Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History

[Q]Using a white teacher at Oberlin High School would send the wrong message to black students, said A.G. Miller, an associate professor of American and African religious history at Oberlin College.[/Q]

[Q]Phyllis Yarber Hogan, a member of the Oberlin Black Alliance for Progress, said a white teacher wouldn't be well-suited to teaching students about subjects like slavery.

"When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?" [/Q]

Thoughts anyone?

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2360897/detail.html

Old 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:29 PM
I think this is ridiculous. Granted, I'm white. But I didn't own the slaves (even though admittedly I am actually descended from a nineteenth century slave owner on my mother's side). I had an African-American history prof who really did not agree with the premise that whites can't teach black history. He was a Napoleonic scholar, and he thought that was about like someone telling him he couldn't teach French history because he wasn't French. Personally, I have been to about a zillion demonstrations denouncing racism, the Ku Klux Klan, and every other anti-black activity and group known to the human race. There's nothing preventing us knowing our stuff if we choose to teach black history and work really hard on our research and pass the tests.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I find this silly.

I've had a true blue American from Oklahoma teach me a course in Slavic history at university. He was one of the best profs I had. Should they have hired a Russian or a Czech instead? I don't think so.

The halls of academia should be centred on the best possible people teaching kids who are paying big bucks to get the best education they can.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 AM
people can teach other people.

its strikes me as quite simple.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I think this is ridiculous. Granted, I'm white. But I didn't own the slaves
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Personally, I have been to about a zillion demonstrations denouncing racism, the Ku Klux Klan, and every other anti-black activity and group known to the human race. There's nothing preventing us knowing our stuff if we choose to teach black history and work really hard on our research and pass the tests.
Yep. Exactly right.

Angela
Old 07-29-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

"the same type of person that did the enslaving"

I have no right to judge African Americans on this or any other issue, and I never would, but that just seems like an unproductive attitude to me.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:29 AM
The only way they are the "same type of person" is in skin color.

As a Caucasian woman who has spent the last several years working with minority children and teenagers, including several children who were born in Ghana, I really, really resent this.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
The only way they are the "same type of person" is in skin color.

As a Caucasian woman who has spent the last several years working with minority children and teenagers, including several children who were born in Ghana, I really, really resent this.
I agree. I think it's racist, to be perfectly honest.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:29 AM
well...i can sorta see what they're saying.

yes, it's ludicrous, but i can see where they're coming from.

i am getting my minor in american indian studies, and when i took my first course in it i was one of 3 white kids in my class.

i think the issue that they're trying to raise is that of perspective. before i had learned about TRUE american indian history i had a different perspective than i do now.

but if someone is a teacher, they should have the knowledge and perspective to be able to teach black history.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History
Group Of Parents Protest District's Decision

OBERLIN, Ohio, Updated 1:33 p.m. EDT July 28, 2003 -- A group of parents said they will fight a possible decision to allow a white teacher to lead classes in black history at Oberlin High School.

NewsChannel5 reported that a scheduling conflict could cause the district to reassign the black teacher who has taught the course for seven years.

Using a white teacher at Oberlin High School would send the wrong message to black students, said A.G. Miller, an associate professor of American and African religious history at Oberlin College.

"The message is that we are not concerned about the importance of your historical background ... that that is less important than a schedule conflict," said Miller, whose three children graduated from Oberlin High School.

Jaqui Willis, a black Oberlin parent, said the teacher is a role model and that removing him from the class would be detrimental to students.

The parents have protested the move to the school board, but the district's superintendent, Beverly Reep, has not commented on the case. Reep told parents at a school board meeting that scheduling issues would be addressed this week.

Schools and community leaders in the Cleveland area are split over the issue of whether blacks should be the only ones to teach black history.

In Cleveland, white and black teachers teach black history. A black teacher teaches black history at Shaker Heights High School, but a white teacher handles classes on oppression and human relations, both which deal extensively with race relations and slavery.

Little research has been done to determine whether same-race teachers lead to higher achievement by minority students. Ronald Ehrenberg, director of Cornell University's Higher Education Research Institute, said many researchers steer clear of the topic out of fear of being attacked.

Michael Williams, interim director of Cleveland State University's black studies program, said schools should choose a black teacher if that person is most qualified, not just because the teacher happens to be black.

If two teachers are equally qualified, Williams gives the edge to the black teacher.

"That person still has the advantage of the culture," said Williams, who is black. "They understand the nuances of the culture."

Phyllis Yarber Hogan, a member of the Oberlin Black Alliance for Progress, said a white teacher wouldn't be well-suited to teaching students about subjects like slavery.

"When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?"
Old 07-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

If it bleeds it leads.

especially on the drudge report.

This story seems more to be about parents that do not want a popular black teacher who is teaching this class to be reassigned.

now it is an international story about race.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

deep, that controversy is about the re-assignment of that teacher *and* the whole issue of blacks/whites teaching black history, history of oppression, etc, etc. That quote about "the same type of person" is what pisses me off. Like pax said the only thing that makes me the "same type of person" as the people who owned slaves is my racial background. I can understand how they think someone with an African-American heritage might be more familiar with racial oppression than a Caucasian person. That's fair game. But the quote pisses me off, and I don't think it's fair to say "whites shouldn't teach black history, period". Good teachers can teach, bad ones can't.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

so your roots go back to the plantation

verte,

please don't let me prevent you from being *pissed off*

but I did say more about, not only about.

I don't disagree with your *and*

everybody here seemed to think it was an *only* issue.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:41 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

This story seems more to be about parents that do not want a popular black teacher who is teaching this class to be reassigned.

now it is an international story about race.
It is about race. The quotes are disgusting and insulting.

If it was just about it being a popular teacher then the "RACE" card should not have been played by the parents. however it WAS. It has been made into a RACIAL issue by people who are BIGGOTED towards white people. Let's call it what it is...reverse racism.

If it was about the teacher, then lets talk credentials, lets talk experience, demonstrate that the white teacher is not qualified to teach the content.

The whole world is upside down these past few days. MLK must be really proud.

Peace
Old 07-29-2003, 08:49 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
If it was just about it being a popular teacher then the "RACE" card should not have been played by the parents. however it WAS. It has been made into a RACIAL issue by people who are BIGGOTED towards white people. Let's call it what it is...reverse racism.
Why "reverse racism"? If I remember correctly, the definition of racism does not talk about discrimination by some specific race.