PBS Program note Bill Moyers 25 April Iraq War Lies - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Bill Moyers may be the only sensible voice of reason in the entire US media. I will definitely be setting my DVR to tape this.
That'a because you're a librul.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Bill Moyers may be the only sensible voice of reason in the entire US media. I will definitely be setting my DVR to tape this.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I wouldn't worry. Nobody to the right of Hillary takes this guy seriously. He's about one notch less looney than Michael Moore. Another PBS program, "America at a Crossroads" - was educational and objective.

I mean, c'mon! You usually appear to at least put some reasoned thought into your comments, but this one is so out there it's just plain funny.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Triple that! Amen!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

I mean, c'mon! You usually appear to at least put some reasoned thought into your comments, but this one is so out there it's just plain funny.
Post a list of his documentaries. There is no way this is some sort of "neutral" voice.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 AM   #21
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I never claimed he was perfectly neutral. But to say "nobody right of Hillary takes him seriously" and cast him in a similar light to Michael Moore is absurd. I'm tempted to add "and you know that," but I'm not quite sure if it applies.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Perhaps comparing him to Michael Moore was bit of a hyperbole - however, I will stand by my assertion that the Right doesn't take him seriously. I did appreciate the "Power of Myth" though (more because of Joseph Campbell).

This man is accusing the press of being too Conservative and a tool for the Right - I haven't even heard the most adamant Liberals in Northern California come up with this sort of nonsense.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
This man is accusing the press of being too Conservative and a tool for the Right - I haven't even heard the most adamant Liberals in Northern California come up with this sort of nonsense.

i work in media, i know journalists, and i've been saying this for years.

it's not so much that the networks are made up of conservatives -- and most people who work in news are not social conservatives, though you'd be surprised at how social liberals get fiscially conservative once they start making 6 figures -- or liberals, for that matter.

the overall effect of the news clearly slants conservative for a variety of reasons. the news is, first and foremost, pro-corporation, since it is itself a corproation and since corporations advertise on the networks. secondly, there's been so much hand-wringing over the news having a "liberal" bias -- which Bill Kristol, the editor of the Weekly Standard, has even admitted was a fabrication, little more than "working the refs" -- that there's been an overcompensation to remove the appearance of bias. this is why networks have to present some sort of equivocation between, say, Evolution and Intelligent Design, or they try to present the "other side" of Global Warming. in truth, these are not two sides of an issue with equal merit, but the effect, due to the fear of the perception of bias, is to present the two as somehow worthy of equal time.

also, all of the major networks, CNN, and MSNBC are very centrist in their views -- sensationalist, too, but that's another issue -- as are the major newspapers. sure, you might get a liberal-leaning editorial in the NYT, but that does not influence the reporting (and let's not forget that Judy Miller, a star at the NYT, was tantamount to a mouthpiece for the administration in 2002/3). however, you do have clearly right-leaning newspapers and news outlets, such as Fox News, the Washington Times, etc. simply because the right-wing has certain news outlets in their back pocket does not mean that the left-wing has the same. they don't. most of what is derided as left-wing is as centrist as can be, but the presence of a large, well-funded, well-organized right wing media has the effect of pulling everything to the right.

this is, again, why i think the best possible news out there comes from PBS and NPR. they are funded by taxpayers and are thusly beholden to neither corporations nor ratings. journalists are allowed to be journalists.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
I will stand by my assertion that the Right doesn't take him seriously.
I really don't care who or what the Right takes seriously. Any credibility the "Right" had is shot now that they took so long to figure out that their president is a liar.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Perhaps comparing him to Michael Moore was bit of a hyperbole - however, I will stand by my assertion that the Right doesn't take him seriously.
This may be true in your circle of the far right, but it's not true for anyone "right of Hillary". I know several conservative friends who've appreciated some of his work.

Quote:

I do agree with this to a point. That's why I always get a kick out of someone who claims the media is liberal.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

and when was it hard to be to the Left of Hillary?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I do not think the press has to be neutral. They have to be truthful, and if the facts point in one direction so be it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I do not think the press has to be neutral. They have to be truthful, and if the facts point in one direction so be it.

agreed. the notion of "balance" is totally bogus.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i work in media, i know journalists, and i've been saying this for years.

it's not so much that the networks are made up of conservatives -- and most people who work in news are not social conservatives, though you'd be surprised at how social liberals get fiscially conservative once they start making 6 figures -- or liberals, for that matter.

the overall effect of the news clearly slants conservative for a variety of reasons. the news is, first and foremost, pro-corporation, since it is itself a corproation and since corporations advertise on the networks. secondly, there's been so much hand-wringing over the news having a "liberal" bias -- which Bill Kristol, the editor of the Weekly Standard, has even admitted was a fabrication, little more than "working the refs" -- that there's been an overcompensation to remove the appearance of bias. this is why networks have to present some sort of equivocation between, say, Evolution and Intelligent Design, or they try to present the "other side" of Global Warming. in truth, these are not two sides of an issue with equal merit, but the effect, due to the fear of the perception of bias, is to present the two as somehow worthy of equal time.

also, all of the major networks, CNN, and MSNBC are very centrist in their views -- sensationalist, too, but that's another issue -- as are the major newspapers. sure, you might get a liberal-leaning editorial in the NYT, but that does not influence the reporting (and let's not forget that Judy Miller, a star at the NYT, was tantamount to a mouthpiece for the administration in 2002/3). however, you do have clearly right-leaning newspapers and news outlets, such as Fox News, the Washington Times, etc. simply because the right-wing has certain news outlets in their back pocket does not mean that the left-wing has the same. they don't. most of what is derided as left-wing is as centrist as can be, but the presence of a large, well-funded, well-organized right wing media has the effect of pulling everything to the right.

this is, again, why i think the best possible news out there comes from PBS and NPR. they are funded by taxpayers and are thusly beholden to neither corporations nor ratings. journalists are allowed to be journalists.
Excellent post, Irvine.

And excellent point, Dread.

Simply because a journalist arrives at a conclusion that does not fall into your "camp" doesn't mean they're wrong.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone watch it? Hopefully they will have reruns.