Patrick Buchanan: - "Is the Iran crisis for real?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45775

Snippet:-

"Are the Iranian mullahs close to acquiring the bomb? Has Iran violated the Non-Proliferation Treaty by restarting its conversion of yellowcake into uranium hexaflouride? The answer to both is no.

By a recent U.S. intelligence review, Iran may be 10 years away from a bomb. And under the NPT, Iran is allowed to enrich uranium for use in her own nuclear power plants. "

Last edited:
It sounds fairly reasoned and logical, coming from Pat Buchanan and WorldNetDaily. Has the world gone mad? :huh:

I'd be interested in others' opinions here too.

Melon

melon said:
I'd be interested in others' opinions here too.

I am willing to bet that some will attack the essay's source rather than address the arguments being made.....

From an Iranian point of view, it makes sense for them to go nuclear. Having been named one of the axis of evil, having the US invade Iraq which may result in permanent US military bases in that country, etc....I think Iranians see it as a good chance they're next on the hit list. For them, the a-bomb is a required deterrence (in the least). For the US, it's a security threat that needs to be pre-empted in case the nukes end up with terrorist groups.

Seems like a vicious circle of mindsets prompting each other onward...not good. Nukes, WMDs, terrorist connections...as so many people have said, the US shoulda invaded Iran after Afghanistan, not Iraq.

Ok, its hard to think anything that Paddy boy has to say, but, he has a point but I think he is missing another important point.

If they enrich uranium, then in turn they can sell that to terroist groups or to other countries.

I'm a bit split on the Iran issue, because they are a threat! Iraq isnt or wasnt nearly as much of a threat then Iran. But i've seen the mess that Iraq has turned into and dont want a repeat version. At the same time they could become very dangerous and the one thing that Bush fucked up is that now he will never get the support of the world and his people to go into Iran. Its to bad because it might need to come to that.

I think that everybody is forgetting that Irans nuclear ambitions go back before the Iraq war and indeed before September 11, the Mullahs have expertly played the international community to allow them to dominate the scene against their opposition without outside interference.

Iraq and Afghanistan are the keys to turning Iran around, flanked by democratic countries and with a strong internal movement for freedom

Check back in 10 years, in the meantime there is no need for any war with Iran ~ it would not help the situation.

the shiite majority is pushing for sharia in iraq, afghanistan is still mostly ruled by tribal warlords.. which 'democratic countries'? what 'internal movement for freedom'? now youre imagining things..

A_Wanderer said:
I think that everybody is forgetting that Irans nuclear ambitions go back before the Iraq war and indeed before September 11, the Mullahs have expertly played the international community to allow them to dominate the scene against their opposition without outside interference.

Iraq and Afghanistan are the keys to turning Iran around, flanked by democratic countries and with a strong internal movement for freedom

Check back in 10 years, in the meantime there is no need for any war with Iran ~ it would not help the situation.

Why the hell didn't we attack Iran? They're the ones that with the WMDs! Damn, George Jr! Spelling was never your thing....

unosdostres14 said:

Why the hell didn't we attack Iran? They're the ones that with the WMDs! Damn, George Jr! Spelling was never your thing....

you didnt attack iraq because its not a 20 million country with a dysfunctional army and a delusional dictator. its not easy prey, as iraq was. even US could not invade Iran without suffering heavy casualties. or you'd have to bomb them back to stone age.

Actually if you looked at the polling in Iraq you will find strong support for a democratic Iraq with federalism, only a minority (<30%) desires to see an Islamic state created, most want Islamic values to be reflected in the constitution but not exclusively. It is not an instant soup, it takes time and effort ~ principally on behalf of the Iraqi population and the religious and tribal leaders.

In Iran the younger generation is a lot more resistant to the Mullah's, there is popular discontent towards the political process reflected in the significant abstentions from the voting in the last election. The student movement etc. are all very valuable commodities in the region, pushing a military option when you can help internal opposition would be a massive mistake.

Back
Top Bottom