Pat Buchanan Quotes on Bush's Foreign Policy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Pat Buchanan Quotes on Bush's Foreign Policy

[Q]"The president now plans to hector and badger foreign leaders on the progress each is making toward attaining U.S. standards of democracy. ... This is a formula for `Bring-it-on!' collisions with every autocratic regime on earth, including virtually every African and Arab ruler, all the `outposts of tyranny' named by Secretary [of State] Rice, most of the nations of Central Asia, China and Russia. This is a prescription for endless war."

Do you agree? [/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: Certainly it is. Look, the United States of America--I dissent strongly from my friend. The United States of America has always been free and always been secure. There have been despotisms from time in memorial. There are 22 Arab states, not one of which is democratic, and the United States has not been threatened by any of them since the Barbary pirates.

In my judgment, what happened on 9/11 was a result of interventionism. Interventionism is the cause of terror. It is not a cure for terror. The idea that the president of the United States, as he said in his inaugural, is going to help democratic institutions in every region in every nation on earth is a formula for permanent war, Tim. And look, the president of the United States has no constitutional authority to do this. Where in the Constitution do we get the right to intervene in the internal affairs of countries that do not threaten us and do not attack us? If they don't, their internal politics are their own business. As Quincy Adams says, "America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the champion of freedom everywhere, but the vindicator only of her own."

[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: The president of the United States was profoundly mistaken. He has misdiagnosed the malady. He has misdiagnosed the reason for the attack, Tim. The United States was not attacked because we are free. Bin Laden was not attacking the Bill of Rights. We were attacked because the United--over here because the United States' military and political presence is massive over there. Bin Laden in his fatwah, his statement of declaration of war on the United States, said the infidels were standing on the sacred soil of Saudi Arabia. They want us out of the Middle East. They don't care whether we have a separation of church and state.

[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: We brought down the shah and we got the ayatollah. You bring down that Saudi monarchy, you destabilize that regime and Howard Dean, an Arab Howard Dean, is not going to rise out of the wreckage. That country is a nation whose people now admire and respect bin Laden, not George Bush. We cannot make the enemy the best of the good. Tim, look, we have had occasions, the last great crusade for democracy was Woodrow Wilson going across the sea with an army to make the world safer. We brought down all the monarchs and we got instead Lenin and Stalin and Mussolini and Hitler.

[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: Perhaps we agree because my argument is we do not go around the world militarily intervening in countries to change their internal policies the way we did, or claim to have done, in Iraq.

[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: If you believe in democracy...

MR. SHARANSKY: Yeah.

MR. BUCHANAN: ...that much, would you allow the fate of the settlers in Gaza...

MR. BUCHANAN: ...to be decided by all the people of Gaza? Let them vote on whether the settlers should stay or go. You think they should stay. I want to make one more point. The Israelis, when they invaded Lebanon to chase out the PLO, there was no Shia uprising against them. They called into existence that invasion and occupation did, Hezbollah, which eventually drove the Israelis out of Lebanon. Interventionism is not the cure for terror. It is the cause of terror.

[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: ...defending the frontier of Gaza. The question is: What are 8,000 Israeli settlers doing on that Palestinian land? They are the cause why Hamas won a 70 percent vote. You have got to stop occupying countries. That is the cause of terrorism. [/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: Imperial interventionism. You want to end terror...

MR. SHARANSKY: Right.

MR. BUCHANAN: ...stop it the way the British stopped it in Palestine. They got out. The French got out of Algiers. It ended. The Russians got out of Afghanistan. It ended. They got out of Lebanon. That ended it.
[/Q]

[Q]MR. BUCHANAN: Look, every American supports the right of Israel to exist and...

MR. BUCHANAN: ...almost every American supports American weapons to Israel to defend its national security and national existence...

MR. BUCHANAN: ...however, we do believe that Israel has got to give up the occupied territories in Gaza and the West Bank because this problem in the Middle East, which is caused there, is causing acts of terror, not only against you, but against us. It is making us hated in a part of the world where the United States was never before hated, was admired, if you will.
[/Q]

These are the words of a man who many of you probably disagree with on a daily basis. Is he speaking the truth on meet the press? Any thoughts?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6954712/

Old 02-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
New Yorker

I saw him on Sunday. I was astonished that I was agreeing with EVERYTHING he said. I wish he would be as candid on the other shows he appears on.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:02 AM
What sort of world is it when the supposed upholders of liberty the liberals are in agreement with Pat Buchanan.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I'm not a fan of his but I agree with what he's saying.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 08:02 PM
to me, he is making a lot of sense. the whole world sees whats happening to iraq, and if you think its gonna become a real democracy like bush is hoping for, youre in for a real disappointment.

the real war on terror has only begun, im afraid

thanks bush
Old 02-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

he is very consistent. crazy, anti-semetic, grossly homophobic, possibly racist, but consistent.

he's a true isolationist populist.

and Bush isn't a real conservative. Bush is a sentimental, idealistic "conservative" who wants government to run your life to an extent a liberal would never dream and who believes in the inherent, god-blessed goodness of all American intentions and the pluck of the US military to overcome any obstacle.

in other words, he's really fucking dangerous.

Buchanan is a realist.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks Bush, only in the next few decades will we see if such an ambitious policy will work but the results from both Afghanistan and Iraq already are positive.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Thanks Bush, only in the next few decades will we see if such an ambitious policy will work but the results from both Afghanistan and Iraq already are positive.

ambitious policies are nice. i encourage the growth of Arab democracy.

but if you're going to do it, do it right.

and a single day of voting, and a media-savvy process of dipping fingers in ink, will not make up for the lives lost, the lies told, and the enormous, enormous cost this has had on the american taxpayer due to constant bugling of nearly everything in the post-war process.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
to me, he is making a lot of sense. the whole world sees whats happening to iraq, and if you think its gonna become a real democracy like bush is hoping for, youre in for a real disappointment.

the real war on terror has only begun, im afraid

thanks bush
Have you seen only the bad news? And how do you know the future, do you have a crystal ball, or do you want us to fail in Iraq because you don't like our president?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I think Buchanan is probably right.

I hope he is not.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Just pessimistic I think, but of course you are when you only tune in and see bad news on the television ~ the reason that the Iraqi elections were such an odd story was that it showed the exact opposite of what many in the media had tried to convey ~ it was an abberation, but sure enough they got back to complaining that the Shiites had majority and that they were certain Iraq was going to turn into an Iranian style Theocracy within the year democratically.

But comeon, Pat Buchanan!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
pat buchanan is

we should to a double take when he starts making sense.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:02 PM
no i dont have a crystal ball but i dont think it is really necessary.

unless US puts an end to its antagonistic and intervensionist policy, we are going to see all of this escalate to another level. its plain for everyone to see. except bush and his followers
i guess.

and NO, i really dont want to see US fail because it is not going to endanger the US, but me and many people i know happen to live just next to iraq, and a destablized, messed up country will affect me and millions who live in the region, not the americans. if US leaves right at this moment, the region will fall apart. why? because americans came here in the first place! and they just wont admit they messed up and keep saying that theyre spreading freedom. thats plain b*shit. if you really think that US is spreading freedom and hope in iraq, maybe you should visit baghdad some time.

just because iraq had a joke of an election (no campaigning, tribal relations deciding the vote, under constant threat of physical harm, under invasion, and a large group of the country boycotting the election? come on) it doesnt mean it will stabilize in a year. maybe not even in ten years. maybe even longer.

the sad part is, americans PAY for this war, and that money could be used for more worthwhile and RIGHT causes. funny, if all that money was used for africa, the whole continent could be saved! think about it, 25 million iraqis, compared to hundreds of millions of africans. if bush really cared about saving lives and spreading freedom, there were better ways to spend the money they spent for this war.

now what it all comes down to is will it help in the war against terrorism? isnt it obvious? your president and the country he unfortunately represents is resented all around the world, more than it ever was. congratulations on creating a new recruitment ground for terrorists. why not attack the rest of the middle east as well, since they are all totalitarian regimes? maybe those people would enjoy FREEDOM and FREE ELECTIONS as well? but wait, sure, the others do whatever US dictates, so they can wait for a while.

the more i talk about it, the more all this pisses me off
Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

hi. i'm an american who (mostly) agrees with you.

but i do ask you to distinguish between americans, and the american government.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
deep breaths. that was a good rant.