

Stockport?s brain trust claimed ?taking the mickey,? ?lady,? and ?history? could offend homosexuals, slaves, the Irish, women, and ethnic minorities. ?Mad,? ?manic,? and ?crazy? were also right out, because they risk upsetting individuals who are mad, manic, and crazy.

Over the years, I have compiled a compendium of PC phrases guaranteed not only to please a thin-skinned poverty pimp, but also to make the user look goofy when engaged in conversation with an educated individual. I derived the PC guidebook from phrases gleaned from unsolicited emails, published remarks, unwanted suggestions, and fitful dreams.

For example, a thief is an asset liberator. The kid who tagged your house is not a gang member, but a member of a colorful neighborhood youth group. Your niece is not promiscuous; she is socially active. Your boss is not ignorant; she is professionally deficient. Uncle Goober is not a redneck racist; he is a culturally focused, insensitive racial oppressor.

A man is a penile person. An old person is chronologically advanced. A dirty old man is a sexually focused, chronologically advanced penile person.

A pervert is sexually dysfunctional.

One does not fail; one achieves a deficiency. One is not wrong, only differently logical.

Something is not the worst, just the least best.

One is economically unprepared, not poor. One is not rich, just an active oppressor of the economically unprepared.

One is not fired; one is relieved of employment responsibilities. One is not laid off; one experiences employment realignment. One is not unemployed; one is involuntarily leisured.

A Christian is an insensitive religious oppressor, while an atheist is a cosmically enlightened person, and an agnostic is deity indifferent.

A heterosexual is opposite-gender oriented. A homosexual is gender focused. A bisexual is sexually non-preferential.

The sad thing is that there are more where these came from, and the list gets longer every day.

Mundus vult decipi [/Q]

Well it started out of pure intolerance and hatred, but it's gone way out of control.

It went from teaching children not to use the 'n' word and progressed into this monster.

i played basketball all my life and now coach it... all throughout middle school, high school, and the first few years of college... there was a sprint called "the suicide." no matter what camp, coach, school, or whatever... it was called the same thing. as a basketball player you knew that if a coach wanted you to run a suicide, you started on one baseline, sprinted to the opposite baseline and back, sprinted to the opposite foul line and back, sprinted to half court and back, and sprinted to the near foul line and back... usually done in 30 seconds or under. the way most coaches did it, the team had to run another suicide for every person who didn't finish under 30 seconds. for example, if 5 people didn't make it, you had to run 5 more. fun times...

anyhoo... around my junior year in college, all of a sudden my coach told the team that we could no longer call the drill a "suicide," and that we would now call it a "line drill." other coaches changed the name to such silly things as "doing a rack" or "victories." now that i've started coaching, the league and school both specificly tell you not to call the drill a suicide, and actually suggest these silly names. just another victim of the PC police.

I don't know what's so appalling about not making light of suicide.

Perhaps the name of this drill was changed because of the problem of real suicide and suicide attempts, particularly among young people. But as someone who has friends and relatives who have attempted suicide (and one who actually did it), I think it's a good thing that society is taking steps to avoid trivializing suicide.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It went from teaching children not to use the 'n' word and progressed into this monster.

Even this became a problem when only white children were told not to use the 'n' word.

We can police the mouth but not change the heart.

I guess the time of the year is again upon us for the following:

A Politically Correct Season's Greetings To You All:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for these religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all... and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2004, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "AMERICA" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

(NOTICE: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.)

C ya!

Marty (who had this lying around in his Inbox for several years)

Popmartijn said:
I guess the time of the year is again upon us for the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral,
winter solstice holiday

This "winter solstice holiday" comment is geographically offensive to me and anyone else living in the southern hemisphere ...

My God I hate Political Correctness.
Pax's reply is precisely why. The problem is not the use of a word like suicide to describe an exercise drill, it is ignorance of the issue. Banning the term suicide is not helping the objector's cause. It is silencing a word which should never be silenced.

Rather than liquid paper out all these words, why dont we exert some of this boundless enthusiasm on working on these issues. Dont block out the word 'gay', spread tolerance for sexual orientation. Dont ban the word 'blacks', teach racial acceptance instead etc etc etc. In the example of the suicide drill, it, more than many is a case where too much advertising is not ever a bad thing. No one is belittling the issue or making fun of it. It is not actually actively promoting anything but to silence it is helping nurture stigma. Dont make people afraid to use any word. Use of these words which are deemed anti PC are fine when not used to express hatred or bias. To counter the times when they are used for such purposes, we shouldn't edit them out. It is not fixing the problem. PC's all a bit bandaid I reckon.

PC is all about empowering selective groups rather than promotion of tolerance. Find a word that you can deem "offensive" and you exert power over another.

:down:

paxetaurora said:
I don't know what's so appalling about not making light of suicide.

Perhaps the name of this drill was changed because of the problem of real suicide and suicide attempts, particularly among young people. But as someone who has friends and relatives who have attempted suicide (and one who actually did it), I think it's a good thing that society is taking steps to avoid trivializing suicide.

yea i see your point, but frankly, i see the point on ALL of these PC things... the question is when the hell does it stop? How come for years and years and years no one had a problem with these things, then all of a sudden a few people find it offensive and everyone in the world has to change?

Back
Top Bottom