'Partial-birth' abortion ban upheld - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by babble

I researched this topic extensively several years ago, and I don't have the time at the moment to find all my sources (but I will as soon as I can), but basically in my findings I discovered that there is no evidence that this procedure is medically necessary for either the fetus or the mother and that
the majority of the IDX procedures being performed are not out of medical necessity.
Yeah, I would love to see your "sources". For I find it hard to believe, due to my own research and my understanding of humanity that many would make this choice due to "you know what, I've carried almost full term but now I don't want the baby".

Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #107
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Well, I agree with those types of bans because going ahead with those things has been determined to be medically unsafe. Leaving a brain-dead fetus in the mother's womb is more dangerous than removing it.
We're in 100% agreement on this.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by *Ally*

One of the reasons given for upholding the ban in yesterday's majority opinion was that a woman may not fully understand what the medical procedure entails, and therefore might come to regret her decision after the abortion takes place. this is an extremely paternalistic- and frankly sexist- reason for banning the procedure.
It's really idiotic, because doesn't the doctor have a duty to obtain informed consent to a procedure anyway? She's free to pursue him civilly if she feels that she was not properly informed of the risks and consequences of the procedure. In no other area of informed consent have the courts outright banned a procedure on the off-chance that the patient may not fully understand it.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:

Well, I agree with those types of bans because going ahead with those things has been determined to be medically unsafe. Leaving a brain-dead fetus in the mother's womb is more dangerous than removing it.

Lawmakers should never be involved in what options are available to patients for religious reasons. Actually, I don't like that lawmakers should be involved at all. It should be the other way around - the medical community discovers something to be very unsafe and dangerous and lawmaking is a reaction to protect us, not limit us.

Banning abortion has nothing to do with protecting us because it does just the opposite. It limits our rights.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It isn't always dangerous. Sometimes it's perfectly safe to carry an anencephalitic baby to term. The mother's life should not have to be in danger for her to perform this procedure on a fetus without a brain. Serious psychological harm = serious bodily harm, and should be viewed as such. If the mother would suffer great psychological harm, agony and trauma, she should have access to this procedure instead of being forced to carry a fetus which has no brain function and cannot survive more than some 36 hours on average just so some religious person out there is satisfied.

If you're religious and pregnant with an anencephalitic fetus, go ahead and carry to term. But you don't get to dictate to the rest of us what our rights should be in cases like this. It's unbelievable that conservatives crow about state intrusion constantly but are perfectly willing to engage in it here. Very self-serving.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

It isn't always dangerous. Sometimes it's perfectly safe to carry an anencephalitic baby to term. The mother's life should not have to be in danger for her to perform this procedure on a fetus without a brain. Serious psychological harm = serious bodily harm, and should be viewed as such. If the mother would suffer great psychological harm, agony and trauma, she should have access to this procedure instead of being forced to carry a fetus which has no brain function and cannot survive more than some 36 hours on average just so some religious person out there is satisfied.

If you're religious and pregnant with an anencephalitic fetus, go ahead and carry to term. But you don't get to dictate to the rest of us what our rights should be in cases like this. It's unbelievable that conservatives crow about state intrusion constantly but are perfectly willing to engage in it here. Very self-serving.
Precisely.

By "dangerous" I meant that childbirth always carries a level of risk, even if the mother doesn't have any medical conditions relating to the pregnancy. Something can happen, even with a healthy mother in a clean hospital. Some women may not want to keep those risks if they already know the baby has zero chance. Some might, and that's fine too.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #112
She's the One

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

So a stillbirth is not affected.

But giving birth to an infant that will die within days...you have no problem forcing a woman to do that.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #113
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but we'd like to think that women would do that. we need to think the worst of people to get ourselves emotionally roiled up.
And justify retaining control over them.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #114
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But can you at least see this is a step backwards? You are banning the one form of abortion that in the overall scheme of things is the most medically neccesary.

This is not the form of abortion one chooses as a means of birth control...
Yes, I see your point and understand it. Nothing good will come of this. I'd rather them do these things in broad daylight with people's knowledge rather than with coat hangers in some basement to keep themselves out of trouble. Abortions will still be going on, just not as safely or legally.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

why does everything have to be about control over women's rights? reading the description of what a partial birth abortion was bad enough hearing that the child is still ALIVE...what about the right for the child to live?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
why does everything have to be about control over women's rights? reading the description of what a partial birth abortion was bad enough hearing that the child is still ALIVE...what about the right for the child to live?
Have you read the whole thread? Have you missed the part that the majority of these procedures are done when either the child or the mother's life is at stake, or some other major complication?

How many women do you think carry almost full term and then decide, you know what I don't want the baby now?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

bvs, i've read thru most of the threads, and i can see the arguments. if the mother's life is at stake, then by all means, save the mother.

when it comes to the child, however, i speak from experience. there's always hope.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Exactly. What needs to happen now is one of the twits on the Supreme Court or in the Senate needs to have a daughter who needs to have one of these. Then we'll see laws that treat women as something other than baby-makers.
I don't have time right now to view this whole thread.....

..but I have heard interviews with people over the years working in Obyn/Gen clinics, and have had at least one direct conversation with a person who saw the "holier than thou " religious-right folks come sneaking in in to get an abortion when it was their daughter/wife etc who needed one!

A woman who has had a real life experienced should be saved verses, the potential to be lived life outside the womb of a near to term fetus/baby.

These judges are haters of women who claim/have {had} the right to direct their own lives AND critical Medical/Health desicions for the past 30 yrs.
Though the rights of women without money/ or acess HAS been whittled away/or not truely provided for in these past 30 yrs as well.

Can you hear the cries, see the uncontrollable bleeding trying to be stopped of women desperate enough to still get an abortion to SAVE their OWN life.

Fuck the Theocratic Religious Right [Dominonists & Recontructionists and others] trying to put Women back to ONLY being barefoot & pregnent!

MY statement ABove is NOT to disparage moderate to liberal House-of-Worship beleivers in any religion who believe women are full citizens of the USA {and arounf the whole world}who HAVE the right to make their OWN Desicions about such crucial aspects of their lives.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.afterabortion.info/news/depressionmsm.html

prozac anyone?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #120
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

What's your point, diamond?

Studys Show Late-Term Pregnancy Complications can Lead to Mothers' Death