Party of Life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
I found this pretty upsetting. Especially the HIV part.

In the latest New Yorker, Michael Specter has a positively chilling story on how theoconservatives and Christianists have waged a quiet war against some critical vaccines, especially against Human papillomavirus or HPV. A vaccine exists against this virus that would drastically reduce the numbers of cervix cancer cases. The religious right opposes it as a mandatory childhood vaccination, because it removes a disincentive to having sex:

"Religious conservatives are unapologetic; not only do they believe that mass use of an HPV vaccine or the availability of emergency contraception will encourage adolescents to engage in unacceptable sexual behavior; some have even stated that they would feel similarly about an H.I.V. vaccine, if one became available. 'We would have to look at that closely,' Reginald Finger, an evangelical Christian and a former medical adviser to the conservative political organization Focus on the Family, said. 'With any vaccine for H.I.V., disinhibition' - a medical term for the absence of fear - 'would certainly be a factor, and it is something we will have to pay attention to with a great deal of care.' Finger sits on the Centers for Disease Control's Immunization Committee, which makes those recommendations."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/content/?060313on_onlineonly01

This is right in line with their blocking of the morning after pill (not RU486), that is nothing more that a high dose birth control.

His attitude could even possibly affect Federal funding for a HIV vaccine.

Someone like Fingers should not be on a medical advisory panel. He represents an extreme right-wing POV that shouldn't be forced down the throats of ordinary young people.

Yes I remember this topic being discussed here before, so this is still going on?

There is no place for this moral judgment in matters of health as far as I'm concerned. Yes we can use our personal morality and responsibility to be wise about our own health, but there is no place for moral judgment from others in preventing disease (or pregnancy as far as the morning after pill is concerned) or in treating it when it exists. Health is far more important.

I have a friend that had cervical cancer at 25. She had never had children and wanted them badly. In the US they remove the entire cervix and you can never have children. SHe found a doctor in Canada that only removed the cancer making pregnancy a possibility. She saved her money as insurance wouldn't pay and did great. Now she's a mom.
If this vaccine had been available when we were young it would save many.

I'm not surprised. HIV isn't the only fatal pathogen that can cause the complete annihilation of one's immune system. However, it is the most stigmatized thanks to social conservatives.

I hope these people rot in hell. All the more ironic, considering how highly they think of themselves.

Melon

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/05/18/cancer.vaccine.ap/index.html

"A vaccine that blocks viruses that cause most cervical cancer is safe and effective and should be approved, a federal panel recommended Thursday. The drug maker said the vaccine could slash global deaths from the No. 2 cancer in women by more than two-thirds.

A Food and Drug Administration advisory committee voted 13-0 on five separate times to endorse Merck and Co.'s Gardasil. The anticipated cost of the vaccine, administered in three shots over six months, is $300 to $500 -- a possible impediment to widespread vaccination campaigns."

I think it should be given to men too, because it not only causes genital warts in men, but they can also pass it on to women who haven't been vaccinated. If we are serious about eradicating these strains of HPV, I think everyone should get it.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom