"Patriots" and the flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hate it when people put way too many flags on their cars and they drive around like that. there's this one lady i see around town that drives around in a towncar with FOUR flags on her car, one coming out of each car window, its kind of annoying. how much more patriotic can you get, really.

That bugs me too Martha. My husband used to turn our porch light off when went to bed at night but it lights up our flag so I make him leave it on now. We do take it down in the rain.

The flags on cars don't bug me so much but when they are tattered, dirty and ripped up, TAKE THEM DOWN please!

it's funny that we're so upset by this, we are really the only country who puts this much stock in their flag.

but yeah martha, it pisses me off too. :mad:

our mp's in parliament had a huge discussion a couple of years ago (i forget when exactly) on whether or not having a mini flag on their desk was appropriate or not.

ya, i really dont get the big deal about flags. we know where we live, its not hard to forget.

Where I live a man was charged a fine for having a light on his flag and was ordered to turn the light off....

In addition to proper flag etiquet please never ever fly an admirality flag.

I found my school's flag crumpled in a ball in the custodian's office. I was fit to be tied.

I rescued it....although I was accused of stealing it.

I took it to my classroom and had my students, led by a Boyscout and Girlscout, fold the flag properly.

My students, now go out and raise and fold the flag with the custodian. Problem solved, nothing like a few ten year olds out there in the morning and afternoon making sure it is done right.

Last edited:
Flag Pole Pear said:
our mp's in parliament had a huge discussion a couple of years ago (i forget when exactly) on whether or not having a mini flag on their desk was appropriate or not.

ya, i really dont get the big deal about flags. we know where we live, its not hard to forget.

it doesn't remind us of where we live, it reminds us of our history, it's flown to give honor to our veterans and those who didn't make it back, which is why we're making such a huge deal about the etiquette now.

It's More Than That...

Lilly said:

it doesn't remind us of where we live, it reminds us of our history, it's flown to give honor to our veterans and those who didn't make it back, which is why we're making such a huge deal about the etiquette now.

In a very real sense, it DOES remind us of where we live. Don't forget that one of the primary purposes of a flag is to inform and confirm to people that the laws of the state represented by that flag are in full effect and force. It symbolises soverignty and authority. For example, under port authority, when a ship docks, the flag lets people know that when on that ship, the laws of that country are in effect. The flag represents the law of the land. Viewed in this light, the unadultered U.S. flag is of exteme importance, because it says "look, the Constitution of the United States of America are in full effect!" This is also reflected in the Star Spangled Banner:

...Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?...

I may be silly, but I do still get choked up sometimes by our national anthem, because I am a Patriot, and I see just how unimaginably *important* it is to see our flag flying over our country. It represents FAR more than mere patriotism, or honoring our past; it also and primarily says: we are under Constitutional law. Unfortunately, I see our Constitution crumbling before our very eyes these days, and I increasingly see adultered flags being flown. Once our flag is taken down, is adultered (as with the admirality flag), or I believe treated in a number of other anti-flag etiquite ways, it means we are NO LONGER UNDER CONSTITUTIONAL LAW. As I understand it, the U.S. flag will be treated much differently if we ever are under martial law. And the WAY our flag will be treated differently is MEANT to inform us exactly that. A sad, sad day that will be for all of us...

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to insinuate that it wasn't at all to show us where we are, but that yes, it's used to show where you are AND the other things I listed.

And I, as well as a great many number of other Americans, do get choked up during the National Anthem. Especially lately....it's just hard to swallow the gravity of what we're beginning right now.

And as far as the Constitution, we were advised that once our original government no longer remains effective that we should throw it out and reinstate a new government. I think we forget all to easily about that idea....

A question...why are people so concerned about "flat etiquette"? I'm absolutely not saying you shouldn't be or criticising you, I just wondered why it is. I certainly don't feel the same way about the UK flag and I'm fairly sure that feeling is shared by most people in this country so I just wondered why you think it's such a different issue in the US?

Can't say. We're pretty laid back about our flag here in Canada. I mean it is respected, but we don't worship it though. About the only time, I or other Canadians get indignant over the way our flag is treated was when our flag was flown upside down at the World Series. Its part of our national identity. we only get nationaistic if somebody does something to us, then we're just as bad as everyone else.

I'm not a big believer in nationalism but I do love my country.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
A question...why are people so concerned about "flat etiquette"? I'm absolutely not saying you shouldn't be or criticising you, I just wondered why it is. I certainly don't feel the same way about the UK flag and I'm fairly sure that feeling is shared by most people in this country so I just wondered why you think it's such a different issue in the US?

An excellent and valid question. Many of these idiots who insist on flying the flag in the dark and in the rain think that this somehow makes them more patriotic than me, someone who insists that our country adhere to the laws of our Constitution.

That, and it just pisses me off that they don't know when to fly their flags they bought at Walmart on September 12, 2001.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom